Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 09:16 AM   #76
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostViking View Post
Ohlins, should do the trick for you with regard to suspension.
I bet it would ;) But if money was unlimited I wouldn't have even asked the question. If I'm spending $15K on a new bike I will not be upgrading stock parts for quite some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David R
I can drag the left peg on my RT. I cannot drag any peg on this bike. The back tire is huge and to get to the edge takes some really sharp curves or a bigger set of balls than I have. I think for on the street you will not find its limits.

I feel the rear spring needs to be stiffer. I weigh 200 lbs. I will probably have the rear spring replaced this winter. I think the front spring and both shocks are fine.

Mention shocks on a BMW board and you will be told they last 30,000 then you need Ohlins. I disagree. My RT still has original shocks. Front spring was replaced. Rear is showing signs of wearing out. Ohlins are not the only shock.

On the R1200R No adjustments in the front, rear is adjustable for preload and rebound. I find the ride to be excellent for me or two up. I do not like my bike beating the crap out of me.
Thanks for the info. Tire size is the same as on my CBR600 and I had no problems getting on the edges on the street. I understand this is no supersport though.
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:25 AM   #77
Patch
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 666
Been loving mine... for both everyday and for longer trips. It suits my riding style and fits me well, and haven't yet felt a need to replace the shocks. Sure, new anything would be great but dialing up the right adjustments is pretty easy after unpacking at the campsite.

West Quaddy Lighthouse in ME

Kinzua Point, PA

and no worries on unimproved roads ... the R handles them very well
Patch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:46 AM   #78
SQ Beemer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 299
I love these bikes. This is my favorite bike to ride on the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBlazerIrregular View Post
PHP Code:
It's a really nice bike, but a bit bigger than what I want for everyday riding. 
Agreed. I ride my bike to work, but if I'm "Having Fun" in the CITY (you're from Nor-cal, so you know which city I refer to), it's all about a smaller bike, in my case (as you can see under my signature, more cc's, but SO much smaller!) However, for YEARS it was always the Rockster, and no lie, they do GREAT jumping up/down curbs and hitting ALL the massive potholes in the streets.
I agree. It's great in LA as there is plenty of space to get around. The City requires a scooter in my opinion.

Wife and I running errands in and around LA:

SQ Beemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:51 AM   #79
LostViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
I bet it would ;) But if money was unlimited I wouldn't have even asked the question. If I'm spending $15K on a new bike I will not be upgrading stock parts for quite some time.

Thanks for the info. Tire size is the same as on my CBR600 and I had no problems getting on the edges on the street. I understand this is no supersport though.

OK then, let's try this again,

This bike is not now, and never will be a CBR 600. Trying to make it into one, or expecting it to behave like one, will end in dissapointment.

However it can be ridden in a spirited maner. I don't see the tractor analogy as such as bad thing. It does have stump pulling torque. It will never rev like a CBR. But it doesn't need to.

I found the stock suspension more than up to the task. For my purposes. Empty with no bags, two up, or loaded to the gils with traveling and camping gear on a twelve thousand mile trip. No Ohlins, I weigh 230, so you should be fine, you are much closer, spec wise to the teutonic ideal rider size.

Have you ridden this bike yet?
Most dealers will allow test rides. That will satisfy your curiosity faster than thirty pages of internet dribble.

It is what it is, a very capable, versatile, comfortable, beautiful, motorcycle.

It is not a GS, nor a Goldwing, or a Sport Bike. What it is, is a very nice standard bike that is able to dip it's feet into territories reserved for the aforementioned bikes, and do so quite well.

And it looks good doing it, even dirty,

Hope that hepls.

LostViking screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 10:01 AM
LostViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:07 AM   #80
jings
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 267
jings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 11:11 AM   #81
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
Thanks to those who have answered a couple of my questions already, but I have a few more about the R1200R!

Suspension, I'd love to be able to stiffen it for faster canyon riding or loaded 2-up trips. I am extremely unfamiliar with BMW's telelever, so what tuning options do you have with the front? How about the rear? Would the bike feel undersprung for a 185 lb me?

