User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 01:11 PM   #1
rjlatimer1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Battery dead

My Battery on my 02 GS died. What is the best replacement? Hopefully there is a replacement that will out last the OEM,only got 1 1/2 years out of it.
rjlatimer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:09 PM   #2
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,387
Odyssey PC680. It isn't cheap, but it is the best, most reliable option available. Unlike other batteries, which have a one year warranty, the Odyssey carries a 2 year.

You'll have to get the L adapters when you order the battery, or build your own.
Old 12-03-2012, 02:17 PM   #3
rdwalker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjlatimer1 View Post
My Battery on my 02 GS died. What is the best replacement? Hopefully there is a replacement that will out last the OEM,only got 1 1/2 years out of it.
If you only got a year and a half out of your battery, you are doing something wrong. Could be a faulty battery, of course, but I would first suspect your usage patterns or lack of or incorrect maintenance charger.

Now, in terms of choice: the world is yours. There are many, many threads here, with the participants espousing what they use - mainly to self-validate their own choices...

Battery threads are like oil and tire threads: everyone has an opinion. Search this forum for them, read them, but treat them with some suspicion. Just see what develops here from now on... thousands of incompatible suggestions!

Good luck.

rdwalker screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 02:23 PM
rdwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:15 PM   #4
Tebpac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Odyssey?

I keep seeing 2 different model numbers on the Odyssey battery. One is the 535 and the other is the 680. I see the 535 has more CCA but less HCA/MCA. Assumption is more overall power from the 680 but a little more dinking around to get it in?
Old 12-03-2012, 03:21 PM   #5
def
I've little to say

Oddometer: 8,317
A proper maintainer attached to a quality battery can keep a battery operating for a decade as long as the battery does not sit discharged for long periods (hence the reason for the maintainer).

The boxer engine and big bore Harleys require an abnormal amount of CCAs (read that power) during cold start. The boxer even has a load shedding circuit to turn off unwanted loads during engine starter operation. Also, the ABS system likes to see adequate voltage during engine cold starts.

So, many boxer owners use the Odyssey AGM battery with adequate CCA. You'll get folks who still use flooded cell batteries but, I prefer the AGM batteries with longer useful lives and lots of power.

I am not yet convinced that LiFePo batteries are a good choice for our boxers even though they will lure you with small size and light weight.

But, do invest in a quality battery charger/maintainer. My motorhome batteries are all OE (11 years old) and still start my Cat diesel engine with ease due to the use of a maintainer.

Do a bit of homework and investigate powersports batteries and chargers. Also, others here are experts and have a wealth of knowledge to help you with your selection.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #6
def
I've little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
Odyssey PC680. It isn't cheap, but it is the best, most reliable option available. Unlike other batteries, which have a one year warranty, the Odyssey carries a 2 year.

You'll have to get the L adapters when you order the battery, or build your own.
Mine came with the L adaptors. Also, it came with an Odyssey decal which I applied upside down to signify the Odyssey will turn your bike over.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
JR356
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,406
PC 680 is the correct battery for the 1100-1150's.
PC 535 or 625(with mods) are for the 1200's.

JR356
JR356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,249
I have a PC 680 in my Supercub... 320 cubic inch 4 cylinder. works great
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
def
I've little to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezer View Post
I have a PC 680 in my Supercub... 320 cubic inch 4 cylinder. works great
The PC 680 in your Super Cub likely has an easier time cold starting the Lycoming with its 7:1 CR than it does the boxer with a much higher CR.

But, the use of a PC 680 in an aircraft does provide credibility. Of course, you can get out and prop the Lycoming if the battery is low. Our boxers no longer have kick starter levers so you're gonna walk (unless you're a steel worker and can push and jump start your boxer on a long hill).

