ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 02:13 PM   #16
ibeme1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Assfault View Post
First welcome to the asylum!

I have a XR400 that sat for over 3 months, and by adhearing to the "drill" it started on the first kick.
It is properly maintained, valves in spec, carb in good condition, and the proper driil done. I use mine as a buddy bike, ans so it doesnt get used much. But it always starts fairly easily.
Thank you for the welcome Assfault and thank you for the XR info.
ibeme1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:27 PM   #17
ibeme1 OP
Adventurer

Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Isn't that an oxymoron? You "save up" for a KTM.

....understood. My wife and I are going to be buying a house in a year and I do not have a job right now so thats why I used the word "saving". I am fearful of buying a KTM, I believe the later models are supposed to be more dependable then "older" (early 2000 models). Even if they are dependable if I decide to crash and tear something up I would probably have to save (there's that word again) to fix it. Dont get me wrong thats just my interpretation of sexy KTMs. I also like Husky TE's but I think they are more trail oriented then I need.

I plan on doing forest service roads versus trails and KTM's and Huskys seem like they would be too much bike for that kinda riding. Seems like riding a KTM or Husky would be like driving a Ferrari around a neighborhood . That would simply be cruel to those machines

Agreed. The DRZ was a disappointing trail machine. The XR has a lot of torque and tractability.
I just cant take the stress of buying a bike.....
Old 11-29-2012, 02:44 PM   #18
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellSickle View Post
Isn't that an oxymoron? You "save up" for a KTM.

Agreed. The DRZ was a disappointing trail machine. The XR has a lot of torque and tractability.
To me it felt like a more balanced bike weight wise also, and even if all that shit was whack at least the engine side cases are noticeably stronger than a pickle jar; the DRZ, not so much.

As to riding a Husky or KTM on fire roads, they would love it, especially the ever luggable 5xx EXC mills and 09+ te 310/450/510 will be very similar but have a much closer tranny. The thing about a KTM or a Husky is after a couple of seasons of being looped out, cartwheeled across the desert floor, dropped off cliffs, dragged down the sides of scree fields, bounced off the rev limiter for long periods, and generally treated like a cheap trick they might be ugly but will still ride just fine. Just change the oil, check the valves, and keep the air filter clean and they'll run fine; you'll spend more time straightening bent hand guards and skid plates and changing tires than on preventative maint. A DRZ given the same treatment will have to be sold for parts, an XR will probably look damn near the same as the day you bought and run like it too; whether you changed the oil or not.
Of course the bike doesn't exist, this entire forum is here because the right bike doesn't exist but the right people do, and they make the trip anyway.

VxZeroKnots screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 02:54 PM
VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:38 PM   #19
ibeme1 OP
Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
To me it felt like a more balanced bike weight wise also, and even if all that shit was whack at least the engine side cases are noticeably stronger than a pickle jar; the DRZ, not so much.

As to riding a Husky or KTM on fire roads, they would love it, especially the ever luggable 5xx EXC mills and 09+ te 310/450/510 will be very similar but have a much closer tranny. The thing about a KTM or a Husky is after a couple of seasons of being looped out, cartwheeled across the desert floor, dropped off cliffs, dragged down the sides of scree fields, bounced off the rev limiter for long periods, and generally treated like a cheap trick they might be ugly but will still ride just fine. Just change the oil, check the valves, and keep the air filter clean and they'll run fine; you'll spend more time straightening bent hand guards and skid plates and changing tires than on preventative maint. A DRZ given the same treatment will have to be sold for parts, an XR will probably look damn near the same as the day you bought and run like it too; whether you changed the oil or not.
Hmmmm...thanks for your input Vx.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:38 PM   #20
ibeme1 OP
Adventurer

Laugh Mikuni Pumper Carburetor Kit 36mm

If I get the XR what kind of modifications should be made to the carburetor? Jets? Change carb? Nitrous with lengthened swingarm from R1, etc.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #21
ColoradoV-Strom
HEY Y'ALL WATCHIS!!

Oddometer: 494
Mikuni

The Mikuni Carb was the best mod I have made. It cured the hard starting and it cured the hesitation when you hammer the throttle hard from low rpm's. It just has more power too. Different bike now.
ColoradoV-Strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:28 AM   #22
ibeme1 OP
Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoV-Strom View Post
The Mikuni Carb was the best mod I have made. It cured the hard starting and it cured the hesitation when you hammer the throttle hard from low rpm's. It just has more power too. Different bike now.

