Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #646
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,984
I've got an '03 RR which to my knowledge is the same as the '02. Its been to Mexico twice and a bunch of other places. Its never given me any trouble. They are great bikes.
Old 05-02-2013, 10:20 AM   #647
abnslr
rides a motorcycle

Oddometer: 221
Thanks

I'm not going to have a chance to check it out in person for a couple of days, but if I like it as much as I expect to this isn't going to require much thought.
abnslr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #648
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,411
Go for a test drive, take your check book!

Sent from the phone in my shoe. Maxwell Smart.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:00 PM   #649
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,085
[QUOTE=sc00tertrash;21316412... some people have had some minor issues with surging at lower rpms, ...[/QUOTE]

...regular oilhead stuff, can be pretty much corrected with a fuel nanny or fuel plug.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:09 AM   #650
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Any other owners with a 2013 R1200R not have a fuel gauge? My 90th anniversery model with the onboard computer option apparently does not. It also does not appear to calcualte the miles to emtpy while on reserve. Instead, it counts up (miles rode) once the reserve is hit, and the mileage count drops from the display if the bike is shut down before refueling. So I need to monitor the trip meter to figure out how close I am to empty. The only thing the onboard computer appears to do is calculate average speed and average gas consumption.
RedFrogTango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 11:59 AM   #651
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedFrogTango View Post
Any other owners with a 2013 R1200R not have a fuel gauge? My 90th anniversery model with the onboard computer option apparently does not. It also does not appear to calcualte the miles to emtpy while on reserve. Instead, it counts up (miles rode) once the reserve is hit, and the mileage count drops from the display if the bike is shut down before refueling. So I need to monitor the trip meter to figure out how close I am to empty. The only thing the onboard computer appears to do is calculate average speed and average gas consumption.
I have a 2011, but I didn't think the display or computer changed for 2013... The behavior of the display when you hit reserve sounds normal to me though. The left side of the display doesn't have a bar graph showing the amount of fuel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Owner's Manual p. 24
After the fuel warning lamp is switched on, the distance driven since this point in time is indicated.
The distance, which can still be driven with the reserve quantity, depends on the driving style (on the consumption) and on the fuel level when the warning lamp was initially activated (see the explanation above).
The odometer for the fuel reserve is reset if the fuel level after refueling is greater than the reserve quantity.

If you turn off the bike and park it on the side-stand, and then start it on the side stand, because of the placement of the fuel strip in the tank the bike might think you have more than reserve again and reset to the normal display.

Keep in mind that the fuel strip used to measure how much fuel is in the tank is notoriously failure-prone on all BMWs that use it. If it's not reporting the amount of fuel in your tank correctly, see your dealer for a warranty replacement. It's a resistive strip that uses a heating element inside it and measures how much of the strip warms up, since anything surrounded by gas is kept cool. It warms every minute or so while the bike runs, so it takes a couple to a few minutes of running after filling up before the gauge is accurate.

Hope that helps.

-Alec

AlecMyrddyn screwed with this post 05-03-2013 at 12:04 PM
AlecMyrddyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 03:52 PM   #652
David R

Fuel level system is disabled when the side stand is down.

Sent from the phone in my shoe. Maxwell Smart.
Old 05-04-2013, 03:19 PM   #653
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Does your '13 have an instantaneous MPG readout? I just bought an '11 and I'm missing the instant MPG that everyone else seems to have. Strange...
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:34 PM   #654
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
Does your '13 have an instantaneous MPG readout? I just bought an '11 and I'm missing the instant MPG that everyone else seems to have. Strange...
I have an '11 and I don't have an instantaneous MPG either. The Info button cycles between average speed, average MPG, miles to empty, and air temperature. If you hold down the info button while displaying the average MPG, it will reset and restart the average calculation. You can then get an idea of your short term average...

I reset my trip meter and average MPG every fill-up.
Old 05-04-2013, 06:45 PM   #655
David R

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlecMyrddyn View Post
Snip

Yes it reads out instantaneous MPG.

+1 the computer is dead on for the tank full MPG.

David
Old 05-06-2013, 02:47 AM   #656
Derbobs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
finally, summer has arrived. :)

Derbobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 10:12 AM   #657
sc00tertrash
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derbobs View Post
finally, summer has arrived. :)

Very nice. I like that color.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #658
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I have a 2011, but I didn't think the display or computer changed for 2013... The behavior of the display when you hit reserve sounds normal to me though. The left side of the display doesn't have a bar graph showing the amount of fuel?

If you turn off the bike and park it on the side-stand, and then start it on the side stand, because of the placement of the fuel strip in the tank the bike might think you have more than reserve again and reset to the normal display.

Keep in mind that the fuel strip used to measure how much fuel is in the tank is notoriously failure-prone on all BMWs that use it. If it's not reporting the amount of fuel in your tank correctly, see your dealer for a warranty replacement. It's a resistive strip that uses a heating element inside it and measures how much of the strip warms up, since anything surrounded by gas is kept cool. It warms every minute or so while the bike runs, so it takes a couple to a few minutes of running after filling up before the gauge is accurate.

Hope that helps.

-Alec
Thanks. I do not have any bars on the left-hand side (or anywhere for that matter) on my display indicating the amount of fuel in the tank.

I came across a reference to the new water-cooled R1200GS as not having the fuel strip, but instead having a float to indicate when the reserve is met. If this is true, then the same change may have been made to the latest R1200R.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #659
RedFrogTango
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I have an '11 and I don't have an instantaneous MPG either. The Info button cycles between average speed, average MPG, miles to empty, and air temperature. If you hold down the info button while displaying the average MPG, it will reset and restart the average calculation. You can then get an idea of your short term average...

It does not.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #660
AlecMyrddyn
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks. I do not have any bars on the left-hand side (or anywhere for that matter) on my display indicating the amount of fuel in the tank.

I came across a reference to the new water-cooled R1200GS as not having the fuel strip, but instead having a float to indicate when the reserve is met. If this is true, then the same change may have been made to the latest R1200R.

The Model 0490 Rider's Manual for the 2013 MY from bmwmotorcycles.com (Click on Service & Maintenance, then Rider's Manual, then select the correct year) does show on page 20 and 21 that there's a "Current Fuel Consumption" option. But then again, so does the manual for my 2011, and I can't cycle to that option with my info button... Nice job BMW!

What I do find really odd is that for the 2011, there is a fuel level display to the left of the gear indicator, and an engine heat indicator to the right of the gear indicator. These are shown in the manual. They are not shown in the manual for the 2013!

The 2013 also doesn't show a "Range in Miles" (until Empty) option that shows up in the 2011 manual.

Maybe they did get rid of the fuel strip for the 2013 models and now only show when reserve is reached. Sad that you lost the display for that and engine heat, as well as miles to empty...