User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
GrimerX OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Center stand slapping?

Got to take enough time to run the bike up through one of the forest roads we have here (NF-52). Fun stuff, the more I ride this bike the more I love it :-)

Going through all those potholes I get a slapping/thumping from below my footpegs, which I assume is the centerstand coming down and then back up after I hit a big enough bump. Anything I should and/or can do about this?

Thanks,

-Ian
GrimerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
RJP3579
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Check the springs and check for that little rubber bumper pad. Mine popped of on my previous RT and I never knew it the service guy pointed it out. I did not take my RT off road so I did not have it bouncing up and down.
'97 BMW R850R (Gone but not forgotten)
RJP3579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:13 PM   #3
bobbob1015
Fictional n00b

Oddometer: 66
First time I went down some abandoned rail road tracks my center-stand removed it's self…if you ride hard the slapping will continue unless it is fastened to the bottom of the bike. I don't know how these guys with the skid plate extensions keep them up?
bobbob1015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,477
Bet this might help...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimerX View Post
Got to take enough time to run the bike up through one of the forest roads we have here (NF-52). Fun stuff, the more I ride this bike the more I love it :-)

Going through all those potholes I get a slapping/thumping from below my footpegs, which I assume is the centerstand coming down and then back up after I hit a big enough bump. Anything I should and/or can do about this?

Thanks,

-Ian
Maybe it's the SIDE STAND???

http://excelcyclewerkes.com/index_files/Page291.htm

Even if it's the CENTER STAND...perhaps the above might give you some ideas of how to do 'the same/similar thing' for the Center Stand???

LaurelPerryOnLand screwed with this post 11-26-2012 at 09:02 AM
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
funinthesun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 287
I have the problem with both my center stand(i have the black dog plates) and my side stand( touratech pad). I solved the sidestand problem for the most part with stiffer springs from lowes($3.00) and the center stand with a velcro strap that is fixed to the left rear peg mount and then wrapped around the center stand push pad that is right there. I tried rubber straps like KTM uses on there bikes but they would snap when I would get air on the back end of the bike off road and have not been able to find something strong enough that isn't too bulky. tried a old bike tube worked great but was too big.

Even so the velcro only seems to hold for an hour or so of heavy off road then it works it's way loose. still trying to find a better way to solve this.

I also had to bypass my sidestand switch when off road as the bike would kill itself on hard hits.

If your not doing alot of of road I would try the velcro, the large size cord wrap ones at the hardware store are what I use.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:53 PM   #6
GrimerX OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Thanks guys, good ideas here. I didn't consider it could be the side stand -- definitely wouldn't want the bike killing itself mid-ride! I'll have to play around with it I guess. A zip tie on the next trip should at least let me know which it is.

-Ian
GrimerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #7
vipers28
GSA Mountains

Oddometer: 108
Dude you should've freakin called me and I would've gone with you! I ride 5700 and 5100 most of the time. My side stand slaps sometimes depending on how hard I hit the bumps but for the most part it stays put.
vipers28 is offline   Reply With Quote