Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2013, 02:23 PM   #766
MarcJ
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
Rizoma. The bar is also Rizoma, 4 cm shorter than the standard one, so no difference in overall width.
There's an adaptor for the BMW bar, but this will give you somme more width.

MarcJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:47 PM   #767
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,382

Camping in Michigan

4 days so far, 1200 miles and I am not out of money yet. Ohio next.

Sent from the phone in my shoe. Maxwell Smart.

David R screwed with this post 06-17-2013 at 03:59 PM
David R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:30 AM   #768
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Oddometer: 379
Page 4!

Wow, I had to dig down to page 4 in Road Warriors to find you guys. You must ride a lot (that is ride as opposed to type)

Update on the 12,000 mile valve check for those that are interested and those that assisted me. Unlike many that I have heard from two of my valves were out of spec so I reshimmed them.

I had to order two shims and they arrived Tuesday. It took a lot longer for them to arrive than I liked as the Max BMW site did not appear to warn me before placing the order that they had to order them themselves and that would double the time involved. Some might button up the bike, ride, and take apart again when the shims came in, but for me I just left it unassembled.

Anyway, my two lower exhaust shims needed to be increased in size (gap was too large). Once I put them in and put it back together I test rode it and it is a little quieter (at idle I hear the exhaust and not the engine). But, the bike is very smooth. May have been before too, but I am still new to this bike and may have forgotten

Easy job to do yourself. Cost for parts $25 (shipping was $11 for two little pieces of metal!). Total cost for 12,000 mile service is about $40. It would be about $100 had I needed to replace the spark plugs. It would be many hundreds if I took it to the dealer.

What are some of you experiencing in terms of cost for service? 12,000 miles or other?
Old 06-27-2013, 06:04 AM   #769
David R
I been called a Nut Job..

Oddometer: 2,382
Reading on another website.

Changing the final drive oil can only be done by removing the rear wheel on my 12.

I read an idea about filling thorugh the vent. Tried it yesterday it works.

I used a well fitting hose in the hole the vent was in.

BE CAREFUL NOT TO GET OIL ON THE BRAKES.

My trip I posted above ended up 2,000 miles, 5 nights in the tent, one in a hotel. The R1200R was perfect for all the riding I did. Slab, upper Michigan, back roads in PA, OH and NY.

David
Old 06-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #770
Weird Bug
Weird BUG

Oddometer: 379
We didn't hear back from you after your previous post so figured you were having a great ride!

I'll be doing the same thing (almost) in two weeks! Leaving FLA on the 12th and will be in MI on the 15th. Camping (hammock) along the way when not staying with family and friends. Return after MI, WI, MI, CAN, NY, Skyline Drive, BRP, etc. etc. and back to FLA.
Old 06-28-2013, 07:44 AM   #771
El Paso
It's a dry heat

Oddometer: 18
low 2012 or std 2013

About ready to pull the trigger and replace my 2000 GS with an R1200R. I've found two possibilities and could use some input to help make the decision. The 2012 only has 2000 miles on it, but has a low suspension with low seat... too low for my taste, (but then I'm coming off a GS... everything seems low!). The dealer says he'd put on a high seat which would bring it up to almost std. I'm about 6' with a 33" inseam.
First, anybody out there about my size with a Low Suspension unit that has some feedback?
Second, Any significant differences between the 2012 and 2013 that would warrant the extra $3000?
El Paso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:53 AM   #772
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paso View Post
About ready to pull the trigger and replace my 2000 GS with an R1200R. I've found two possibilities and could use some input to help make the decision. The 2012 only has 2000 miles on it, but has a low suspension with low seat... too low for my taste, (but then I'm coming off a GS... everything seems low!). The dealer says he'd put on a high seat which would bring it up to almost std. I'm about 6' with a 33" inseam.
First, anybody out there about my size with a Low Suspension unit that has some feedback?
Second, Any significant differences between the 2012 and 2013 that would warrant the extra $3000?
Stay away from the 'low'. You're too tall a person. The lowered suspension will only sacrifice the ride and handling. Anyone who tells you otherwise is simply trying to sell you something.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:56 AM   #773
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,046
Shortcomings in the suspension are a big deal when it comes to choosing a bike, especially if you are buying new. The seat won't make up for the disadvantage of a low suspension with less travel, and if you decide to spend ~$2,000 to set up the suspension as it should be, then you're stuck with the wrong stands.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #774
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Is there a sure way to identify a 1200R with low suspension? I thought my bike had the low suspension because of the front spring length, but several others have the same spring and claim it's standard suspension and that the front shock is flipped over on some bikes.
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:05 AM   #775
bESS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
That's a nice concept. Although the price for the "three case carrier" seems to be $319 if I interpret this right (bike is already on the way, arriving this week in the warehouse, therefore it's not a "built to order"):

