Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
Macnab OP
F650GS Dakar

Oddometer: 5
Eek Trip in South Africa

Hey guys

im new to the site but have been really enjoying it so far.
im looking for some advice on a trip that i am planning.
i intend to travel from Johannesburg (where i live) to western Lesotho, exit the bourder on Southern side, travel to Durban and then travel along or near the coast in a Western direction untill reaching Cape Town. At that point id like to head North till reaching Swakkop in Namibia where i have family. from there i will head through Botswana and head home.
I would be very grateful for any suggestions on any routes.
Technical difficulty is not a problem as my mates i have been riding for many years and have a lot of experience in enduro riding.
The origional plan is to just go with a one other person, but more may want to come along, but that shouldnt be a problem.
Maps have been bought and routes have begun to take shape. Kit is all at the ready (but suggestions will obviosly be accepted) and the bike is always being worked on. (BMW F650GS Dakar)

i look forward to any replies.

Regards
Macnab
Macnab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #2
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 652
I can recommend the more westerly gravel road route up through Namibia, it takes in the Fish river canyon, Luderitz, sossusvlei and up to Walvis bay and Swakopmund, a great ride.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #3
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,487
SWMBO and I spent about three weeks in Namibia and Botswana a couple of years ago and loved every minute of it.

We do love the rugged terrain and peace and quiet, the former having shattered the latter a few times, thanks to the Nissan sedan rented in Windhoek. A few days near Sossusvlei. Stunning! By all means go there and climb Big Daddy, the highest dune in the area. Except for the final few kms, the road in is hardtop, the rest being sand, deep sand.

[IMG][/IMG]

The road north, and I seem to recall that there is only one, was mostly good except for a leg in the middle on the way to Walvis Bay. This was the best bit. The other was washboard.

[IMG][/IMG]

Then there were two guys on bikes enroute.

[IMG][/IMG]

We stayed in Walvis for two nights and the day in between was exploring Sandwich Bay Reserve to the south. We hired a guide and Land Rover. A marvelous day out.

[IMG][/IMG]

From there, we went inland and north to Etosha. More scenic and more vegetation and regular towns. If you take the northern route into Botswana, give the Etosha Reserve a ride through. Lots of four legged types.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Macnab OP
F650GS Dakar

Thanks a lot guys.
if enough places and great routes are found then i may just have to extend the trip.
i.ll plot out the suggested routes.
i also found a couple of great passes just before hitting cape town that should prove both callenging as well as fun.
im grateful for the responses. i.ll put them to good use.
Old 11-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
Mark Manley
On my way

Oddometer: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLover View Post

[IMG][/IMG]
Just when you think you have done something adventurous some bloody cyclist comes along and proves you wrong.

Etosha get my vote as well.

"You've got to think for yourselves! You're all individuals!"-Brian of Nazareth
Mark Manley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #6
RTLover
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,487
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark manley View Post
just when you think you have done something adventurous some bloody cyclist comes along and proves you wrong.

Etosha get my vote as well.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Make sure you hit Fish River canyon, and you should push on over the border to Vic Falls if you've never been. (It's a straight line shot back to Joburg afterwards.)

Wilddogz forum is going to be your greatest resource.

LOL at the person with the bicyclist quote. Nothing puts you in your place after you see some bicyclist doing the same route, with half the gear, and 1/5th of the budget. I remember crossing some remote Himalayan peaks only to encounter 50 year old Germans cracking a beer on making that 16,000 foot climb on their bicycles.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:46 AM   #8
Macnab OP
F650GS Dakar

hahahaha.
well done on the cyclists. know exactly what you mean.

On another note, my newly aquired f650gs Dakar '05 has its visor set so low that the handle bars hit it before hitting the steering stopper. ive looked all over for a manuel online to see if any parts are missing but havent been very successful.
does anyone have a link that can help me out with a download or something?
the only other forum with a similar problem only provides that of an older model and the parts are very different near the visor.
gets a little annoying when your neck muscles go through quite a bit of pain when traveling at just 100km/h on a road for a while.