Does the Cub have skis, wheels or floats?
Old 12-03-2012, 06:09 PM   #10
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,275
I put an odyssey pc625 in my jetski in 2004.

its been under water, upsidedown, pumped the engine out many many times.

in 2009 I removed the pc625 from yamaha superjet, and installed into my r1100gs ( the bike battery died I was in a hurry to get rolling)

Its been in there ever since, way stronger than a typical bike battery, totally sealed.
it is starting to get a bit slower when it sits outside in 20 degree weather, but it still starts.

they were very good batteries back in the day.
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
vintagerider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,904
RJ, Service the starter on your '02. It's possible the magnets are cracked. If it's drawing too many amps then it will take out the new battery. PC680 on the 11xx for sure. PPS in CO is a good source.

I don't care for the brass angle connectors as they break. Can usually make the cables fit w/o adapters, may have to mod them a bit.

You can get 5-8 yrs on the Odyssey if you use the correct charger/maintainer. You do -not need one of the approved chargers if you follow the chargingmaintenace protocol.
http://www.odysseybattery.com/docume...CT2012_000.pdf

They need to float 13.5 to 13.8 which is the most critical value. If you discharge below 12.85 then you need to ride or charge at 14.7 to 15.0 regulated constant voltage at a minimum of 6 amps. Trickle chargers don't work Whatever you do don't heat an Odyssey above 100F.

edit:
don't heat above 100F: AGM' don't like heat. If battery feels warm to touch discontinue charging. Obviously there are times in the summer when ambient is hotter than 100F. The more heat the battery is exposed to the shorter the life. Refer to Odyssey technical manual Enersys>Odyssey> Literature >technical manual. Lots of good information here including alternate charging methods, capacity testing. life expectancy vs how charged, storage temp ect.

Battery Tender float and absorption voltages are published on BT site. Once you've read both then it's clear why you need a charger with the IUU profile. For those that are claiming good results with BT on Odyssey they might want to test the their battery capacity per Odyssey tech manual. PC680 has a lot of reserve. Likely they have diminished the original capacity and are merely satisfied with 70-80% of new. You will have no ABS low voltage faulting and far more reserve if Ody. is properly cared for.

vintagerider screwed with this post 12-05-2012 at 12:29 PM
vintagerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
jzeiler
ADWrencher

Oddometer: 108
FWIW I went through two stock batteries first one replaced under warranty only lasted 6 months. Went with the Braille battery as it required no mods for the GS. Post mortem showed a faulty bridge between cells in the stock battery. Braille (model B14115) in the GS has been every bit as good (two years now) as the Odessey I put in the LT. This was after reading a good thread on it here in 2011.
K4AN

jzeiler screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 04:47 PM
jzeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
mouthfulloflake
Not afraid

Oddometer: 15,275
The braile battery looks like a relabeled East-Penn ( deka) battery

same brand is available at advance auto, with every day coupons for about %50 usually.

I have to laugh too at the Braille web site, they list 3100 cycles at a 100% depth of discharge rating.

really?

Id love to be proven wrong here, but I think that is complete and utter horse-shit.

http://www.braillebattery.com/index....atteries/b2015
mouthfulloflake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:34 PM   #14
Ua the Destroyer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 232
My 2001 has an Odyssey that the p/o put in 7.5 years ago, that is still going strong. He used a battery tender on it, and so do I if I'm not going to ride the bike for a couple weeks. I was thinking of replacing it as preventative maintenance sometime in the next year, since it has to be nearing the end of it's service life, but it's hard to fix what isn't broken.
Ua the Destroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #15
Beezer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,249
Def.... all the above, mostly stays on floats.... and 160hp so 8.5:1 cr... also its 4x the size of the boxer, so still a load to spin over.

I have been putting Odyssey batteries in airplanes for a while and nothing holds up as well. Aircraft are hard on batteries. I have several customers that have gotten 6-7 years good service & replaced them just because... no sign of weakness, just changed because of the places they go & no one around if there is a problem. I ran one in my boat 6 years & gave it to my brother to put in his R80 & it got 2 more years & was still working when he sold it.
Beezer is offline   Reply With Quote