ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 07:09 AM   #1576
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs
 
RedRocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 19,015
Cheers to Lotus for having a sense of humor.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #1577
bxr140
Flame Bait
 
bxr140's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: On high
Oddometer: 1,038
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I disagree that F1 doesn't care about close races. Over the last decade they've spent humongous amounts of money on rules changes designed specifically to increase competitiveness.
What I was teying to suggest was that the people behind the big money--specifically the sponsors--really don't care about the racing action. If they're dominating all the better, but I think more than anything else their involvement with the teams and organizers is most analagous to a casino-to-whale relationship. As long as the sponsors are getting what they want, they're going to keep spending the money.

The revenue Bernie and his henchmen gather is tied closer to racing action, but I honestly don't think theres as tight a relationship between action and viewership/gates as some here think. Did any of the bean counters complain during the Schumaher era? Did Spain care about anyone other than the fact that their man Alonso wasn't on top when they stayed home for a year or two after his Renault years?

Fans care about people (consider ferrari a person for the sake of this argument) more than passing. A cynic would suggest that any money Bernie dumps back into his toy train set in the name of "making the racing better" is really just an investment to shuffle the right names back to the top of the grid, and a ploy to keep any names (and associated sponsors) in the back of the grid.
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 07:24 AM   #1578
overlandr
Temporal Shifter
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Sydney
Oddometer: 5,791
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
It will be interesting to see who emerges on top at Ferrari....
That is the worrying trend - when off track action is more interesting than racing.
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #1579
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs
 
RedRocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 19,015
Ross Brawn to Williams?
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:36 AM   #1580
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.
 
A. T. T-W's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Centre of my universe
Oddometer: 4,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
It's an interesting idea and I think that in some respects it would suit Brawn - going back to where he began, to get away from a board of directors who probably don't really understand motorsport and may pull the plug at any time but most of all to get away from Lauda.

The problem would be that Frank is not an easy man to work for/with and I think that he'd not like to have the restrictions of having to have pay-drivers.
__________________
Archibald Tarquin Throttle-Whistle Esq.
A. T. T-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #1581
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 72,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
Alonso on the other hand has always given 10/10ths.
With one odd exception. Alonso cost himself two positions with a casual and indifferent drive at Monaco. He seemed resigned to not advancing in the race, drove sloppily and twice let cars by on a circuit where it's easy to block. That's on him. Very disappointing effort and, as you say, atypical.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #1582
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 72,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post
Fans care about people (consider ferrari a person for the sake of this argument) more than passing.
I disagree, and so do all the fan polls which the FIA conducted in the mid-2000's. Based on those polls, they enacted rules changes to enhance passing. Those polls are why we have DRS, amongst other changes.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #1583
car94
What's this Box for?
 
car94's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: West Central Missouri
Oddometer: 3,118
What the Hell happened, I went into a Coma during the race and wake up 3 days later to actual news in Formula 1!
__________________
Ride Your Own Ride

car94 screwed with this post 09-11-2013 at 05:21 PM
car94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:00 AM   #1584
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 72,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
It does set the imagination going, doesn't it? My first reaction was that Williams don't have enough money to be competitive. But Brawn made a go of his own short-funded team for a while, so it wouldn't be totally unfamiliar to him. ATT makes good points. A good one to wait and watch.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #1585
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs
 
RedRocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Location: SoCal
Oddometer: 19,015
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
It's an interesting idea and I think that in some respects it would suit Brawn - going back to where he began, to get away from a board of directors who probably don't really understand motorsport and may pull the plug at any time but most of all to get away from Lauda.

The problem would be that Frank is not an easy man to work for/with and I think that he'd not like to have the restrictions of having to have pay-drivers.


With an ownership stake I'd think its about time Frank lets go of the wheel to let someone with far more recent success take over.
RedRocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:48 PM   #1586
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 72,178
Quote:
Alonso is angry about the situation. One prominent team principal said in Monza last week: "Have you seen Fernando? He is very unhappy at the prospect of Kimi joining the team."
http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...ernando-alonso
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #1587
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.
 
A. T. T-W's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: Centre of my universe
Oddometer: 4,417
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Guardian journalist wins prize for stating the bleeding obvious.
__________________
Archibald Tarquin Throttle-Whistle Esq.
A. T. T-W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #1588
bxr140
Flame Bait
 
bxr140's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: On high
Oddometer: 1,038
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
I disagree, and so do all the fan polls which the FIA conducted in the mid-2000's. Based on those polls, they enacted rules changes to enhance passing. Those polls are why we have DRS, amongst other changes.
I guess I just dont buy "but that's what the polls said" at face value. Ask any fan of any series what would make it better and they're always going to say closer racing. Any idea what the polls actually asked? Like, specific questions?
bxr140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #1589
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 72,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxr140 View Post
I guess I just dont buy "but that's what the polls said" at face value. Ask any fan of any series what would make it better and they're always going to say closer racing. Any idea what the polls actually asked? Like, specific questions?
Yeah, I took one of them. It's been quite a few years and I can't remember the specifics, but yes, some of the questions invited answers about close racing/lead changes. Other questions centered around the advertised brands, as you'd expect.
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:13 AM   #1590
wxwax
Excited Member
 
wxwax's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Oddometer: 72,178
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
Guardian journalist wins prize for stating the bleeding obvious.
Yes, but with quotes!
__________________
Sid.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:22 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014