User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Ctscrambler OP
2010 Scrambler Black

Oddometer: 37
Talking First post. New 1981 R100RT

Just bought a local R100RT, seems to be in nice condition and well taken care of for last 23 years by most recent (2nd) owner. Hoping to someday turn it into a scrambler!

Was recently checked out by Max BMW here in CT. I'd like to take the front Fairing off by next summer. What can I do with all the controls (hosted grips, voltmeter, etc) that are part of the fairing? The blinkers?

Hope to meet with some other owners this winter and do some short local rides in central CT

Ctscrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:49 PM   #2
kbasa
Colnago!

Oddometer: 65,675
First post is in the wrong forum.

There's an airheads forum here where this is getting moved to.

Fuck Cancer. Ride bikes. - dave + tina
kbasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
disston
ShadeTreeExpert

Oddometer: 8,274
Meters should all just unplug. Same with heated grip[s (if that's what you meant to write). I can't be sure because I don't have any of that stuff but would know if I looked at it. You should be able to tell, can't you?

'81's a good year. You'll want the fairing back next year unless you aren't going to ride in the Winter.

Welcome to the Asylum.

Pay your debt, piratejohn.http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
disston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
TINK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Tink's R100RT conversion to R100S

Ctscrambler, you might find my blog on removing the RT fairing amusing > http://www.photosbytink.com/bmw/

TINK
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
_cy_
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,338
welcome to adv... you've come to the right place for airhead help
_cy_ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:22 PM   #6
DaveBall
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,155
Rant

Start of Rant -

And yet another RT about to be destroyed. Sorry, but I just can't figure out why people go and buy a bike with a full fairing, just to take it off and usually either sell it or park it in the back of the garage/storage shed to collect dust and be forgotten. The resulting bike then becomes a Frankinbike. It no longer really is an RT and is definitely not an S or CS.

If you want a scrambler, bobber or something to make into your personal stylized bike with a bikini fairing, why not start off with a naked bike and not ruin another model?

It is like saying, Hell, I want a Mustang, so I will take that Maverick over there and make it into one.

Sure, it is your bike, and you are free to do with it as you see fit, but I feel we have a certain responsibility to try and keep icons of motorcycling history and engineering alive and on the road, for the next generation to see.

End of Rant.

Sorry about the Rant, but I just had to say something.

I will be quiet now and go back under my rock.
DaveBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:21 PM   #7
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,019
Hear, hear.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:43 AM   #8
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 6,428
Hear, hear, hear.

--Bill
Old 11-27-2012, 03:20 AM   #9
R100LT
Chasing 11

Oddometer: 623
From another RT lover ... Please think of the children before you rape that bike ...
Old 11-27-2012, 03:58 AM   #10
00_Green
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
We need to talk, I have a very clean 81R100T and would be interested in working out a trade for the RT. The T is nakid and would be much better candidate for a scrambler.
00_Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:00 AM   #11
rambozo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 416
Suppose that makes me guilty as hell!

Iv been known to remove an rt fairing or two, maybe three, although
those three bikes were basket cases anyway

Naked bikes are too expensive over here and pretty hard to find
so ex cop rt's are what I usually end up with, the fact that I hate the
rt fairing keeps my conscience nice and clear though

Greens offer is worth considering, I'd of jumped at the chance to swap
for a naked bike, headlight ears and indicator brackets are expensive, not
to mention cables and such may need changed depending on your
handlebar choice when the fairings gone
rambozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #12
pbarmy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,818
I couldnt give my 70 R/T away when it looked like this.

Nice bike,but I have an "s" and a newer v-strom.Hot SOB in the summer,it wasn't getting ridden.Then I did this.

Now its my favorite to ride,just a standard motorcycle.I saved the fairing if any of you wish to convert yours.They're not a great collectors item,so I say do what you need to make yourself happy when you ride it and screw the rest!

pbarmy screwed with this post 11-27-2012 at 05:03 PM
pbarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #13
gsd4me
90% bluff

Oddometer: 7,019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctscrambler View Post
Just bought a local R100RT, seems to be in nice condition and well taken care of for last 23 years by most recent (2nd) owner. Hoping to someday turn it into a scrambler!

Was recently checked out by Max BMW here in CT. I'd like to take the front Fairing off by next summer. What can I do with all the controls (hosted grips, voltmeter, etc) that are part of the fairing? The blinkers?

Hope to meet with some other owners this winter and do some short local rides in central CT

Having had a second look at the original post, I think this blokes taking the piss out of us.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...uild+australia
gsd4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #14
Ctscrambler OP
2010 Scrambler Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveBall View Post
Start of Rant -

And yet another RT about to be destroyed. Sorry, but I just can't figure out why people go and buy a bike with a full fairing, just to take it off and usually either sell it or park it in the back of the garage/storage shed to collect dust and be forgotten. The resulting bike then becomes a Frankinbike. It no longer really is an RT and is definitely not an S or CS.

If you want a scrambler, bobber or something to make into your personal stylized bike with a bikini fairing, why not start off with a naked bike and not ruin another model?

It is like saying, Hell, I want a Mustang, so I will take that Maverick over there and make it into one.

Sure, it is your bike, and you are free to do with it as you see fit, but I feel we have a certain responsibility to try and keep icons of motorcycling history and engineering alive and on the road, for the next generation to see.

End of Rant.

Sorry about the Rant, but I just had to say something.

I will be quiet now and go back under my rock.

Not so fast, cant say all that crap and then climb under your rock without a reply!

Here is what is was thinking. Wanted an airhead for a while now, wanted a project I could work on over the years with my little boy. With that said, I needed something that had good bones to build upon. I only will buy close to home b/c 1, dont trust people to accurately account for a bike they are selling on the other side of the country, and 2, want to see it myself, listen to it, drive it, and bring it home, and with 3 kids under 5, not a lot of time to go to far to accomplish that!.

Looked at 4 r100's around here, 1 was rust covered, 1 was leaking oil from the spacers they put at base of cyclinders to reduce compression and use crappy gas, and the other had bent wheels. None of those were RT's, but figures the owner of the RT took great care of this bike and so this is what I went with.

Why take off the fairing? Well its not an immediate thing, and might be usefull in the winter riding I do, but mostly I just think its ugly. I've had naked bikes before with a small fairing over the headlight and that was just fine for hw riding.

So, no I will not buy a Maverick and turn it into a mustang, I will by a Mustang and turn it into MY MUSTANG, the way I want it. Do you give the finger to every person who drives by with a non standard BMW motorcycle? Maybe they cnagned the look and seating position by replacing the stock seat with a Corbin, to better suit the bike to them, is that disgracing the BMW engineers who designed the bike? I think not. Drive what you want, and I'll drive what I want.

Now that that is complete, lets be civilized, and look out to help one another in this niche of motorcycling we have found.

Good Day!
Old 11-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #15
Ctscrambler OP
2010 Scrambler Black

Now, Pbarmy and TINK, thank you for all the usefull information and support!

Its amazing, I've belonged to BMWMOA for years, and not once ever slammed for having an idea that was out of the norm or altered the status quo. Isn't it thinking like this that continues to help us evolve and progress?

Pbarmy, looks like a lot of work that you've done, thanks for the pictures.