Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Racing
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2013, 01:32 AM   #1021
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 75,930
Pretty good for a race that has no passing. Perez's kamikaze moves made for entertaining, if ultimately destructive, racing. Fo a while there, he was making Button and Alonso look like old men who were past it.

I think it was sometime last season that I finally realized that Rosberg was a mighty fine driver trapped in bad cars. I'm glad he finally won his Grand Prix. Hamilton's no slouch so he's a good benchmark by which to measure Nico.

Nice to see Sutil get some redemption.

When's the last time Alonso was passed three times for position in a race? It's like he was asleep for Perez's dive into Nouvelle. I was wondering if he was resigned to finishing sixth and going through he motions, perhaps lost his alertness? Seems to me his late turn-in style cost him Rascasse and the hairpin to Button and Sutil. Very unusual and very costly for points.

What bugs me about the broadcast on US TV is that they treat every race like it's the first one Americans have ever seen. Matchett, who's pedantic at the best of times, goes over the same damn rules every single time. Leigh Diffey kindly explained to us n00bs that each circuit is broken into three parts. Actually, Diffey shouted it, because that's how he talks.

I use my mute button a fair amount.

Good thing I set the DVR for 3 hours. Barely got the whole race. If you miss the race, NBC Sports Channel always airs a rerun the next day. It's on on Monday at 11:30pm.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:40 AM   #1022
wxwax
Excited Member

ps Hamilton has now paid his debt to Rosberg, losing a podium place to hold off the Red Bulls so Rosberg could pit and keep the lead.

Sounds like Mercedes might get a fine or points deduction, but keep the race win. The TV boys claimed Ferrari had done a similar Pirelli test before Spain, but I'm not seeing that reported anywhere.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-27-2013, 05:30 AM   #1023
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
ps Hamilton has now paid his debt to Rosberg, losing a podium place to hold off the Red Bulls so Rosberg could pit and keep the lead.

Sounds like Mercedes might get a fine or points deduction, but keep the race win. The TV boys claimed Ferrari had done a similar Pirelli test before Spain, but I'm not seeing that reported anywhere.
Ross Brawn quoted as saying Hamilton not ordered to slow field. Who knows where the real truth lies.

Quote:
When's the last time Alonso was passed three times for position in a race? It's like he was asleep for Perez's dive into Nouvelle. I was wondering if he was resigned to finishing sixth and going through he motions, perhaps lost his alertness?
Alonso said something to the effect of "no point in racing around people with nothing to loose" (WDC-wise) so he just circulated instead of getting in a crash.

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:33 AM   #1024
Paebr332
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 881
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
Ross Brawn quoted as saying Hamilton not ordered to slow field. Who knows where the real truth lies.

Alonso said something to the effect of "no point in racing around people with nothing to loose" (WDC-wise) so he just circulated instead of getting in a crash.
And that Alonso sentiment is why I dislike Monaco as a race. It's the world's most expensive parade. Great spectacle. Lousy race.
Paebr332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:16 AM   #1025
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by g容g View Post
Was he in a position to slow the field?

My hazy recollection from what was a confusing period was that Webber had pitted prior to the safety car coming out, and Vettel also pitted before the safety car so a lap prior to Hamilton. Who then was behind Hamilton and close enough for Hamilton to hold up? Were Raikonnen, etc, still lined up astern?

Anyway, an explanation has been offered at planetf1.com. Don't say where they got it from:

"Hamilton lost his P2 thanks to a miscalculation at the pit-stop. Before the stop he was three seconds behind Rosberg, he was told to leave six seconds before he came in and left 11 instead."

