Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2015, 05:39 AM   #1
JBMorse OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 238
Will Triumph make a middle weight ST based on the 675 triple?

Not sure if this has been discussed, but I often wonder why Triumph doesn't complete its line of smaller triples with a sport-tourer like the Sprint. I know they offer a roadie version of the Tiger 800, and as a Transalp rider, I appreciate an upright adventure bike, but what about something with a more ST riding position that's a little lower and sleeker?
It seems to me a smaller, lighter, cheaper Sprint triple would be a hit. It would probably undercut the new VFR 800 in price and would be lighter too.
JBMorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 10:19 AM   #2
KungPaoDog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 470
They may have considered it, and they still might do one, but I suspect that a 675cc triple would be viewed as to small next to the BMW F800 series, the FZ-09, etc. It would also be pretty close to the Tiger 800 variants, which (I think) are a stroked 675 engine. It would have to come in pretty cheap take away market share from the V-Strom 650, Versys LT, and the FZ-07.

I agree that it could be great, but they would have to execute very, very well to sell enough to be worth the effort. I suspect they are pleased with the sales of the T800 and see no reason to do almost the same bike with less engine. If that's what you want, put some risers and bags on a street triple or a Daytona 675r and enjoy.
Old 04-22-2015, 11:04 AM   #3
oughtsix
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Probably for the same reason the sprint got the axe; too close to both the tiger and the trophy. I really liked the sprint I rode. The 1050 triple is a fine open road engine.
Old 04-22-2015, 12:27 PM   #4
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
I've been asking the same question for the past 6 years. Then answer is NO. You and I are the only two who want one. Every time I talk with Triumph dealers or mechanics about this concept, they look at me as if I'm from Mars. Apparently, everyone thinks a Sports-Tourer needs to be a liter-bike or bigger. I strongly disagree.

Personally, I think Triumph is missing a niche market. A 675 Sprint would be the real answer to the economic argument against high-spec components on the newer 300 and 500cc bikes, and would be much better than the 650 twins from Kawasaki and Suzuki. If you have ever ridden a 675, then you know why I don't buy the 800cc argument that an F800GT or a Tiger 800 is a better bike in this niche. NOT the same. Think small(er), more nimble, higher-spec component SOLO SPORTS-tourer - easy to ride in the city, on back roads and on long trips - best and better than the Daytona and Street Triple in the REAL world of day-to-day riding on the street.

But as I said, I am apparently in a very small minority who wants a Triumph Sprint 675 that is way more comfortable than a Daytona and way more useful (in the PNW) than the naked Street Triple.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:17 PM   #5
Jim K.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
I've been asking the same question for the past 6 years. Then answer is NO. You and I are the only two who want one....

But as I said, I am apparently in a very small minority who wants a Triumph Sprint 675 that is way more comfortable than a Daytona and way more useful (in the PNW) than the naked Street Triple.

You've got a GSX 650F rider here in New England that will be looking for a replacement in 18 months. A "mini Sprint" developed out of the Daytona would suit me just fine.
Jim K. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 11:44 PM   #6
FlyingFinn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,121
No they won't becuse ST bikes don't sell (nowadays).
Old 04-23-2015, 05:46 AM   #7
BSUCardinalfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 199
they already make a bike with the 675 engine that works as a sport tourer

Old 04-23-2015, 05:50 AM   #8
texag10
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
I did 1100 miles on my street triple over 3 days recently. A bit of a screen to kill windblast at speeds over 80 and some bags and it would've been great. I was fine as is, just had to use a backpack in addition to my tailbag.

Plenty of smooth torque to navigate parking lots and city streets, plenty of power for passing and fun. If you want a touring 675, build one, cause triumph will never do it.
texag10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:56 AM   #9
BSUCardinalfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Givi sells a really reasonable rack, and even some semi-hard bags that attach to it. I just use a set of saddlebags from nelson rigg and a tail bag, or in the case of the picture above, bungie down some other gear on the back seat. I've done 750 mile days with it loaded like this and it does really well.

I just got a hyperstrada and honestly I think the windscreen just adds buffetting, doesn't really make the high speed enjoyment any better to me.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:17 PM   #10
Gryphon12
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
Do the racks work on all of the Street Triples? I was under the impression that the newer versions eliminated rack mounting points. A larger fuel tank and a different saddle would be welcome, too.

Regardless, the major problem is the lack of a full sport-touring fairing. I know all of the arguments pro & con. I ride in the PNW and Canada. Even when I lived in the NE, MY requirements include a full fairing - see Ducati ST3/4s, Honda VFR800 & CBR1100XX, Triumph Sprint ST/GT, and even the supersports tourers ZX14/14R and GSXR1300R.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it's the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead
Gryphon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 03:21 PM   #11
Grainbelt
marginal adventurer

Oddometer: 27,070
Yamaha is no different. I bitched at the dealer about the fact that the FJ-09 is a faux ADV bike with four foot wide tiller bars and he looked at me all

My FZ6 is going to have to keep going for another 50k miles. Shouldn't be a problem.
Grainbelt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:07 PM   #12
Dave W.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSUCardinalfan View Post
they already make a bike with the 675 engine that works as a sport tourer

I dig it!
Dave W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:37 PM   #13
Volfy
ADV Free

Oddometer: 215
I think a 675 sport tourer would be great. If riders can tour on bikes like the Wee Strom 650cc twin, I don't see why a 675cc triple wouldn't work as well. Problem is, sport tourers are not where the market is at right now. Adv tourers are all the rage. As small as the entire ST pie is, middleweight STs are just an even tinier splice. It's the cold hard reality of the marketplace. It's bad enough that larger sport tourers like Sprint ST/GT, VFR1200, K1300S, etc. are getting killed off, smallish ST stand no chance. Can you name another purposely-built ST that is less than 800cc? Yes, you can kit up FZ6, Ninja 650, CB650F, etc. with aftermarket panniers, top case, and taller screen, but that, unfortunately, will continue to be the only way you are going to get a 600-ish ST.

Just be glad we still have Ninja 1000 and VFR800 to kick around... for now.
Volfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:01 PM   #14
BSUCardinalfan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryphon12 View Post
Do the racks work on all of the Street Triples? I was under the impression that the newer versions eliminated rack mounting points. A larger fuel tank and a different saddle would be welcome, too.

not sure if there is a rack for the new bikes, but soft bags will work on those as is because of the low exhaust. the bike will go 200 miles on the highway loaded like you saw in the picture. That's about 3 hours almost anywhere.....not pictured there is my airhawk - that particular day I was test packing the bike before my trip. I like the airhawk because it helps on long boring rides but comes off quickly once you get unpacked and are on the twisty roads.

I guess the windshield discussion must be one of those deals where everyone is different. I'm actively trying to find the parts to replace the windshield bracket on my hyperstrada so I can remove the thing.

I do see your point though. I test rode the bmw f800r and f800gt. I liked the GT a bit better, but didn't like that engine at all.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:08 AM   #15
TBickell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Agree to all of the above !!

So I guess I will keep my Sprint GT. It is a bit heavy and one has to be careful in tight parking lots but it is a true sport tourer and that motor is well... you know.
Lets's face it... even as a liter bike the Sprint ST/GT was a failure here. I stole mine two years ago..

I also have an FJR which is even heavier and it's a toss up as to if it's worth keeping both but they are different enough and I for one like the riding position and stability of a heavier sport touring bike than the the "sit up and beg" ADV bikes for long street rides.
TBickell is offline   Reply With Quote