Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 04:05 PM   #646
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN95 View Post
Yes, you and Waxy have listed some strong evidence of the Red Bull cars dominance?!?
Other than lap times, qualifying positions and race results, is there additional evidence you need?

The Ferrari was a dog last year. I don't believe there's a person in F1 who denies it. Ferrari themselves were openly appalled by their car's lack of pace coming out of winter testing. For the second time in as many years, they've torn apart their wind tunnel and are now on the second rebuild.

This year Ferrari were quite pleased coming out of testing. And indeed, their pace so far this season has been promising. Even Massa (how it pains me to write that!) is showing promise in the new car.

I don't mean to come off as being high-handed. But anyone who thinks Ferrari had a good car last season either wasn't paying attention or doesn't want to acknowledge the obvious.

Alonso drove the wheels off that thing. He had a stunning season. That it took a string of late season wins for Vettel to surpass him was a ridiculous achievement. I don't like Alonso, but the man is a superb driver. He single handedly saved Ferrari last season. Without him, they would have been humiliated. His performance may have been what convinced Ferrari to re-sign Massa. Sort of a gesture of gratitude, if you will, because Massa will never threaten Alonso's position as top dog.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #647
Ace100
Expert Tomfoolerist

Oddometer: 412
I agree. The real story of the season last year was Alonso brilliantly driving a lackluster car high into the points throughout the season. It was awe inspiring. I don't think he's someone I'd like to hang out with but he is, without question, one of the all-time greats.
Ace100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:42 AM   #648
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,487
I'm just another face in the crowd and don't know much about the tech, but what has bothered me in the past few years is all this tinkering of the regs, presumably to sort of level the playing field. But it also manufactures a phoney result. Both Red Bulls and Benz were slowed down to save tires and/or to conserve fuel. That last point is what, deference to the environmentalists? WTF, does two miles to the gallon instead of 1.5 really help save the planet? IMO, if one really wants to see who the best drivers are, give each one the same car, same set-up, and unlimited tires and fuel and let 'em rip. And the 'he who brings the most cash to the team gets to drive' is out of control.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:14 AM   #649
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,300
well I know who I'd be cheering for at Red Bull....

Quote:
Raikkonen is an option for Red Bull seat says Mateschitz

The Malaysian episode keeps generating rumors amid the internal friction in the team.
Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Kimi Raikkonen is coveted for many teams (Lat Photo)

April 2nd, 2013 (GMM).- Kimi Raikkonen is "a candidate" to replace Mark Webber at Red Bull, team owner Dietrich Mateschitz has admitted. Once again, the speculation game starts and it will take time to fade away.
In the wake of the 'Multi-21' team orders affair, Red Bull denied speculation Webber's role as teammate to world champion Sebastian Vettel is now untenable.
But even billionaire Mateschitz, a known strong supporter of 36-year-old Webber, agrees that the Australian could leave at the end of his 2013 contract.
"Whether he retires, only he will choose," Austrian Mateschitz told Speed Week.
"(But) Mark is definitely a candidate for 2014.
"He is always welcome with us. So too would be a quick junior like Vergne or Ricciardo from the Toro Rosso team," he added.
"Sorry, I know it's a diplomatic answer which leaves everything open, but that's how it is. Everything else is pure speculation."
Fascinatingly, Mateschitz also mentioned Finn Raikkonen - a close friend of Vettel's - as also potentially in the running for a 2014 seat.
Often mentioning the 2007 world champion in interviews, Mateschitz is an open admirer of Raikkonen's, having sponsored the 33-year-old's two year rallying foray in 2010 and 2011.
Contradicting April Fool rumours that Raikkonen has announced his impending retirement, Mateschitz said: "Kimi is cool and fast and always a candidate."
Germany's Bild newspaper reported that Webber has "already been in contact" with Porsche officials, regarding a new 2014 prototype team for the famous marque at Le Mans.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #650
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,590
RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #651
WildAnCrazymtl
Political Prisonor

Oddometer: 6,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocket View Post

Is this for real??? This has to be photoshop!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #652
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildAnCrazymtl View Post

Is this for real??? This has to be photoshop!
yup

he's not nearly cool enough for that shirt... smug twat

g容g screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 09:46 AM
Old 04-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #653
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 76,837
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
I'm just another face in the crowd and don't know much about the tech, but what has bothered me in the past few years is all this tinkering of the regs, presumably to sort of level the playing field. But it also manufactures a phoney result. Both Red Bulls and Benz were slowed down to save tires and/or to conserve fuel. That last point is what, deference to the environmentalists? WTF, does two miles to the gallon instead of 1.5 really help save the planet? IMO, if one really wants to see who the best drivers are, give each one the same car, same set-up, and unlimited tires and fuel and let 'em rip. And the 'he who brings the most cash to the team gets to drive' is out of control.
Less fuel = less weight = faster car.

More math than I can handle goes into calculating how much of a fuel load a car should carry each race.

IndyCar is almost a spec series. NASCAR pretty much is too. It's expensive, but I like that F1 isn't. I like that Red Bull and Ferrari find speed in different places on a track. I like that they have separate awards for constructors and for drivers. For me, the current F1 is the best the series has been in what, 15-20 years?

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:31 PM   #654
WildAnCrazymtl
Political Prisonor

Oddometer: 6,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
yup

he's not nearly cool enough for that shirt... smug twat

He's too cool... But baised on the "smug twat" comment I will assume you are not a big V3ttel fan...

Ps the 3 is for the three WDC...

But hey I think V3ttel is the best driver in F1 since the Shumi years.... and I am right !

Old 04-02-2013, 02:44 PM   #655
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

I never liked Shumacher either...
but hey, thats OK. it wouldn't be much fun if we all liked the same driver.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:35 PM   #656
Fajita Dave
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 717
If they could gather enough teams to enter F1 I'd love to see single car teams only. There would be no team mate that you'll have to yield to or compete with. The only team order a driver would receive is how to maximize their finishing result with nothing else to get in the way of that.

Fajita Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:32 PM   #657
RedRocket
Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer: 19,590

RedRocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #658
overlandr
Dystopist

Oddometer: 5,856
Vettel's apparent lack of magnanimity is another factor towards his unpopularity
overlandr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #659
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

the highlight reel is up from official F1

http://www.formula1.com/video/

Old 04-05-2013, 02:11 AM   #660
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post
The teams don't fill up the cars with any more fuel than is necessary to make it to the end of a race with a sufficient amount left in the tank for officials to inspect. Every extra kilo of fuel you're carrying is an extra kilo of weight you're going to need to accelerate and turn. In most cases, this leads to the cars being "under-fueled" meaning if the drivers drove at qualifying pace the entire race, they'd run out of fuel before they could reach the end of the grand prix. So, they have to exercise some fuel management during the race. On-track conditions (weather, battles for position, etc.) and just downright fuckups often throw a wrench of fuel strategies so we sometimes see more fuel saving at the end than at other times. And obviously, you need to protect your tires otherwise your pace will fall off as they degrade and you'll have to come in for another pit stop. It has nothing to do with environmentalism and everything to do with making sure the cars actually make it to the checkered flag.

With respect to your other point, what you're asking for is spec series racing and F1 isn't about that (nor should it be). Sure, it would be great to see how all the drivers would stack up running identical vehicles with personal setups they prefer, but F1 is also about the engineering of the individual teams. The technological arms race that takes place throughout a season is part of the appeal. That said, I think every F1 fan wants more close, wheel to wheel racing.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote