Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2013, 05:18 AM   #1801
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post
I would think that if they owe him money PR work is the last thing on his schedule.

another article on the drama...

LINK

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:30 AM   #1802
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Grosjean fastest in FP1

aero improvements at Sauber? more downforce version

and less downforce version

Williams... grasping at straws?

rain tires... desert... OK

the short car for Kimi

and apparently Alonso has a rotating camera as a trial.. should make it interesting.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:35 AM   #1803
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,495
^^ Thanks for the link. Who knows what is going on for them but the comments from Lopez sound warm and real.

Raikkonnen has pretty much pulled Lotus out of the wilderness and he's obviously able to demand credit for that. And it's due.

Great to see Grosjean doing so well, but it's easy to imagine he'd be still floundering if not for the - well, shall we say the fire and ice man - showing what could be done with that car.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:39 AM   #1804
boinoodle
Old and Cautious

Oddometer: 978
Fp1

Watched the Sky Sports stream, Alanso's 180 degree camera is very cool. Saw a sweep shot as he went around the hairpin, hope to see some good passing shots on Sunday.

Grosjean is using the longer wheelbase car, or that was my impression from the sky interview with Boullier

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life
Lord John Whorfin
boinoodle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 05:42 AM   #1805
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
^^ Thanks for the link. Who knows what is going on for them but the comments from Lopez sound warm and real.

Raikkonnen has pretty much pulled Lotus out of the wilderness and he's obviously able to demand credit for that. And it's due.

Great to see Grosjean doing so well, but it's easy to imagine he'd be still floundering if not for the - well, shall we say the fire and ice man - showing what could be done with that car.

I think it is pretty safe to say no one is really a Lotus fan... maybe a few but.. not many (my mate Kevin would tell you it's "not bloody Lotus" and refers to them with an asterisk
There are legions of Kimi fans however, and at the end of the year we'll all be cashing in our black & gold for red. Lotus is pretty active on social media, and they have done a fantastic job, but after India I think they found out pretty quickly which direction the fans sympathy went.

Hopefully we have another Kimi win before the end of the year

Old 11-01-2013, 05:44 AM   #1806
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Alonso's rotating camera

Old 11-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #1807
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
There are legions of Kimi fans however, and at the end of the year we'll all be cashing in our black & gold for red. Lotus is pretty active on social media, and they have done a fantastic job, but after India I think they found out pretty quickly which direction the fans sympathy went.

Hopefully we have another Kimi win before the end of the year
Would love to see another Kimi win. BUT ... sounds like "Get out of the fucking way" or however it went might have pressed lots of Kimi not-so-cool buttons. I've not seen the twitter responses. To me though, from how it looked on TV he was struggling to accept the predicament he'd got into, and I'm a little disappointed if he's objecting to having had that pointed out publicly. Cool is all very well, but it's always easier to be cool when you're winning.
Old 11-01-2013, 12:21 PM   #1808
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

sounds like pay is a big deal.....

from the BBC

Quote:
Kimi Raikkonen says he may not take part in the final two races of the season if his Lotus team do not fulfil a promise to solve a financial dispute.
Raikkonen, who decided to race in Abu Dhabi at the last minute, says he has "not been paid a single euro all year".
"I came here only because, hopefully, we found an understanding," he said.
"Hopefully it will be fixed and we can finish the season. If it's not dealt with as it should be, we end up in an unfortunate situation."
Play media

Raikkonen ice cold on team radio

Raikkonen's Lotus salary is eight million euros (6.7m) plus a bonus of 50,000 euros (42,000) a point. That means Lotus so far owe him 17.15m euros (14.5m) this year.
He was also not paid in 2012 until the end of the season.
Lotus have cash-flow problems and argue they need to take care of their employees first because Raikkonen is already a multi-millionaire and does not need the money to live.
Raikkonen, who signed to race for Ferrari in September because Lotus could not give him the guarantees he was seeking about their financial stability, said: "I understand the team side of it, but when you have been put in a position and told different stories...
"If people think you don't work for the team or you don't care what happens it is not exactly true.
"I am only here because I enjoy the driving. But there are too many other things that get involved, a big part of it is business. We all try to make the best out of it. It is sad we end up in the position we are."
Team boss Eric Boullier said: "Yes we still owe him some money. It is a never-ending story and I am not here to put something on the fire."
Raikkonen was also upset at the last race in India, when the team's trackside operations director Alan Permane swore at him on the pit-to-car radio when ordering him to move over for team-mate Romain Grosjean towards the end of the race.
Play media

