Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2010, 10:14 AM   #1
tipler OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
SW Motech Center Stand F800GS

Hi
Anyone using one of these on an 800S? Any problems with them falling down offroad? Corning/clearance problems?

Anyone have any pics of one on the bike?
tipler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
I use one and have no issues with clearance or putting it up on the stand.
You may want to get a large 0-ring to tie it up because it bangs down and up in the rocks and rough trails even with the rubber stop!

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #3
jscottyk
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Unlimited
I use one and have no issues with clearance or putting it up on the stand.
You may want to get a large 0-ring to tie it up because it bangs down and up in the rocks and rough trails even with the rubber stop!
Resurrecting this thread...

Anybody having similar issues with the OEM center stand bouncing around on rough trails? Or is this a SW Motech issue only?
jscottyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 09:13 AM   #4
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,681
My SW stand is worlds better than the BMW stand. It does drag, but not as frequently.
My bolts are slightly over tight and my stand does not bounce.
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 12:21 PM   #5
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,751
I am also looking at one. Compairing the bmw stand to the sw stand, it looks like it would be easer to push the bike forward then off the stand with the sw one?
I tapped my k100 once while backing ny atv in the garege. Knocked the bike off the center stand and made a mess of the K.
Old 09-17-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
I prefer the SW Motech over stock. Its lighter and easier to get the bike up on it. Costs less too. Don't bother to get the special mounting tool when you buy the stand from www.twistedthrottle.com Re-bar and piano wire or picture framing wire is what it takes to mount the spring. Dave
Old 09-17-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
Gregarious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 350
I just switched from the stock to the SW Motech. I did this mostly because the stocker doesn't work with my Park-n-Move dolly. Also the SW Motech fits better visually with the bike vs. the curved design of the stocker IMO. I find them to be about the same as far as ease of use. The SW Motech might be a smidge easier, but I also find it's retention spring isn't as taught as the stock so I had some concerns about it bouncing more.

While I don't like the look of the curved stock version, it does have a purpose: usage on dirt or gravel. The stock with likely perform better with greater surface area on the ground, and the curved section will be less likely to bury itself in softer ground as you lift the bike up.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:56 AM   #8
fireman.peter
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hi!
I'm new to this forum and I just became a GS rider. Since my bike F800 has no center stand I want to know all about it.
I would ask for pictures (details), I am most interested in SW Motech. I would like to produce it by my myself but the problem are dimensions of the center stand which I dont have. Has anyone of you made ​​it by himself? Would any of you be so kind and inform me about dimensions?
Thank you for your answers!
fireman.peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 02:48 PM   #9
B-B

Oddometer: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregarious View Post
While I don't like the look of the curved stock version, it does have a purpose: usage on dirt or gravel. The stock with likely perform better with greater surface area on the ground, and the curved section will be less likely to bury itself in softer ground as you lift the bike up.
+1, I've used the stock stand in places the side stand and a foot-type center would stink; middle of a grassy pasture for instance.
B-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 05:30 PM   #10
KamLeeR
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 141
Just installed the SW Motech centerstand on my 2011 800GS. Very quick and simple install! Did not have spring tool, so borrowed my husband. Attached chainsaw cord as a loop around shorter spring first. I held on to bike and stood on one side of screwdriver while my husband navigated and pulled his side. Worked perfectly! Just like a couple of Texas Rednecks! The longer spring went on with a bit less effort. No sag, bounce, or interfence with offroad. Much more easier to get up on stand than stock. Nice rebound when pushing off stand.

2009 BMW GSA
2012 KLR 650
2012 KLX 250s
KamLeeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
malloy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 705
Question Work w/ Jesse bags?

Does the SWMotech center stand have good clearance with Jesse bags? Anyone tried this combination?
Old 03-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #12
GH41
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
The BMW stand will also work better on hot asphalt. GH
GH41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #13
txtallywhacker
screw schedules

Oddometer: 109
Resurrection!!

for those of you who have the sw motech center stand, is it possible to get the front tire off the deck with this stand? cause its not possible with the bmw one.
txtallywhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
Mtl_Biker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 428
What do you mean?

I doubt if ANY center stand will lift the front wheel off the ground, as the front is heavier than the rear and it naturally stays on the ground with the rear wheel lifted off. That doesn't mean you cannot get the front wheel up with the stock stand... I do it all the time. All you have to do is find a rock, piece of wood, etc. of the right height and while pushing the rear down onto the ground, slip whatever you have under the engine. That holds the bike pretty steady and the front wheel comes off easily. It's a little tough to do all alone, but I've done it by moving my support under the bike with my foot, while putting weight on the back of the bike to bring it down.

And if all you have is a side stand, you can also get the front wheel off (I've never done it... yet) as so nicely demonstrated in the videos by Helge Pedersen ("BMW F800GS Adventure Touring Instructional DVD"). Don't know how you'd get the rear wheel off with only a side stand though. I notice Helge doesn't show how that could be done. :)

Final note: The BMW stock center stand has been redesigned for the 2013 model year and the bike pops up onto the stand more easily than any (big) bike I've owned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtallywhacker View Post
for those of you who have the sw motech center stand, is it possible to get the front tire off the deck with this stand? cause its not possible with the bmw one.
#6 2011 BMW K1300GT (sold)
#7 2011 Triumph Tiger 800 (sold)
#8 2013 BMW F800GS Kalamata Metallic
Mtl_Biker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:03 AM   #15
txtallywhacker
screw schedules

Oddometer: 109
thanks

i was just going off my klr, i can get any tire i want off the ground just by removing or installing the luggage. guess thats not the case with this heavy turd.
txtallywhacker is offline   Reply With Quote