Link.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #1026
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,345
Quote:
When's the last time Alonso was passed three times for position in a race? It's like he was asleep for Perez's dive into Nouvelle. I was wondering if he was resigned to finishing sixth and going through he motions, perhaps lost his alertness? Seems to me his late turn-in style cost him Rascasse and the hairpin to Button and Sutil. Very unusual and very costly for points.
You can look at it this way, or you can look at it as he simply didn't want to risk a DNF for a couple mid-pack position points dicing with Mr. Kamikaze. Look what a defend-the-position strategy netted Raikkonen - a drop from a probable 6th to 10th (and he was lucky it wasn't 13th or worse). Alonso has superb race judgment.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 11:04 AM   #1027
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
You can look at it this way, or you can look at it as he simply didn't want to risk a DNF for a couple mid-pack position points dicing with Mr. Kamikaze. Look what a defend-the-position strategy netted Raikkonen - a drop from a probable 6th to 10th (and he was lucky it wasn't 13th or worse). Alonso has superb race judgment.

- Mark
Yes, I understand. Perez got away with his moves for that reason, at least until Kimi shut the door. But Button's not a kamikaze and he made a pass in Rascasse, an unlikely place. Sutil's pass in the hairpin was a duck under Alonso's exceptionally wide, late turn in. I'm obviously not a racer, but those two passes seem to be easy to defend against.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-27-2013, 01:44 PM   #1028
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,345
Quote:
Yes, I understand. Perez got away with his moves for that reason, at least until Kimi shut the door. But Button's not a kamikaze and he made a pass in Rascasse, an unlikely place. Sutil's pass in the hairpin was a duck under Alonso's exceptionally wide, late turn in. I'm obviously not a racer, but those two passes seem to be easy to defend against.
Yeah, Alonso did seem a little flat-footed at times and a defensive line in the hairpin seems like a no-brainer with little downside - nobody is going to pass you on the outside there. But I understand with Perez - this was one of those days where you see someone charging through and you say "I think I'll watch you crash." I'm glad someone finally called his bluff, although wish it wasn't Kimi.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 04:34 PM   #1029
Yossarian
Deputy Cultural Attach

Oddometer: 9,593
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
I'm glad someone finally called his bluff, although wish it wasn't Kimi.
+1

Perez may be a superb driver, but he's a bit green when it comes to common sense.
Old 05-27-2013, 08:56 PM   #1030
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,573
NBC's coverage is dogshit. That's what I got from Monaco.

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:42 PM   #1031
wxwax
Excited Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ray View Post
NBC's coverage is dogshit. That's what I got from Monaco.
It does feel a little hysterical, and they sometimes lose facts in their excitement. I miss Bob Varsha's more sober demeanor. I'm going to give Diffey the benefit of the doubt and say that he was so thrilled to be in Monaco that he couldn't contain himself. Maybe once he's tucked safely back in his Connecticut studio he'll calm down again.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-28-2013, 10:33 AM   #1032
Mr. Ray
Chemically Enhanced

Oddometer: 3,573
I'm not trying to be negative. I have been downloading BBC coverage and I prefer the way they deliver the race. NBC never mentioned DRS or KERS. I find that shocking. The video feed was good just not the commentary.

Fun race to watch!

http://www.roadtofermentation.blogspot.com
Mr. Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 10:26 AM   #1033
wxwax
Excited Member

Vettel keeping it classy, like he does.

Quote:
Vettel described race-winner Nico Rosberg and team-mate Hamilton as like "two buses going for a cruise" over the first few laps as they preserved their tyres in the opening stages, backing up the pack.

-- Bertrand Russell

-- Carl Sagan
Old 05-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #1034
Yossarian
Deputy Cultural Attach

Oddometer: 9,593
Quote:
Vettel keeping it classy, like he does.
Does Seb have any comment on why he could not keep up with Rosberg each time there was a safety car restart?
Old 05-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #1035
g容g OP
Canadian living in exile

Oddometer: 6,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian View Post
Does Seb have any comment on why he could not keep up with Rosberg each time there was a safety car restart?

I'm sure that was Pirelli's fault....

Try to see the world beyond your front door.
g容g is online now   Reply With Quote