Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 06:52 PM   #1
cgguy09 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Just bought a 04' BMW Rockster

Gents,
I've been stalking your posts for the last 4 years. You see I built myself a cb350 cafe racer, but I've always loved the BMW bikes. The R1150R Rockster was the bike that made me want a motorcycle. & today I just bought one.

I know its not a GS, but I after searching the earth, this seems like the best bimmer forum out there. The bike I bought is an 04' BMW R1150R Rockster ABS. ~13,000 miles on it, clean title, from a gent up in CT who claims to have taken expert care of it. I plan to have it shipped to Missouri (my current local) when I get in touch with him. Here is his description:

"This is probably the best example of the R1150R Rockster you will find. The bike is flawless. I bought it with 5k miles and have enjoyed it for 5years. It now has 13k miles. I have used only Amsoil synthetics in the motor, tranny and final drive since I bought it. Last year I added Wilbur’s front and rear shocks ($1400 upgrade) but that was well worth the money. Bike handles and rides much, much better. I also added a quick release tank bag and a Luminar windscreen. The bike also comes with a set of BMW side bags , which I never used.

The Rocksters were only made a few years, but are basically an R1150R with an attitude. BMW reduced the gear ratio in the final drive , so it’s a little snappier than the plain R bike , added some carbon fiber parts , and gave it an eye catching paint scheme with powder coated wheels. I get comments on it everywhere I ride. This is a dual spark motor (very smooth) and it has ABS. (wouldn’t ride a bike without that !)

The bike is PERFECT and needs nothing , so I won’t “give it away”. But if you are interested, come and try it, you won’t be disappointed."

I know the GS1150 and the R1150 share much in common. I was curious if you gentlemen could tell me: What to Ask about/ what to look for/ and what to do when I get it?

I figure I should look into oil change, air filter change, brakes (maybe fluid or pads...maybe just an inspection) tires, lights (signal and head)

Also, what things should I look for as far as basic maintenance? I'm pretty comfortable around working around a bike. & I'm a fairly competent mechanic around cars. Although, I'll admit the CB350 is about as simple as the come. I've never worked with fuel injectors, modern disc brakes, and the like. If I need to go to a shop, just tell me. But I have a ton of tools and know how to use them.

I won't say I'm a "noob" but perhaps more at the sophomore level (a wise fool).

Guys any help you want to give I'm open to. The link to the bike is below.

Thanks team.

cFogs out
BT
NNNN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R1150R-R...p2047675.l2557
cgguy09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
schlim66
Loner

Oddometer: 679
Congrats, you're going to love it! That bike looks very well kept. Those Wilbers are a great upgrade and it should handle like a dream. The one thing I would suggest is you check with the seller about the Wilbers spring rates. A lot of people who get new shocks, order different spring rates than the stock ones. Not everybody conforms to the "85Kg's" that most BMW's come with and buying aftermarket shocks gives them an easy opportunity to fix that. Make sure the springs and therefore the pre-load, can be set for your weight.

These "R" bikes are dead simple to work on, I've had quite a few and after the break-in service they rarely see the dealer. Check out the Hall of Wisdom on the bottom of the page, you will find just about any info you'll need for most maintenance or repairs.

Cheers,
Schlim66
schlim66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:21 PM   #3
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgguy09 View Post
Gents,
I've been stalking your posts for the last 4 years. You see I built myself a cb350 cafe racer, but I've always loved the BMW bikes. The R1150R Rockster was the bike that made me want a motorcycle. & today I just bought one.

I know its not a GS, but I after searching the earth, this seems like the best bimmer forum out there. The bike I bought is an 04' BMW R1150R Rockster ABS. ~13,000 miles on it, clean title, from a gent up in CT who claims to have taken expert care of it. I plan to have it shipped to Missouri (my current local) when I get in touch with him. Here is his description:

"This is probably the best example of the R1150R Rockster you will find. The bike is flawless. I bought it with 5k miles and have enjoyed it for 5years. It now has 13k miles. I have used only Amsoil synthetics in the motor, tranny and final drive since I bought it. Last year I added Wilbur’s front and rear shocks ($1400 upgrade) but that was well worth the money. Bike handles and rides much, much better. I also added a quick release tank bag and a Luminar windscreen. The bike also comes with a set of BMW side bags , which I never used.

The Rocksters were only made a few years, but are basically an R1150R with an attitude. BMW reduced the gear ratio in the final drive , so it’s a little snappier than the plain R bike , added some carbon fiber parts , and gave it an eye catching paint scheme with powder coated wheels. I get comments on it everywhere I ride. This is a dual spark motor (very smooth) and it has ABS. (wouldn’t ride a bike without that !)

The bike is PERFECT and needs nothing , so I won’t “give it away”. But if you are interested, come and try it, you won’t be disappointed."

I know the GS1150 and the R1150 share much in common. I was curious if you gentlemen could tell me: What to Ask about/ what to look for/ and what to do when I get it?

