Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
lacofdfireman OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 738
Why would you want to go back to a carburated 9XX?

Doing some research on the Crush for my next bike and came across a guy whom was converting his I believe 09 FI 990 back to a Carbed bike. Just curious why anyone would want to do this? Am I missing something? I am currently trying to decide if I want an older carburated model 9XX or if I want FI? Technology tells me I want FI but maybe there is something about the carb model bikes that make them easier to work on or something. Educate me. And would you go back to a Carb after having FI?
lacofdfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 403
No immobiliser!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
Doing some research on the Crush for my next bike and came across a guy whom was converting his I believe 09 FI 990 back to a Carbed bike. Just curious why anyone would want to do this? Am I missing something? I am currently trying to decide if I want an older carburated model 9XX or if I want FI? Technology tells me I want FI but maybe there is something about the carb model bikes that make them easier to work on or something. Educate me. And would you go back to a Carb after having FI?
For one because it would have no immobiliser!
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:53 AM   #3
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,472
Carbs don't need a computer and fuel pump to run. Sure, they need some tuning and cleaning once in a while, but they just work well.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:59 AM   #4
KTMADV
Hammer Down

Oddometer: 166
Laugh

Well buy converting my 2007 Ktm 990 adventure to carbs my bike is really smoother on and off throttle.

My carbs are very easy to tune and fix on the road. On the 990 the fuel pump cost more to replace then the carb fuel pump

I would rather clean my carb jets vs try to clean the fuel injector anytime. At least I can see when my jets are plugged up.

My 2007 Ktm 990 fuel injection system was not very smooth and used allot of fuel. Now my bike gets great fuel mileage and runs great for me.

I did ride a 2010 990 adventure and it was smooth. The early 990 adventure bikes were not smooth thats why I put the carbs on
Old 11-28-2012, 05:14 AM   #5
genghis9021
Arak Connoisseur

Oddometer: 236
Why, indeed ?

I have a '06 950 with wonderfully tuned carbs using the Head2Wind jet kit and Unifilter that's run fantastically at 100' below MSL and nearly 16,000' above in temps from 115 to the high single digits. My Flexjets for modifying the IMS have been completely redundant. The bike gets solidly mid-40's MPG almost independent of how I ride it.

But . . . I'd take FI that was well-tuned EVERY TIME.

My "experience" is largely the "exception which proves the rule". Yeah, it seems it's taken more than a little tweaking to get the FI ADVs running nicely. So maybe KTM's implementation wasn't too great.

But carbs ? Mine work great. I'll take good FI every time.

If the FI ADVs can't be made to work - and it's clear they can - fine.

Oh, and I'd add Pyndon's K&N prefilter kit, on either !

Orange, it's the new black Tour.
genghis9021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:05 AM   #6
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Another reason is:

1-You can take the High Pressure 50 lbs psi Fuel Pump & Filters out of the Fuel Tank.

2- With a Carbed Bike the Pump is only about 3 lbs psi and is Filtered and Pumped on the outside of the Fuel Pump for easy access.
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:58 AM   #7
zedtours
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Carbs every time,just as efficient and no silly electronics,but of course if you do not do your own servicing etc get a 990FI
zedtours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
el queso
toda su base

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by lacofdfireman View Post
And would you go back to a Carb after having FI?
I wouldn't.
el queso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:18 PM   #9
TcRulz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
Depends if you like playing with your bike and you like simpler things that you can get the satisfaction of modifying and maintaining.The fuel injected bikes have their fuel pump and filter in the tank reducing fuel capacity and being harder to fix. Also there have been problems with snatchy throttles, blocked fuel filters, ABS issues, immobilizer lock-outs but the later bikes may have less miles which could balance everything out. Just saying.
TcRulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:10 AM   #10
DesertSurfer
Tail sprayin

Oddometer: 1,261
Why carbs? One word...

ETHANOL!!!

Even KTM doesn't know what to expect for longevity out of the 990 FI systems. They recommend yearly service of the fuel system from filters to injection cleaning.

The carbs seem to be a bit more forgiving, but not fool proof by any means.

I use the Yamaha ring clean fuel additive to flush and burn through the residue buildup about every 3-4 fill ups. It makes a huge difference although others swear by Lucas products and Seafoam.

If I had FI, I'd be even more regimented with fuel additives.

It's just one opinion though...
Old 11-29-2012, 03:41 AM   #11
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdvGa View Post
Another reason is:

1-You can take the High Pressure 50 lbs psi Fuel Pump & Filters out of the Fuel Tank.

2- With a Carbed Bike the Pump is only about 3 lbs psi and is Filtered and Pumped on the outside of the Fuel Pump for easy access.
I'm not an expert but I can't see why this couldn't be done on an EFI bike...apart from sealing the tank at the spot where the in tank pump used to be I can't see why an out-of-the-tank aftermarket fuel pump and filter array isn't possible...
Old 11-29-2012, 07:19 AM   #12
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
High pressure pumps run hotter and hate to lose prime. They definitely work best in the bottom of a fuel tank, (hence why virtually all EFI cars have the pumps in the tanks). The low pressure pumps just need a little gravity feed to get started and are far less likely to burn up if they don't have fuel right away.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:15 PM   #13
Deviant666
Present

Oddometer: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
High pressure pumps run hotter and hate to lose prime. They definitely work best in the bottom of a fuel tank, (hence why virtually all EFI cars have the pumps in the tanks). The low pressure pumps just need a little gravity feed to get started and are far less likely to burn up if they don't have fuel right away.
Yes efi fuel pumps run cooler in tank and are less likely to burn up from starvation but early hayabusas had some short of efi-fuel pump problem and some converted them to external pumps with success so it can be done...
Old 11-29-2012, 10:51 PM   #14
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,478
The 2007-2008 990s are first gen EFI systems. As with most every first generation product, there are some bugs to get out. Some had problems with the EFI, some didn't. Some converted back to carbs.

KTM got the EFI sorted out on the 2009+ models.

I own a carb version and once it was correctly jetted, and the fuel pump problem solved, they work great.
However, I would have no issues with owning an EFI model.
You do have to keep an eye on the EFI, aka changing the fuel pump filters.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:52 AM   #15
DuctTape
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
It also depends on where you live or plan on riding.

There are some parts of the world that the quality of fuel isn't the greatest and a carbed vehicle would survive where an EFI would be dead in no time.
2010 Ducati 1198S
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote