Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-28-2013, 06:39 PM   #31
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuateRider View Post
Finally !!! I have been waiting quiet some time for you to come up with this

Hey Cal, did you ever hear me saying this ???
ummm yes and the mexicana at the table that night was not very impressed, Luisa said it was okay if I used it.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:09 PM   #32
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
ummm yes and the mexicana at the table that night was not very impressed, Luisa said it was okay if I used it.
Luisa must be an interesting sort
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:41 PM   #33
miguelito OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Looks estupendo, miguelito! In the middle of the country among lakes and mountains... sweetness!

We'll get down that way some day amigo, my Ecuatoriana and I; might have to see if you're still there and up to meet.

Let me know when you are coming. First beer's on me.
miguelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #34
miguelito OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post

Television provides today's Spanish phrase book

And, fodder for future ride report titles

Old 02-28-2013, 08:49 PM   #35
miguelito OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Hey Cal, did you ever hear me saying this ???

That's my point exactly amigo. Leave the insults for those who speak fluently, and are inclined to insult. I find while travelling, a smile goes a long way in forging friendships, or at least avoiding a bar fight.
Old 03-01-2013, 03:16 AM   #36
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,371
Gringo Use of Vulgar Phrases and Words

Disclaimer: The following is not directed to anyone who has already posted in this thread.

Fact: Gringos who look in a "dirty Spanish" phrase book and/or pick up a few lines off the internet of off-color slang, and then proceed to Mexico or further south and try to sling it to appear "cool" or "knowledgeable", look like asses.

Above all, they look like they looked in a "dirty Spanish" phrase book and/or picked up a few lines off the internet of off-color slang, and then proceeded to Mexico or further south and tried to sling it to appear "cool" or "knowledgeable".

Equally, 99 percent of gringos have no appreciation of the context in which they are trying to use this stuff and run the outstanding risk that they will antagonize, rather than entertain, their "audience".

There is no rational scenario where the typical I'm-still-learning-Spanish traveler could be incentivized to pull vulgar words out of his mental lexicon when, at best, he is still desperately trying to use what he knows of Spanish find his way to the baño.
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:48 AM   #37
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,125
Quote:
Fact: Gringos who look in a "dirty Spanish" phrase book and/or pick up a few lines off the internet of off-color slang, and then proceed to Mexico or further south and try to sling it to appear "cool" or "knowledgeable", look like asses.
Can we get an "orale"? Rhetorical question, I'll give you an orale for that. Sums up what I've always said and believed.

When I teach my students here, I give the adult students one class on curses and swearing in English (it is always referred to as "THE class") and it is usually highly anticipated and appreciated. I use a grammatical analysis, a video clip, and an audio clip, and provide them with everything they need...to understand when someone is using something against them.

I make it clear they are not to even begin to try to use it back towards those antagonizing them, but merely to know what the words refer to, and to understand they are being disrespected. The video clip drives this point home.

There is nothing wrong with this. But again, it is made clear to them that they merely have an understanding and are by no means capable of using the words and phrases. This counters the "a little bit of knowledge can be a dangerous thing" events from happening.

A lot of people who come to Mexico misunderstand some things. Many of the "dirty phrases" etc... are commonly used, but it is the tone and direction that can morph it from a comment into a personal attack. If you have ever been in Alvarado, Ver., the place is famous for the local vernacular being enough to make a sailor blush. Old women, little kids, tossing around words that make a Chilango faint. But that is the local norm, always has been and, very likely, it always will be.

Calling someone a "gringo" is no big thing, but when the tone of voice changes, you know it is more than just a word for a foreigner. Importantly, certain words carry different meanings in different countries where Spanish is spoken. Looking for a concha on the beach in Mexico is normal, looking for one in Buenos Aires or Mar del Plata can get interesting.

Hearing "cabron" or "guey/buey" used in conversation amongst males in Mexico is common, but they have the tone part down pat, use it with the wrong tone and you'll become the focus of attention very quickly. Also, the use of what can be termed "border slang" or Chicano/Cholo slang is ridiculous in any part of Mexico south of Monterrey. You just don't hear it and if you do, it is from someone from outside the area. It's a fact, you don't see a lot of lowriders in DF.