I figure I should look into oil change, air filter change, brakes (maybe fluid or pads...maybe just an inspection) tires, lights (signal and head)

Also, what things should I look for as far as basic maintenance? I'm pretty comfortable around working around a bike. & I'm a fairly competent mechanic around cars. Although, I'll admit the CB350 is about as simple as the come. I've never worked with fuel injectors, modern disc brakes, and the like. If I need to go to a shop, just tell me. But I have a ton of tools and know how to use them.

I won't say I'm a "noob" but perhaps more at the sophomore level (a wise fool).

Guys any help you want to give I'm open to. The link to the bike is below.

Thanks team.

cFogs out
BT
NNNN

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-R1150R-R...p2047675.l2557
At that mileage, throw a leg over it and ride it home. The bike is full of good lubricants and the brakes are likely fine. Check the tires and battery condition.

Don't merely change the oil unless it needs it. Amsoil synthetic can go 10,000 miles OCI.

Get JVB's DVDs.

Others will chime in but, from the looks of it, you have an almost new BMW, nicely appointed at what appears to be a very fair price.

BTW, that bike begs to be ridden from CT to MO. Shipping it would be sinful.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #4
Bluecomet
What, me worry?

Oddometer: 112
Look both ways........then RIDE

Sweet looking ride at a great price. How close is it to a dealership? I agree with Def, fly out, leave some time to take care of some road worthiness checks and perhaps a trip to a dealer.......get on it and ride it like you stole it!
Bluecomet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:19 PM   #5
Bill-66
Hencho in Kansas

Oddometer: 7,168
What my friend def said..fly n ride!!!
Old 05-09-2014, 02:43 AM   #6
GreyThumper
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Congratulations! I've got one of these, love it, and hope you'll end up loving yours too.

Might wanna check out http://www.r1150r.org/ since it's a model-specific forum for (mainly) the R1150R/Rockster and R1200R.

Stuff to look for:

"Maintenance points: Brake fluid changed not less than every two years in 02-03; not less than every 4 in 04-06. Seek records for this.

Clutch slave cylinders can fail from corrosion. The regular fluid change can delay this onset. Clutch hubs and transmission input shaft splines experience premature failure on 1-2% of the models. Little known about the failure mode, but inspection can predict failure.

Final drive small bearing races, big main bearings, and seals fail at a 3-5% rate. Transmission rear main seals can fail and contaminate the clutch facing. Starters, batteries, shocks, coils, front headset wiring all experience failures from bad parts, wear and tear, etc. While aggravating, these are within expected wear rates.

Generally, the unexpected failures occur between 24000-40000 miles. After that the bike seems to be totally durable and reliable."

Quote taken from this thread: http://www.r1150r.org/board/viewtopi...18130&p=160524

So far, mine has been one of the "totally durable and reliable" ones (knock wood). The only non-consumable item that I've needed to replace was the side-stand switch. PS, check the fuel line quick disconnects. If they're plastic, replace them with metal ones ASAP. That's about it. Enjoy!
Old 05-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #7
cgguy09 OP
Adventurer

Thanks for all the information. Good to know she's good to ride. I spoke with the former owner today & he said he'd ride it out to california and back without thinking twice about it. I'm trying to schedule a trip out there, but I'm in the military and I'm preping for a state-side deployment for two-three weeks. So, I might just have it shipped to my buddies house. He hates BMW's so I don't have to worry about him riding it.

...On that note, any recommendations about shipping it? Put the side bags on to protect it, take down the mirrors, maybe send the extra key with the deed via USPS? I plan on using Uship. Any thoughts on that.

I'm going to look into all the maintenance items Grey mentioned. and I'm going to start digging in the Wisdom section and just reading over manuals. I'm looking for the JVB's DVDs, are those a US thing?...I found some mention o them on UK EBAY? So I'll study up before the bike gets here.

I found the r1150 forum, however, it seems to be far less robust than this august site. I'll probably be a nomad between the two until i can find a home.

Any other advice you gents have...I'm always all ears.

Thanks again!

cfogs OUT
BT
NNNN
Old 05-09-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
spoon
Rubber's gone!

Oddometer: 208
On the 1150R site, look in the 1150R section, more info than the Rockster part. Ride it but change the brake fluid as soon as possible. Check the battery terminals for tightness and see if the zip ties between the handle bars and head stock have been removed (this needs to happen). The fuel line quick disconnects need to be changed to metal and at some point the fuel lines in the tank need to be replaced. Not trying to make you second guess your buy. All of these things are easy to do. This is a great bike. I ride mine year round. There are things that need to be addressed to keep it "in the clover" but for the most part able to be performed by most folks, and fun. Lots of help here and on 1150R. Where are you?
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:16 PM   #9
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,742
Congrats! I agree on the fly and ride. I'm in Kansas City and flew to Virginia Beach a few years ago and rode home on an R1200RT. If you catch an early flight you will only need one night in a hotel.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:47 PM   #10
cgguy09 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoon View Post
On the 1150R site, look in the 1150R section, more info than the Rockster part. Ride it but change the brake fluid as soon as possible. Check the battery terminals for tightness and see if the zip ties between the handle bars and head stock have been removed (this needs to happen). The fuel line quick disconnects need to be changed to metal and at some point the fuel lines in the tank need to be replaced. Not trying to make you second guess your buy. All of these things are easy to do. This is a great bike. I ride mine year round. There are things that need to be addressed to keep it "in the clover" but for the most part able to be performed by most folks, and fun. Lots of help here and on 1150R. Where are you?
Thanks for the advice... I've been shooting the previous owner emails & I'll include those questions... in addition to my inspection of the bike CAVEAT EMPTOR

I'm currently based in St. Louis MO...A great town with great people and good riding out west and north.