#11 seems to be the full top case carrier. We could add a top case later. I know that cases can be keyed/re-keyed to the bike, have done it on cases for the GS Adventure. We get the side cases for free with the current BMW special offer for the R, which is super nice.

I'm kind of okay paying over $300 for the carrier to keep the look right and have a luggage platform for a bag, top case, etc., but I'm not certain I want to add another $500 for the top case itself.

It's my wife's bike, so she will decide, but for her, the main requirement is "something safe and secure for the camera". So luggage carrier + Pelican might actually be not on a middle ground in price, but also the best end result for what she wants to achieve.

G...

this is the same rack that I bought for my "R" as my Nu2me only came with the sidecase rack and I wanted a top case. Price in Canada with Tax was just over Cdn$400. and I bought a Givi Blade 47L.

I didn't want my cases keyed to the same key. This way I have some secure place to leave personal stuff without the dealer having access to it. Plus I don't have to turn off my ignition to unlock it if I stop for a quick photo.

bob

current RR --> click here
bESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 10:24 AM   #776
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 8,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Paso View Post

I'd say no, not worth it. Buy the low mileage used one.
Spend the extra cash on some nice Ohlins or Wilbers shocks to suit you.
I'm 6' 32" inseam, stock height suspension replaced with Ohlins and a Sargent standard height seat and I have plenty of foot on the ground even with the occasional Airhawk 2 usage.

I found my Ohlins like new but used for $1000. There are deals out there...

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:38 AM   #777
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,680
Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
this is the same rack that I bought for my "R" as my Nu2me only came with the sidecase rack and I wanted a top case. Price in Canada with Tax was just over Cdn$400. and I bought a Givi Blade 47L.
We are thinking of getting this rack and another Givi top case, this time a smaller one. The nice benefit is that we can swap cases around between the bikes then. I already have a V46 and will then likely either get a B33. Normally we need only one top case anyways and prefer to ride without panniers most of the time.

With the V46 I always feel like I'm followed by a small planet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bESS View Post
Plus I don't have to turn off my ignition to unlock it if I stop for a quick photo.
We mostly have the cameras in tank bags, so that's normally not an issue.

I also really recommend to turn of the boxer bikes when putting it on the side as even a very slight downhill slope together with the vibration easily rolled my GS over the side stand. I don't know how that is for the R, but I'd be careful. It was the one reason why I dropped my Tiger on my last trip: downhill slope, side stand, engine off but not in gear. It just rolled over the side stand and I couldn't hold it.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:03 AM   #778
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post

I also really recommend to turn of the boxer bikes when putting it on the side as even a very slight downhill slope together with the vibration easily rolled my GS over the side stand. I don't know how that is for the R
I second that. It took 2 times for me to learn this lesson
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:29 AM   #779
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,680
I hope it took me two times.

Done it once on the GS and once on the Tiger so far. The Tiger was more stupid though. Downhill slope, turn off bike, put down side stand (in neutral), it just rolled over it while I was sitting on the bike. No way of holding it once it was out of balance.
cug is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 08:06 AM   #780
beemerjim
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
BMW side stands have never been anything to write home about. You'd think after all the years of engineering great motorcycles they'd figure out side stands and seats. not
Harley's on the other hand, have great sidestands-the rest of the bike-meh

JIm

It's all about attitude & timing.

I'm not sure where we're going, but this road seems to be paved with good intentions.
beemerjim is offline   Reply With Quote