Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #1
MotoTex OP
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,440
Wink I thought long rear tire life on an Adv was an oxymoron . . .

I realized today that the Conti Trail Attack on the rear of the bike has been there for almost a year. I put it on prior to a trip to Big Bend last Christmas. I've ridden lots of miles of gravel road with it, and many miles of street while suffering from that issue with the front wheel coming up on acceleration. Best guess, I've got between eight and ten thousand miles on this tire, and I think this is very, very strange.

Prior to putting this tire on I wore out two Scorpions and a Dunlop Knobby on the back between February and December of 2011, so I know my riding style isn't conducive to tire longevity.

Granted, I am now one year into a marriage, and that has kept me off the bike a little, but she has two bikes of her own (Monster 696 and a TW200), so I know that she hasn't been an effective deterrent, the way I hear many complain about.

I'm thinking there may be something else going on here. Alien abduction perhaps? There's no way that this tire has survived this long with me riding 70/30 paved/gravel. I'm somewhat ashamed and abashed that I wasn't able to wear it out quicker.

Nonetheless, I'm putting another one on there. They aren't the best thing on the dirt, but they aren't bad, as long as you are ready for the inevitable sliding around during braking or downshifting on gravel. Balancing the long life against me having to be a little bit better rider on dirt roads, I'll accept that challenge and see if I can get another year out of the next one. Heck, I've even put one on the front now and have been pretty impressed with it on the dirt roads.

Anyone else having this disturbing issue with long rear tire live on their 9X0?

Maybe we could form a support group?

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 12:21 PM   #2
CRW
I dont want a pickle

Oddometer: 695
Yup love mine!!!!!!
CRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:19 PM   #3
Terence FFM
prof. cat-herder

Oddometer: 354
Thumb liked mine too

I got about 18,000km or 11,000miles out of mine. New it was fantastic wet or dry. However, I found as it aged, it gave up some of the wet grip it had new as well as a lot of the feedback. This was not in relationship to the slowly disappearing tread depth either; when I decided it was time to replace the tire, there was still sufficient tread depth left (more than the legal requirment of 1.6mm here in Germany). But since the rear end was increasingly easy to slide and the front was numb feeling and not at all like how it felt when the tire was new, plus winter was coming again meaning more cold, wet rides, I figured I had gotten my money's worth and replaced it with a Heidenau K60 Scout. I've added a second off road set of rims in the meanwhile, so when the K60s are worn out, I am looking forward to trying out the new Conti Trail Attack 2.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 5,824
Loved mine. Had 10K miles on it when I pulled it off the bike. Still had plenty of tread left. and Yeah, They do surprisingly good offroad.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:17 PM   #5
gbx2001
Geophiz

Oddometer: 83
Any thoughts on the puncture resistance of the Conti T/As versus the stock Pirelli Scorps? I have some Scorps that will need replacing after a couple of thousand km more and am interested in these Contis (or the new T/A 2 model)
gbx2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Qwik
Two Wheeled Addict

Oddometer: 5,824
Crossed most of Nevada offroad, And never had a puncture on my set in 10K miles
Old 11-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
David37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 366
I have over 7K on my Conti T/As and when they wear out, I'm going to replace them with another set of Conti T/As. Great tires.
David37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 4,893
They kind of look like Avon Distanzias. Always was happy with those on my SM bikes, even off pavement. But in real sand and really deep loose gravel, not so much. Not as good as a proper knobby of course, but yeah, they last a long time if you dont mind the ass end wallowing around off the pavement. Probably a good option for primarily pavement and graded dirt road rides.

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 06:23 AM   #9
MotoTex OP
Miles of Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terence FFM View Post
I got about 18,000km or 11,000miles out of mine. New it was fantastic wet or dry. However, I found as it aged, it gave up some of the wet grip it had new as well as a lot of the feedback.
I noticed this in the wet the other day and thought it was just a little more slippery out. It might be something about the tire. Well, it is just about shot anyway, and I'll trade reduced wet traction at end of life in exchange for longevity overall.

For me this is the best value when riding bias is more than 60% paved on a do-it-all bike. The DRZ is my preference for full on dirt work, but it is fun to show what the 950 can do when the opportunity presents itself.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

Old 11-29-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
MotoTex OP
Miles of Smiles

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbx2001 View Post
Any thoughts on the puncture resistance of the Conti T/As versus the stock Pirelli Scorps? I have some Scorps that will need replacing after a couple of thousand km more and am interested in these Contis (or the new T/A 2 model)
Through the life of the tire I have had only one puncture, and this was on a ride a couple of weeks ago that got into some Mesquite thorns off-road.

I did spin the valve stem off the tube while vacationing in Big Bend after lowering the pressure too much, but that was no fault of the tire.

Old 12-01-2012, 04:32 AM   #11
Kenbike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 556
I went from the TKC 80 to the trail attacks this spring. Great tire and they do pretty good on the back roads in my area. I did find the 45 tooth rear sprocket was to much with the trail attack's so I went back to the stock 42 rear 17 front.
It really lets the torque of the motor work and it hits 40 mpg.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:42 AM   #12
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post

I'm thinking there may be something else going on here. Alien abduction perhaps?
It wasn't me. I got similar results from a set of Trail A Tax. They work better than they should off road if you air down a bit. I ran them at 36 to 38 front, 40 to 46 rear on the road and they worked great, they have much less rolling resistance than Skorps and yielded better gas milage too.

You are probably using the wrong engine oil, prefilter, fuel pump, chain lube & clutch oil jet. Change those and your tire milage will go down!

"Bad roads, good people. Good roads, bad people." Mama Espinoza
“Ride first, tart second. Sorry bro but that’s the way it has to be.” Cbrit, 2008
“You gas it where I brake!” trackday passenger, Thunderhill, 2005
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 07:47 AM   #13
Sporting Wood
I <3 Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 828
I got up to the part about taking a Conti Trail Attack to Big Bend and quit reading. This is GeeSpot.
Sporting Wood is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:23 PM   #14
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,059
How the fuck you people get that sort of mileage from your tyres, i am lucky to get 6000km from the rear tyre, regardles of the make. There is a bloke on a diffferent forum, claiming he got 16000 miles out of his scorps! Sounds a bit optimistic to me !
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #15
Cactus Dave
Born to Argue

Oddometer: 688
I prefer the Scorpions for an all-around tire. I used a 606/908 to run dirt to the Pacific and mounted Trail Attacks for the slab back. They were OK, but I consider them to be a slab tire. As they wore, they bcame more and more vague, squared off and simply unremarkable. OK, but I think the SWcorps are better dirt tires and 99% of the highway tire the T/A's are. Just my thoughts. Opinions about tires are like, well, opinions in general, and we all know what that means.

Cheers,

Dave
Cactus Dave is offline   Reply With Quote