User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
N9G OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question Should I buy new Yamaha FJ-09 or used Ducati Multistrada 1200

Hi all. So I am in the process of selling my Yamaha FJ1200 which I have owned the past 15 years and really enjoyed, but now need something new. Right now I am debating a used '11 Multistrada with low miles (2300) and expanding fuel tank for $11k and no extended warranty. The dealer would work with me on replacing the tank and I would have the new tank epoxy coated so add another $300-400. It comes with all the cases including top, heated gripes, electronically adjustable suspension, etc. It is a really nice machine and has definite sex appeal, but the reliability factor has me concerned. For every person I have found that says they have a Multi with 20000 miles and no issues there is one saying they have had to fix or replace 3 or 4 major components and piss poor rear brakes.

On the other hand there is the Yamaha FJ-09. For just about the same price I can get the bike new with heated grips, side cases and add a top case. Of course with a factory warranty and hopefully a lack of the Ducati "drama". I don't like the top end limiter and feel it will probably be a bit less comfortable as a long haul bike and less grunt when loaded two up. Obviously a bit less sophisticated electronically, but that should translate to cheaper to maintain too. Too early for any major production run issues to crop up but there doesn't seem to be any consistent issues outside the CCT.

Usage will be a lot of commuting (8 miles one way), some weekend joy rides to curvy roads, and very occasional 2-up with the wife. Cross state trips also very occasionally. Very little to no off road usage in the plans. Living up north, the bike will be stored 5 months out of the year.

I haven't test ridden either at this point, but they both seem comfortable to me with the FJ feeling decidedly more compact when sitting on it. I think my wife would like the Multistrada pillion more and feel more secure on it, especially with the top trunk.

Which would you choose? Should I go with my head and get the presumed safer bet with the smaller, yet still grin inducing FJ-09 which probably would be a better commuter as well, or with my heart and the sex appeal and raw excitement and power of the Ducati which I may live to regret if I am spending thousands to keep it running? I wish I had a crystal ball on this one.
N9G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:42 PM   #2
Vectored2adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
Multistrada expanding fuel tank? That's unsettling.

For the ducati, it depends on your tolerance for issues and at worst possibly being stranded with your wife and you on a trip.

You're really not losing with either choice. Fj09 for me.
Vectored2adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #3
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Oddometer: 10,568
no brainer - get the Yamaha. Im sure the Duc is a great bike but there is simply too much to go wrong with a used Italian anything.
Originally Posted by Burnszilla
I was SO high, I could have hunted duck with a rake
Quote:
Originally Posted by VxZeroKnots View Post
MX stuff isn't my cup of tea, but falling down the side of a mountain is
eatpasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:57 PM   #4
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

oh.....oh and welcome to the site!

Quote:
Old 02-26-2015, 04:18 PM   #5
kickstandsup
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 237
You really need to test ride them…they will "feel" significantly different. Both nice machines, but very different character. A test ride would go a long way to informing the "head v. heart" decision.

Good luck!
kickstandsup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:42 PM   #6
bobw
Harden the phuck up

Oddometer: 928
If you plan on a long term and high mile relationship like your current bike you need to consider the actual costs of known service requirements and the possibility of "other" repairs and their costs. It's not an issue unless not reasonably factored in to the ownership satisfaction/expectations. In other words, prepare for the worse and hope for the best, if the worst happens will you be a unhappy camper or be able to vent a bit and move on knowing you had accepted this scenario going in.

That said, the worst $ spent on a motorcycle is not getting the one you really want to ride. There's nothing wrong with marrying a girl that likes to wear sensible shoes, but you don't want to totally rely on a spread sheet rather than a woody when in each others presence. Test ride, test ride, test ride.

Have fun and good luck!
bobw is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 04:51 PM   #7
MCGMB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
If the Multi were the '13 with multiple refinements, I'd go with the Ducati.

But it's not, so I say the Yammie --- fewer potential headaches, and that motor seems greater than an 850 has a right to.
MCGMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #8
DirtyRoadie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 169
Get the Ducati, ride it for a year or two then sell it and buy a used FJ09 for about 5 grand. No brainer.
DirtyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:41 PM   #9
N9G OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRoadie View Post
Get the Ducati, ride it for a year or two then sell it and buy a used FJ09 for about 5 grand. No brainer.
That is not a bad idea! Get the hot, crazy girl out of the way before settling down with the cute, sensible wife.
N9G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 05:44 PM   #10
eatpasta
Lawnmower Target

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyRoadie View Post
Quote:
Old Today, 08:45 AM   #11
rrmdeuce
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
FJ-09 or Duc

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9G View Post
That is not a bad idea! Get the hot, crazy girl out of the way before settling down with the cute, sensible wife.
I just went through this exact decision 2 weeks ago with the FJ-09, Triumph and Ducati Multistrada ....If you haven't already been out for a test ride that's a must...I found the FJ to be a little cramped and twitchy with high pegs that were little far back more like a sports bike....The Triumph 800 was a much better fit with a roomer cockpit but kinda boring...
I ended up buying a used 2014 Ducati Multistrada S. with low miles for about the same price after all the fee's
By the time you add all the extra stuff, heated grips, luggage, center stand, suspension it doesn't make sense. Call me shallow but what do I want in my garage a Yamaha or a Ducati

JMO
rrmdeuce is online now   Reply With Quote