Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #1831
HarveyMushman
commutingmysentence

Oddometer: 16,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post

I like will Buxton's enthusiasm, but he's naively pro-establishment. His predecessor, Peter Windsor, was also pro-establishment, but for his own cynical, self-advancing reasons. We've yet to be a given a true reporter to do the pit work on US F1 broadcasts.
What?! F1 is populated with self-serving strivers and opportunists? Don't do me this way, Sid.

photo galleries
HarveyMushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 12:52 PM   #1832
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,142
We'll see if anyone goes broke next year with all the new bits.
So many teams today have next to NO sponsorship.
So many cars are almost bare of logos now.
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #1833
ludger
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
boring

F1 used to be exciting now the same person wins every race.I cant believe that he is so much better than everyone else.Funny that his team is as good at cheating as Shumacker's was.I know I spelled Shumacker wrong.
ludger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:37 PM   #1834
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 73,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
better money management.. just like any business
Those are great suggestions by Gary Anderson. The rich teams don't much like the idea of spending caps or cost controls, for the obvious reason that their money is what makes them winners.

And since the rich teams are disproportionately influential, it seems that any serious effort to control spending in F1 is far away, perhaps even unreachable.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #1835
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludger View Post
F1 used to be exciting now the same person wins every race.I cant believe that he is so much better than everyone else.Funny that his team is as good at cheating as Shumacker's was.I know I spelled Shumacker wrong.
I don't think Ferrari cheated. They didn't need to. They basically had their own in-house tire manufacturer. If this season has proven anything, it's that tires can make the car.

Personally, I do believe that Red Bull at a minimum have pushed the rules, at a maximum have outright cheated, during Vettel's run of titles. We'll probably never know for sure.

But the circumstantial evidence is pretty strong. When a car builds up a 26-second lead in just a lap or two, it's not the driver and it's not the tires and it's not fiddly bits of aero. It's a car which is fundamentally different.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 11-05-2013, 04:44 AM   #1836
WildAnCrazymtl
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,035
Quote:
I don't think Ferrari cheated. They didn't need to. They basically had their own in-house tire manufacturer. If this season has proven anything, it's that tires can make the car.

Personally, I do believe that Red Bull at a minimum have pushed the rules, at a maximum have outright cheated, during Vettel's run of titles. We'll probably never know for sure.

But the circumstantial evidence is pretty strong. When a car builds up a 26-second lead in just a lap or two, it's not the driver and it's not the tires and it's not fiddly bits of aero. It's a car which is fundamentally different.
Refresh my memory, when and where did this happen?

Old 11-05-2013, 05:50 AM   #1837
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,080
I think they will pay him...

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #1838
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Why only one car and not two (Webber's)? If they had such an advantage, why not use it on both cars?

SVN/XRR/Christini
PeteN95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #1839
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Why only one car and not two (Webber's)? If they had such an advantage, why not use it on both cars?

double the chances of being caught?

conspiracy theories abound...

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #1840
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
There could be many reasons. Top of my list is that Webber is leaving the team and they don't want him to know their secrets.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 11-06-2013, 06:47 AM   #1841
car94
What's this Box for?

Oddometer: 3,168
Cool2 He may be that good.

Quote:
They only need one to win the championship. Look at the disparity following the weeks when they had to tell Webber to get out of the way. They were trying something new on his car and it worked, Webber gets in front if only by a little and then they tell him to back off. The next week they make the change to Vettel and Webber is slower and SV gets a 20 second lead in the 1st lap. Or Vettel is 20 seconds faster than all the other drivers in F-1.
If The tri manager head at Mercedes doesn't F things up Braun will be back in the Hunt next year. And Ferrari will have someone who knows what he is doing behind the wheel. We will see if SV is that good.
Old 11-06-2013, 06:50 AM   #1842
Thumpermeister
roost maker

Oddometer: 2,377
Quote:
Originally Posted by ludger View Post
F1 used to be exciting now the same person wins every race.I cant believe that he is so much better than everyone else.Funny that his team is as good at cheating as Shumacker's was.
With a few other drivers finally winning titles and several constructors looking competitive after the Schumacher era, I was just getting interested in F1 again until Vettel came along!
Still, it's hard to bash the guy for being an incredible driver. I finally watched a few races in a row to get back up to speed with the sport. Yikes, Vettel has a couple seconds on the field after the first lap and wins by over 30 seconds...with (gasp) mighty Ferrari and McLaren struggling to make the podium? Sure the car is good, but the same as his team mate who is no slouch. I can't remember anything like this level of race dominance in the past...including Michael. Incredible, but not for my level of interest unfortunately.
Thumpermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 10:48 AM   #1843
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
There could be many reasons. Top of my list is that Webber is leaving the team and they don't want him to know their secrets.
He wasn't leaving until mid season, or are you suggesting the cheating just started recently?

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 11-06-2013, 10:49 AM   #1844
PeteN95
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by car94 View Post
They only need one to win the championship.
Drivers championship yes, but the manufacturers championship requires two good cars.

SVN/XRR/Christini
Old 11-06-2013, 02:23 PM   #1845
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
He wasn't leaving until mid season, or are you suggesting the cheating just started recently?
I'm not sure when they got the traction control, or whatever it is, fully mastered. Clearly, getting the more durable tires helped their technology.

But whatever it is they're doing, there's no doubt whatsoever in my mind that it went into Vettel's car first.

Red Bull have a documented history of doing that, including taking good bits off of Webber's car and putting them on precious baby's.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan