ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2013, 09:17 AM   #1
Disco Dean OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,182
Death Valley Hotels

Hey everyone. I am flying in to Vegas for work and have 3 days to tour Death Valley on a rental. Any suggestions on hotels to stay in or around the Park?

And for that matter any good trips I must take while there?

Timing will be Jan 11-14 of this year and I will be riding with my girlfriend on her own bike and she will not be too good in full off-road riding - so pretty tame.

Thoughts? And, thanks in advance.

Dean

As your attorney, I advise you to buy a motorcycle. How else can we cover a thing like this righteously?
Disco Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,434
Furnace creek is the epicenter for the "heart" of DV and is the best for the more tame aspects....

Furnace Creek Ranch
Furnace Creek Inn

same owners....different price levels....pick your flavor...

Stovepipe Wells is the back up....

Titus Cyn is a must IMO....offroad but tame....stunning
Rhyolite
The Crater
The Racetrack (enter from the North)

Have fun
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 09:54 PM   #3
RandyM
Less talk, More ride

Oddometer: 894
Panamint Springs has motel rooms and some cabins.

Beatty NV has several hotels, including a Motel6. The Motel6 room rate was $53/night over Thanskgiving weekend. Beatty is about 20 miles outside the park.

Here is some easy stuff to go see in Death Valley:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=20
Old 12-03-2013, 06:25 AM   #4
papa-alpha
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
On the south side of the park, Tecopa Hot Springs Resort. This isn't a resort in the sense Las Vegas has resorts :-). This is a little hole in the wall with hot springs. The bonus at Tecopa is Pastels Bistro. It is the little blue building out front that has a 5 star chef. Best desert food you will find. It is also close to Shoshone where you can get good breakfast. This one is outside the park on the way up to Badwater. Popular with riders.

On the west side of the park try Panamint Springs. Good camping or rooms, whichever you prefer, and again good food and a bar with a big porch overlooking the valley and a bazillion different beers. Worth the trip. The road from Panamint Springs to Hwy 395 is newly paved and really a fun ride. This one is in the park. You will run into lots of adventure riders here.

For offroad, first timers, try the Race Track road, from near Scottys Castle and Titus Canyon. The race track is at the end of a very washboardy road (as of a couple weeks ago). Titus Canyon is a one way road from the Neveda side over a pass and through a narrow walled canyon. Well worth the trip. Both a fun, fairly easy roads, but anything in the desert can change with conditions. You need to plan your gas. The park has good maps with stations marked. Not all have premium gas if you need it, but all have crazy high prices (after all it is the desert!).

A lot of the backcountry roads were washed out last year and haven't been repaired. You can go the National Park Service Death Valley web site and look on the home page for the Morning Report. It has current conditions and is updated daily.

You can spend years exploring DV. It is a magical place for sure.
papa-alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:31 AM   #5
TwilightZone
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,641
You''ll have fun !

Titus Canyon...

Rhyolite (near Beatty)

Charcoal Kilns

Old 12-03-2013, 09:00 AM   #6
mike54
You don't get me

Oddometer: 13,006
We were there for Thanksgiving week. We stayed in Panamint Springs Resort. Lots of roads were closed. They may open by the time you get there.
My pick would be to stay at The Ranch at Furnace Creek. It's central and distances are long in DV.
Look at the back country roads map on the DV web site and check the morning report to get familiar with what's open.

Titus Canyon - Everyone says it's easy etc. I've been though there on my GS and on my Honda XR650. I prefer the honda. It's pretty flat and gravely going in. Then you climb over red pass. The climb isn't too bad but the decent into Titus is pretty steep with drop offs that may unerve the less experienced. When we were there last week the decent was in pretty bad shape. My GF said you should practice riding down stairs to prepare for it. After you get through the pass it's pretty level with gravel on the surface. It's a beautiful ride through the canyon itself.

One of the rides that's pretty nice for dirt noobs is Green Water Valley. It starts across from the trailer parking on the way up to Dante's View and pops out near Shoshone. It's 30 miles of mostly flat and gravely road with a few washes. If the Amargosa river is running you may have to ford it. That's what they say, but I've never been through there when it's flowing. I think the scenery along the road is pretty interesting.

Someone mentioned Tecopa Hot Springs Resort. If you're going that way don't miss China Ranch. It's got some pretty cool history and Date shakes. It's a fun visit.

DV is like Alaska. It's a big place and you're not going to see it all in one visit. Don't feel compelled to ride extended off road rides. There's plenty to see just a couple miles from the pavement.

Do stand up guys lie?
mike54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Friz Freleng
Zorgon of Mars

Oddometer: 145
Ditto on what the previous posters have suggested. I would also recommend a quick trip up Dante's View. It gives you a breathtaking 5400 ft view of the Valley. As I recall, the road is paved to the top with picnic areas and footpaths to other viewpoints.

If Julius Caesar were alive, you'd be chained to an oar.

Friz Freleng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #8
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,409
Speaking of Shoshone, I have never seen any pictures to the DIY housing located behind the Post Office. So here are a couple of mine.

Interesting history.

If Wild Rose rd is open off 190, it gives access to 23 Skidoo road and the road to Auberry point. There are mining artifacts and mines on both. Included is a great view of Furnace creek and Badwater.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:01 AM   #9
Matt fe2o3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 493
Last year I stayed at the Longstreet. It's on the 373 in Amargosa Valley. Fuel is 14 miles up the road between the fireworks stand and the whorehouse. DV Junction is about 7 miles to the south. It's OK, food is just OK. Closes early. The visitor center is another 20 miles up back into the park. Pretty good location for getting to points in the park.

Beatty is a good location outside the park too. If you are coming in from Vegas and not staying in the park proper, the Longstreet or the places in Beatty may serve you well.

Note on Beatty: Entering town you will first see a speed limit sign and then the signpost for the local court. Treat Beatty as one full blown speed trap. Cops everywhere in wait, all hours. You are nothing more than their meal ticket.

Matt fe2o3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #10
Shooby
Anti-Cager

Oddometer: 664
Go here. North end of the valley about 22 miles north of Scotty's Castle.
Fun for a day trip. They have cabin rentals, saloon and Walt may even give you a tour.

http://goldpointghosttown.com/

Shooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:55 AM   #11
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 6,319
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike54 View Post
Titus Canyon - Everyone says it's easy etc. I've been though there on my GS and on my Honda XR650. I prefer the honda. It's pretty flat and gravely going in. Then you climb over red pass. The climb isn't too bad but the decent into Titus is pretty steep with drop offs that may unerve the less experienced. When we were there last week the decent was in pretty bad shape. My GF said you should practice riding down stairs to prepare for it. After you get through the pass it's pretty level with gravel on the surface. It's a beautiful ride through the canyon itself.
That is a pretty good description. Titus is a must see, even if you have to ride your girlfriend's bike down the entrance portion for her, you should do it. It looks worse than it is really, there just isn't a good place to put a foot down. You just have to go for it slowly. I watched a calm and collected guy do it fully loaded, 2-up, on a GS1150.

The tours at Scotty's Castle are also worth doing. The underground tour shows all the technical stuff, and the house tour is typically favored by the ladies.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,307
the inn and ranch, have 30% of certain dates just after the new year, prospector is the discount code

Still $242+ a night though but very central.
AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 11:34 PM   #13
wjpjump
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
furnace creek inn if you can afford it !
wjpjump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 05:21 PM   #14
Tyler
Miss Demeanor

Oddometer: 301
The Atomic Inn in Beatty, NV is well priced and kitschy/fun. Great place if budget is an issue. It's about 30 miles from DV so not too far to get there and you can stop at Scotty's Castle as mentioned. Fun ride out to Panamint Springs and up/back on 190 which is a kick ass road with great views of the valley.

Do check the road conditions as flash floods can really mess up the roads and cut off access to many of the best places to visit. Artist's Palette is also cool.

Dangerous Curves
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:09 PM   #15
1200gsceej
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,196
Artists Drive and Pahrump

My buddy and I stayed in Pahrump one night on our trip to DV. It allowed us to ride out past Bad Water and back in by Zabriskie Point (worth a stop even though we did not).

Also, take a ride through Artists Drive. Stop at the *second* parking lot (up a short side road on the right). You'll be able to take great short (or long) walks through the formations.

-ceej
And remember: Beauty is in the behind of the holder.
1200gsceej is offline   Reply With Quote