Where did you buy your carb from?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:51 AM   #23
ColoradoV-Strom
HEY Y'ALL WATCHIS!!

Oddometer: 494
I bought it from XR's Only. I highly recommend them, because they machine fit it to your bike, saving you the trouble, and include the throttle cables.

http://www.xrsonly.com/
ColoradoV-Strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:00 PM   #24
ibeme1 OP
Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoV-Strom View Post
I bought it from XR's Only. I highly recommend them, because they machine fit it to your bike, saving you the trouble, and include the throttle cables.

http://www.xrsonly.com/
Thanks again Strom

I just bought a 2004 XR400 today =)
Old 12-03-2012, 02:21 PM   #25
ibeme1 OP
Adventurer

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
Valves and jetting, and maybe the "drill". My old XR4 was hard starting till I got the jetting situated. Lots of info on setting them up in the thumpers section or on thumpertalk.com.
Thanks J ..... I read many stories on issues cranking the XR but I also read several saying they werent that bad as long as you knew the right technique.

Hoping to get some DOT tires on it this week
Old 12-03-2012, 07:40 PM   #26
JGR
I ride in jeans.

Oddometer: 99
Congrats, that's a sweet bike. Welcome to the club of men who still kickstart their bikes and don't complain about it like it's difficult or something. Just choke it (when its cold), kick it slowly until you feel some real resistance (TDC), barely crack the throttle, and kick it good with some follow through. If it is often difficult, richen your air/fuel screw.
606's are hard to beat for a real DS tire.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #27
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGR View Post
Congrats, that's a sweet bike. Welcome to the club of men who still kickstart their bikes and don't complain about it like it's difficult or something. Just choke it (when its cold), kick it slowly until you feel some real resistance (TDC), barely crack the throttle, and kick it good with some follow through. If it is often difficult, richen your air/fuel screw.
606's are hard to beat for a real DS tire.
Often when cold I would turn the idle up a couple turns and don't touch the throttle. Once warmed up turn the idle back down. When it's hot and you dump it, kick 3 or 4 times through with the compression release pulled to clear the cylinder of gas. Usually fires up on the next kick.

Still miss my 400, had a WR450F for awhile and even though I really liked the WR, the XR handled tight trails better in my opinion. The WR had tons of power but I think the XR was little more forgiving when lugging it. WR's suspension was better if you planned on getting air born a lot
Old 12-06-2012, 12:33 AM   #28
ibeme1 OP
Adventurer

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
Often when cold I would turn the idle up a couple turns and don't touch the throttle. Once warmed up turn the idle back down. When it's hot and you dump it, kick 3 or 4 times through with the compression release pulled to clear the cylinder of gas. Usually fires up on the next kick.

Still miss my 400, had a WR450F for awhile and even though I really liked the WR, the XR handled tight trails better in my opinion. The WR had tons of power but I think the XR was little more forgiving when lugging it. WR's suspension was better if you planned on getting air born a lot

Thanks JW and the rest of the crew for your help. You guys have been great.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #29
ibeme1 OP
Adventurer

Eek

Sold the XR because I am a sissy and I want a bike with an electric start.

I have posted this elsewhere on the forum but since I have your attention here are the bikes I am considering. My primary riding will be on dirt roads and such. My plan is to do some camping with it this year.

1. XT 250
2. KLX250S
3. DRZ400 (S/SM/E if its titled already)

I need to stay below $3400

Sorry for duplicates questions.....

Jeff G
Old 01-04-2013, 03:20 PM   #30
SaharaJp99
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibeme1 View Post
Sold the XR because I am a sissy and I want a bike with an electric start.

I have posted this elsewhere on the forum but since I have your attention here are the bikes I am considering. My primary riding will be on dirt roads and such. My plan is to do some camping with it this year.

1. XT 250
2. KLX250S
3. DRZ400 (S/SM/E if its titled already)

I need to stay below $3400

Sorry for duplicates questions.....

Jeff G
If all you are doing is dirt roads the DRZ, or even better, The DR650 would be my choice. The comfort of the bigger bikes and not having to wring their necks out at speed is worth it. Neither are good technical trail bikes, but for dirt road riding and camping they are great and the aftermarket support is plentiful.

Just to warn you though, if you are new to Co, once you get a taste of the technical ridińg this state has to offer its all over and you'll need to get another bike. Don't say we didn't warn ya!
SaharaJp99 is online now   Reply With Quote