Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 12:43 PM   #16
ricochetrider
a certain something

Oddometer: 1,648
The Olde Adage- If something SEEMS too good...

to be true, it probably IS.
ricochetrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochetrider View Post
The Olde Adage- If something SEEMS too good to be true, it probably IS.
Yeah, but it's the "probably" part that nags at you and makes you want it to be true.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:46 PM   #18
jbcaddy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,152
I just saw a mini excavator on craigs list locally for about one tenth of its worth. decided it is not worth the time to ask about it. no phone number listed or location. it gave an email address that was not clickable, so probably just scamming for a sucker. I just cannot dig up enough hope to even give it the remotest possibility that it might be real.
jbcaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:16 AM   #19
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,447
I had the exact same experience a while back, while shopping for an older Tacoma. It is DEFINITELY a scam.

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:39 AM   #20
photomd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
It sounds like a scam to me...for what that's worth.

If you want to buy something long distance sight unseen, I'd suggest https://www.escrow.com/index.asp. I've used this several times to buy used stuff and thought it was worth the extra cost for the protection. There may be other escrow services: my google-fu hasn't had a cup of coffee yet.
1998 CR250
photomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #21
Center-stand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 375
A couple of years ago I purchased a vintage instrument that I found on CL. The deal was done in person so no scam.

I posted a pic of the instrument on a music forum I frequent to share my find with some friends.

About three months after the purchase I received a PM on the music site from someone in Ireland wishing to know if I still had the instrument. Being cautious, I questioned the questioner. He sent me a link to a CL ad in Ireland offering the same model / year instrument for sale at one tenth it's value. I contacted the seller and he sent me pics of two different instruments one of the pictures being the one I posted on the music forum. As luck would have it when I replied asking which one was actually for sale, he indicated the one I owned. I messed with him for an exchange or two discussing payment method and shipping before reporting the ad and calling him out on his attempted scam. The ad disappeared but I am sure he's still out there trolling for victims.

I still watch CL and have purchased three motorcycles there, but all deals have been done in person. I wouldn't buy anything off of CL that I haven't got my hands on when the money is exchanged.
Center-stand is offline   Reply With Quote