Formula 1: Abu Dhabi Grand Prix highlights

Raikkonen admitted he had not been pleased to be talked to in that way but said that was not "a big part" of his unhappiness with the team.
Raikkonen also rejected suggestions he would not try to beat the Ferrari drivers in the race because Lotus and the Italian team are locked in a battle with Mercedes for second place in the constructors' championship.
"I try to do the best I can in every race," he said. "It is not the happiest moment when we have difficulties. I still try to do my best. I have no reason to come here and just drive around."
Boullier admitted Lotus's two main options for a driver to replace Raikkonen in 2014 were Sauber's Nico Hulkenberg and Williams's Pastor Maldonado.
"We have different options open," Boullier said. "Hulkenberg and Maldonado have contracts ready to sign, not signed. We have a couple of other options. Once we decide the strategy of the team, we will pick up the options we want."
He admitted a potential investment deal with a US-Middle Eastern consortium called Quantum could play a key role.
"We want first the interest for the team and one of them is to make sure we can pay them every month," he said. "If we can close the deal with Quantum it could be a different story."
Lotus would prefer to take Hulkenberg, but may be forced to sign Maldonado, who potentially has an annual 30m budget from Venezuela's state oil company, if the Quantum deal does not come off.

Old 11-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #1809
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,187
Yeah, Buxton's speculation was wildly off base. This is a serious dispute between team and driver and it besmirches Lotus' reputation. This pay dispute has been going on for a long time, now.

I know Lotus is struggling for funds and I know their new sponsorship deal is taking time to close, but stiffing your star is a really dumb idea. Why would a sponsor want to align their brand with team that has a tatty reputation? Bad business for Lotus.

I like will Buxton's enthusiasm, but he's naively pro-establishment. His predecessor, Peter Windsor, was also pro-establishment, but for his own cynical, self-advancing reasons. We've yet to be a given a true reporter to do the pit work on US F1 broadcasts.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #1810
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
sounds like pay is a big deal.....

"Raikkonen's Lotus salary is eight million euros (6.7m) plus a bonus of 50,000 euros (42,000) a point. That means Lotus so far owe him 17.15m euros (14.5m) this year.
"He was also not paid in 2012 until the end of the season.
"Lotus have cash-flow problems and argue they need to take care of their employees first because Raikkonen is already a multi-millionaire and does not need the money to live."

from the BBC

Wow. Add that up and it really does sound like they could have cut him some slack on the radio. No wonder he was pissed.

However, from the same piece:

"Team boss Eric Boullier said: 'Yes we still owe him some money. It is a never-ending story and I am not here to put something on the fire.'"

So there might be another side to it. Usually is.
Old 11-02-2013, 04:46 PM   #1811
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
Wow. Add that up and it really does sound like they could have cut him some slack on the radio. No wonder he was pissed.

However, from the same piece:

"Team boss Eric Boullier said: 'Yes we still owe him some money. It is a never-ending story and I am not here to put something on the fire.'"

So there might be another side to it. Usually is.
Kimi has a contract Lotus is not honoring, yet Kimi continues to rack up points for Lotus. If there is another side to this story it's pretty tough to imagine what it could be.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 11:08 PM   #1812
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paebr332 View Post
Kimi has a contract Lotus is not honoring, yet Kimi continues to rack up points for Lotus. If there is another side to this story it's pretty tough to imagine what it could be.
Oh I don't know. The situation was the same last season. The difference seems to be that this year he's not got a mathematical chance of the championship at this point and is leaving the team.
Old 11-02-2013, 11:55 PM   #1813
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,187
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
Oh I don't know. The situation was the same last season. The difference seems to be that this year he's not got a mathematical chance of the championship at this point and is leaving the team.
I should have thought that not being paid during the season two years in a row is worse than just for the one year. It's not the sort of thing you get used to. I agree that his leaving the team plays into it: He's probably worried they'll stiff him. With the way Lotus run their operation, that seems like a reasonable concern.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013, 01:11 AM   #1814
A. T. T-W
Can't be bothered.

Oddometer: 4,422
He got his money last year once the points bonus to teams had been tallied-up. There's no reason to believe that Lotus would not do the same again - if they did default, the resulting bad PR would be very much worse than delaying payment to a multi-millionaire.

He's off to Ferrari. He's pissed-off that Lotus didn't give him a car that permitted him to win another championship. At best it's an exercise in destabilising what will be a competitor team next season, at worst it's just churlish behaviour.
Old 11-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #1815
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. T. T-W View Post
He got his money last year once the points bonus to teams had been tallied-up. There's no reason to believe that Lotus would not do the same again - if they did default, the resulting bad PR would be very much worse than delaying payment to a multi-millionaire.

He's off to Ferrari. He's pissed-off that Lotus didn't give him a car that permitted him to win another championship. At best it's an exercise in destabilising what will be a competitor team next season, at worst it's just churlish behaviour.
So failing to honor a contract because the other party is a millionaire is okay in your book? BTW, the team principles at Lotus are also millionaires.

Once again, despite the poor treatment (no pay), Kimi continues to score points for the team. Would you be so understanding if your employer failed to pay you?
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote