ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West – California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-03-2014, 09:57 AM   #1
khale OP
ride dirty

Oddometer: 556
L.A. to Seattle, need motorcycles and need your help!

Hello fellow advr's and happy new year!
I don't have a killer ride to report, but hopefully will after a trip my brother and I have planned.
We are planning to ride June 22nd - July 6th from L.A. to Seattle. We hope to soak up the Cali rays, visit state/national parks and camp, surf and just have a great time in general.
My question to you all, is do any of you have a spare bike you would be willing to let my brother and I borrow or rent, and we can freight back to you (or sell for you!) in Seattle? The mileage would be approx 1500 miles. We are not particular to any make/model, just as long as the bike is reliable. We thought about renting Harley Sporters from www.eaglerider.com, but thought we'd call upon fellow ADV'rs first to see if anyone has leads or has done something like this before. We'd also love to stay at anyone's home who is willing to host us. We are both experienced riders with 5+ years experience and we have done many long distance trips. http://halemoto.tumblr.com
Thanks for any help or insight you can offer.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,686
You might try contacting the LA branch of the Cretin MCC, as they have a branch in Seattle and do shuttle bikes between the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:26 AM   #3
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,046
We're also open to the idea of finding a couple k75/100's out in LA and buying them, riding up to seattle and selling them there or slapping them on consignment with a local dealer.
If we did that, we'd probably need a fellow inmate to go check out the bikes, and possibly buy/store them until we got there.
We'd give you a cut, of course!
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:28 AM   #4
ttime4four
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
These guys have rental locations in LA and Seattle -- pretty sure you can do a one-way rental. Sometimes they do a transporter special where they need to move inventory from one location to another.

http://www.motoquest.com/

Get discounted gear here...
http://www.promotive.com/invite/JohnZ14
ttime4four is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:22 AM   #5
buckthedog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
whatchu talkin bout Willis???

Sounds like you may need to plan a trip up the east coast instead...or more within your means. Youre really asking a lot. I.E., . a free trip for two, have somebody BUY AND STORE two bikes? lend a bike/s and youll ship them back? Im a very trusting man...but I see many many red-flags.. Maybe I mis-read. My apologies if that is the case. I dont think it is though. If not...square away your bike rentals and try the couchsurfing website. My brother has done house swaps and an overnighter or two successfully there and its worked out quite well. I'm not meaning to be critical, to the contrary, I would give a non essential organ to do a trip like this with my brother (who is my best friend)..but youll have a better chance of help if you have more of your plan in line.

buckthedog screwed with this post 01-07-2014 at 03:30 AM
buckthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:53 AM   #6
tkent02
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,229
If you bought two old bikes in Seattle and rode them to LA you could make enough money on the deal to pay for everything else…

Running older bikes are worth a lot more down there.
tkent02 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,046
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckthedog View Post
Sounds like you may need to plan a trip up the east coast instead...or more within your means. Youre really asking a lot. I.E., . a free trip for two, have somebody BUY AND STORE two bikes? lend a bike/s and youll ship them back? Im a very trusting man...but I see many many red-flags.. Maybe I mis-read. My apologies if that is the case. I dont think it is though. If not...square away your bike rentals and try the couchsurfing website. My brother has done house swaps and an overnighter or two successfully there and its worked out quite well. I'm not meaning to be critical, to the contrary, I would give a non essential organ to do a trip like this with my brother (who is my best friend)..but youll have a better chance of help if you have more of your plan in line.
Pretty sure you miss-read the entire thread. No one's asking anything free.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
khale OP
ride dirty

Oddometer: 556
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckthedog View Post
I don't believe we ever implied we were looking for a free trip. We are just exploring options, and being a friendly community that ADV is, I don't see anything wrong with asking inmates if we could rent a bike from them or a friend. More than likely, we will rent from a dedicated bike shop, but it's always fun to explore more off the beaten path methodologies for ADV riding. We will formulate a more detailed plan, but really, we were just putting feelers out for any ADV'rs on the west coast that had advice to offer or a pad to crash on.
Old 01-07-2014, 01:34 PM   #9
Off Limits
Thread killer

Oddometer: 3,476
There are bikes galore on SoCal Craigslist. You could get 2 decent running street bikes for cheap. Budget for new tires and chain/sprockets. Used bikes would be easier on the wallet than any rental. Especially since you can sell them once done.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:50 PM   #10
buckthedog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
My apologies for misconstruing it. I hope you guys have a blast.
buckthedog is offline   Reply With Quote