Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #1561
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,799
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I'm guessing the the lack of posts about Monza reflects boredom or dissatisfaction with the Red Bull runaway.
Bernie needs to get onto this pronto and fix it if he's not going to lose. Nothing more effective at killing off viewer interest than no competition/race. F1 is far too predictable compared to 30 years ago
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #1562
GhoGho
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Massa confirms Ferrari departure

Details here
GhoGho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #1563
GhoGho
n00b

Oddometer: 7
massa-confirms-ferrari-departure

http://www.gpupdate.net/en/f1-news/300115/massa-confirms-ferrari-departure/
GhoGho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #1564
bxr140
Flame Bait

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlandr View Post
F1 is far too predictable compared to 30 years ago
F1 history is littered with predictability and dominance induced boredom.

The real difference from 30 years ago is that it's way more lucrative now. And...I suspect the people dumping big money into F1 place the actual racing action way down on their ROI table. Who cares what the cars are doing if your hospitality is full of important/powerful people?
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #1565
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post
F1 history is littered with predictability and dominance induced boredom.
That's true. There's always been periods of single-team dominance, usually technology driven.

I wish I could put my finger on what it is about the Vettel/Red Bull combination that leaves me cold. I've never been a fan of any particular team or driver in all the (many) years I've been following F1, nor have I ever felt so detached as in the past couple of years.

I see that Massa has announced that he'll be leaving Ferrari at the end of the season. I'll admit that I thought he was dangerously out of his depth when he first came into the formula and I still don't think that he ever had what it takes to win consistently but I have come to admire his stoicism over the years. It had to end sometime and Alonso has paid him the compliment of refusing to talk about next year while Massa is still his team mate. I hope he gets another seat, I'd like to see him released from the Ferrari straight-jacket for a season or two.

As for his replacement. It will be interesting to see Alonso and Raikkonen in equal machinery. Alonso may not like it but I think that he will be the one who comes out on top.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #1566
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
That's true. There's always been periods of single-team dominance, usually technology driven.

I wish I could put my finger on what it is about the Vettel/Red Bull combination that leaves me cold. I've never been a fan of any particular team or driver in all the (many) years I've been following F1, nor have I ever felt so detached as in the past couple of years.

I see that Massa has announced that he'll be leaving Ferrari at the end of the season. I'll admit that I thought he was dangerously out of his depth when he first came into the formula and I still don't think that he ever had what it takes to win consistently but I have come to admire his stoicism over the years. It had to end sometime and Alonso has paid him the compliment of refusing to talk about next year while Massa is still his team mate. I hope he gets another seat, I'd like to see him released from the Ferrari straight-jacket for a season or two.

As for his replacement. It will be interesting to see Alonso and Raikkonen in equal machinery. Alonso may not like it but I think that he will be the one who comes out on top.

Screw Massa.
I'm still pissed at him for taking Villeneuve's seat way back when.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 08:38 PM   #1567
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,928
I like Massa but he really never drove as well after his accident. I'm not sure there's a cause and effect there, but the fact remains he has been disappointing. So this move was inevitable. I doubt very much he'll show more somewhere else.

I'm wondering whether Ferrari are really all that keen to pay Kimi-money on top of Alonso-money. That's a lot of money-money. Maybe they prefer a hot and cheap kid like Hulkenberg?

I disagree that F1 doesn't care about close races. Over the last decade they've spent humongous amounts of money on rules changes designed specifically to increase competitiveness.

The great leveling effect of rules changes will kick-in next year, once again. Maybe another Brawn will emerge, before the big money and Adrian Newey at Red Bull assert themselves again.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:20 PM   #1568
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Hulkenberg will go to Lotus.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:45 AM   #1569
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,928
Oh, I see that Kimi to Ferrari is basically official. A one year deal with an option year. Hmm. Fernando's more mature these days, but will his head will explode if Kimi is faster? Even with their new investor, Lotus couldn't convince Kimi they had game. Pity.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:34 AM   #1570
overlandr
Temporal Shifter

Oddometer: 5,799
Quote:
I disagree that F1 doesn't care about close races. Over the last decade they've spent humongous amounts of money on rules changes designed specifically to increase competitiveness.

The great leveling effect of rules changes will kick-in next year, once again.
I agree. Bernie would be a fool not to monitor audience figures closely.

I recall that the first of Vettel's championships was only decided on the last race of the season and thus held one spellbound.

The rule changes since then appear not to have stopped the juggernaut from dampening enthusiasm and diversity.

In the past 4 years, if a series of races always results in the same guy winning each year, is it reasonable to term each event a "race"? Exactly what constitutes a "race"?? Surely, a significant element of unpredictability must be present for it to be termed so?
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:40 AM   #1571
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

It will be interesting to see who emerges on top at Ferrari. My money is on Alonso if only for the reason that Raikkonen will have to re-learn the Ferrari set-up. I'd be willing to actually put my money down if the formula wasn't changing next year - who knows how the changes will suit individual driver's techniques?

Raikkonen can be brilliant but he's always been a bit prone to dropping his chin when things aren't quite right. Alonso on the other hand has always given 10/10ths. It's the thing that sets Alonso apart from most of his rivals; Raikkonen, Vettel, Hamilton, all tend towards petulance when they feel let down, Alonso just seems to get angry and try harder. To give him credit, Webber is the same (and perhaps why he and Alonso are good friends?) but he just doesn't have the same talent.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:18 AM   #1572
Turder
Throttle engineer

Oddometer: 459
Quote:
I'm wondering whether Ferrari are really all that keen to pay Kimi-money on top of Alonso-money. That's a lot of money-money. Maybe they prefer a hot and cheap kid like Hulkenberg?
Santander is paying for Alonso and Shell is rumoured to pay for Kimi. Lots of rumours that Hulk was their number one pick to replace Massa, and they made a pre-contract or some other promise towards Hulk. But then things turned around as Kimi became available and Ferrari bulldozed over Hulk to get Kimi. Interesting to see what the outcome is and maybe they settle this behind the closed doors.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:22 AM   #1573
Turder
Throttle engineer

Oddometer: 459
And now it's official. Two-year deal for Kimi @ Ferrari: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109812

Alonso vs. Kimi
Old 09-11-2013, 05:26 AM   #1574
ScottDill
TANSTAAFL

Oddometer: 4,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turder View Post
And now it's official. Two-year deal for Kimi @ Ferrari: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/109812

Alonso vs. Kimi
That should be very interesting. When was the last time Ferrari had 2 number 1 type drivers?

In this case.....Go Kimi......
ScottDill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 06:28 AM   #1575
green hell
yawning or snarling

Oddometer: 19,924
https://twitter.com/Lotus_F1Team/sta...606912/photo/1

needless dickery
green hell is offline   Reply With Quote