If this doesn't convince you, then think of how odd Pat Boone would look singing a rap song. That'll do it!
MikeMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 05:40 AM   #38
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,367
Laugh

Quote:

The mexicana was a wannabe gringa , and Luisa was right (as always)
And trust me , it is completely OK to say "Que putas?" , it's not an insult at all.

If you listen to this poem from El Salvador ,you will see that I'm right about this and you all might learn a few more ways how to use a word, that a non native speaker might consider insulting or offensive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz8RZ61_Vfo

Gracias a mis amigos Guanacos por enseñarme este lindo poema
Old 03-01-2013, 01:05 PM   #39
Cal
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 760
My Spanish teacher is from Colombia and a Morman!! So I have learned not a bad word I use to many in English ,so I though it would be great to start over in Spanish with no bad habits.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 01:20 PM   #40
jimmy2020
limpiador de ventanas

Oddometer: 977
i'm sure you know these

moto - motorcycle
mota - weed

que tengas un buen dia!

"the adrenaline and stress of an adventure are better than a thousand peaceful days"
jimmy2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:04 PM   #41
GuateRider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,367
Laugh

Quote:
My Spanish teacher is from Colombia and a Morman!! So I have learned not a bad word I use to many in English ,so I though it would be great to start over in Spanish with no bad habits.
If your Spanish is as good as your Mexican cooking , then you don't have nothing to worry about
Old 03-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #42
Rafagas
Rafagas

Oddometer: 47
Easy translate

Ya pooh, dejense de huevadas..................

Try to understand its.
Rafagas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 07:33 PM   #43
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Disclaimer: The following is not directed to anyone who has already posted in this thread.

Above all, they look like they looked in a "dirty Spanish" phrase book and/or picked up a few lines off the internet of off-color slang, and then proceeded to Mexico or further south and tried to sling it to appear "cool" or "knowledgeable".

Equally, 99 percent of gringos have no appreciation of the context in which they are trying to use this stuff and run the outstanding risk that they will antagonize, rather than entertain, their "audience".

There is no rational scenario where the typical I'm-still-learning-Spanish traveler could be incentivized to pull vulgar words out of his mental lexicon when, at best, he is still desperately trying to use what he knows of Spanish find his way to the baño.
That is so well expressed, Roberto. I fully agree with the sentiment.

Do you Colombianos use "largarse"? I had people in stitches, to the point of laughing to tears on an appropriate situation. Probably the funniest part was that I was confused why it was so entertaining for them. Interesting situation; I learned something and we were all entertained!
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 03-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #44
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
... I give the adult students one class on curses and swearing in English ... and provide them with everything they need...to understand when someone is using something against them. I make it clear they are not to even begin to try to use it back...
Good deal you're teaching there. I've seriously thought that would be a cool thing to do. There's an international English to Foreign Language speakers teaching certificate which I don't know all the hoops one must jump through to obtain. But it's pretty decent pay by local standards, one can get some free time to travel, and live pretty well. But it IS an obligation.

The bottom line I'm coming away with from this discussion of appropriate language, is the importance of showing respect. It's not so much the words themselves, necessarily, as the idea and respect conveyed.
Old 03-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #45
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
The mexicana was a wannabe gringa , and Luisa was right (as always)
And trust me , it is completely OK to say "Que putas?" , it's not an insult at all.
If you listen to this poem from El Salvador ,you will see that I'm right about this and you all might learn a few more ways how to use a word, that a non native speaker might consider insulting or offensive
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nz8RZ61_Vfo
Gracias a mis amigos Guanacos por enseñarme este lindo poema
That's a hilarious video! I've heard people talk this way. Been able to myself on a couple rare occasions. Cubanos are particularly colorful in my experience.
But before it goes misleading people, that is definitely language you have to use with someone who talks that way themselves and with whom you have pleanty of confianza. I can assure you talk like that will be highly insulting to someone you don't know or barely know in Ecuador. If one doesn't mind being a verdadero pendejo, then go ahead. But it could have unpleasant consequences.

No seas el confianzudo, hijueputa!