What was he problem with the zip ties? The previous owner installed an HID headlight, so I assume those had to be replaced in the process (but I'll be sure to check)

I'm doing research into the Wilber shocks. I don't yet know what the pre weight is... All I know is the gent is 6'0 and retired. Is it possible to change the preload? And do I need to remove the shocks to do so?
Old 05-10-2014, 02:44 PM   #11
Craiger
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 309
Quote:

I'm doing research into the Wilber shocks. I don't yet know what the pre weight is... All I know is the gent is 6'0 and retired. Is it possible to change the preload? And do I need to remove the shocks to do so?
Wilber shocks are built for a specific riders weight using linear spring weight. The shock preload is adjusted by a knob referred to as a hydraulic pre load adjuster. A spanner wrench is used to adjust the pre load if the previous owner chose not to get the hydraulic pre load adjuster, usually an option when ordering shocks. You should not have to remove the shock to adjust preload. This is not a real concern for a fly and ride unless the differences in your weight and the previous owners is quite substantial, the Wilburs are a shock that can be rebuilt and springs can be swaped out to fit your weight after your return home.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:34 PM   #12
cgguy09 OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
Wilber shocks are built for a specific riders weight using linear spring weight. The shock preload is adjusted by a knob referred to as a hydraulic pre load adjuster. A spanner wrench is used to adjust the pre load if the previous owner chose not to get the hydraulic pre load adjuster, usually an option when ordering shocks. You should not have to remove the shock to adjust preload. This is not a real concern for a fly and ride unless the differences in your weight and the previous owners is quite substantial, the Wilburs are a shock that can be rebuilt and springs can be swaped out to fit your weight after your return home.
The motorcycle gods have smiled upon me. The gent had the spring set for 190 or 195. Exactly my weight. Sometimes, things just come together.

He also put bar risers and windshield on the bike. I'll probably drop both of those. but I think those should be easy fixes. Until then I'm heading out on Monday & hopefully the bike will be here when I get back!

Take care boys!

cFogs OUT

BT
NNNN
Old 05-10-2014, 06:45 PM   #13
spoon
Rubber's gone!

Oddometer: 208
Sounds like good news all around. The factory didn't leave enough slack in the wires going from the right and left switch gear and turning full lock will strech the wires to breaking. Snip the zip ties and problem fixed. The windshield and bar backs will be nice on this trip.
spoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:19 PM   #14
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 51,696
Quote:
Thanks for all the information. Good to know she's good to ride. I spoke with the former owner today & he said he'd ride it out to california and back without thinking twice about it. I'm trying to schedule a trip out there, but I'm in the military and I'm preping for a state-side deployment for two-three weeks. So, I might just have it shipped to my buddies house. He hates BMW's so I don't have to worry about him riding it.

...On that note, any recommendations about shipping it? Put the side bags on to protect it, take down the mirrors, maybe send the extra key with the deed via USPS? I plan on using Uship. Any thoughts on that.

I'm going to look into all the maintenance items Grey mentioned. and I'm going to start digging in the Wisdom section and just reading over manuals. I'm looking for the JVB's DVDs, are those a US thing?...I found some mention o them on UK EBAY? So I'll study up before the bike gets here.

I found the r1150 forum, however, it seems to be far less robust than this august site. I'll probably be a nomad between the two until i can find a home.

Any other advice you gents have...I'm always all ears.

Thanks again!

cfogs OUT
BT
NNNN
Just an FYI, if they are on Ebay they are counterfeit copies! Please notify Ebay of this.

Thanks,
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:29 PM   #15
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,753
Quote:
Thanks for the advice... I've been shooting the previous owner emails & I'll include those questions... in addition to my inspection of the bike CAVEAT EMPTOR

I'm currently based in St. Louis MO...A great town with great people and good riding out west and north.

What was he problem with the zip ties? The previous owner installed an HID headlight, so I assume those had to be replaced in the process (but I'll be sure to check)

Cutting the zipties relaxes the wiring in and around the ignition switch. These wires have been know to chafe due to the zipties being too tight.

The HID install likely did nothing to relax the wiring at the ignition switch.

Heck, I'll ride it back to your location if you'll by some sandwiches enroute. That looks like a really fine boxer BMW.

One way mileage is about 1200 miles. Fuel cost would be about $110.00.....I would ride it in a heartbeat.

def screwed with this post 05-10-2014 at 10:41 PM
def is online now   Reply With Quote