Speaking of fast canyon riding, what is the first hard part to drag on the 1200R? Can they be leaned over pretty aggressively? Those cylinders are so...far out.

What servicing would I have to involve the dealer for? ie, special tools required or computer codes that need to be reset.

Thanks!
I dragged a cylinder head on mine once; the footpeg feeler might have touched, but I was too freaked to notice. That event occured when I was going around a slow hairpin and was counter-balancing through the turn (dirtbike style). On "normal" turns I never dragged the heads, but I know people that have.

The stock rear shock has a preload knob, so it's a simple click or two to adapt for pillion or baggage. You can get the rear really stiff if you need to. The Wilbers shocks are a popular option, but I wouldn't spend that kinda money. To each his own...I had a GS once that came with Ohlins, and the original shocks in a box. I put the stockers on; it rode just fine for me so I sold the Ohlins and bought some other stuff for the bike.

Oil changes and valve adjustments are most of your service needs. 45 minutes sitting on a stool in your garage...

You can buy the diagnostic reader for less than the cost of one dealer visit.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace[/SIZE]
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #82
dmcd
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninepeaks9 View Post
dmcd, I didn't know you guys had autobahn in n. ireland.
We don't, but the Isle Of Man is only a short ferry ride away, those videos are on the TT circuit ;-)
dmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #83
BigEasy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowbear2 View Post
look up lost rider here on adv . look for the pictures of him riding
deals gap . you'll see ground clearance is not much of a problem .
There are some pics of him dragging both pegs, and he has made reference to touching a jug down on occasion. I personally have never had these issues but I'm old and I was slow even when I was young

"Play hard and FLOOR IT" Stevie Ray Vaughan

just remember: the only difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits
BigEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:36 PM   #84
tiggerman
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I thought I would join the club new Adventure member here and my first post
tiggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #85
tiggerman
n00b

oops ..I ride a 2004 r1150 r and for me it's perfect. I love the style, the torque, the ease of maintenance and the price I paid... for how long this bike could potentily last it's great,,yes it could be a little more spirited but thats what I have dirt bikes for, when I have the need for speed or quickness I go ride in the dirt.

This is my second posting here and I screwd up the first one now I'm trying to put an imge on here and all I see is red X so here goes
Old 12-03-2012, 04:19 PM   #86
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,798
I've got a '03 R1150R that I've ridden through Mexico twice and a bunch of other places. I just got back from a 2000 mile trip down to Key West and back. Its been a great bike and I can see no reason to replace it.
Old 12-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #87
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloADV View Post
Oil changes and valve adjustments are most of your service needs. 45 minutes sitting on a stool in your garage...

You can buy the diagnostic reader for less than the cost of one dealer visit.
It seems to be popular opinion that BMW's hold a high cost of ownership. Are these folks that prefer not to take the 45 minutes and do their own wrenching? Or perhaps it's replacement parts that cost money? If routine maintenance on the 1200 boxer can be done with basic tools in my own garage I'm failing to see where the high cost of ownership is.
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:34 PM   #88
tiggerman
n00b

http://tiggermans.smugmug.com/Motorc...DSCN2381-M.jpg
http://tiggermans.smugmug.com/Motorc...DSCN2382-M.jpg

so lets see if this works now i need to figure out how to get pics to show and not just links
Old 12-03-2012, 04:51 PM   #89
LostViking
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 913
Since you already have a Smugmeg account, you're almost home"

Click share in the uper right hand menu
Then click get a link,
Then click embedable links bar
Use the forum links on the lower section
Then click copy and then paste directly into your thread

You're home free!

Nice bike, i like that color.

LostViking screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 04:57 PM
LostViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #90
clevishook
stevedore

Oddometer: 1,515
Bought my "04 R1150R on a fly and ride through Ebay. Bike was in Tennessee and I rode it back to south Florida. It has also done the Blue Ridge Parkway and Deals Gap. Handled great even with loaded bags. Deals Gap taught me how capable the bike is and greatly reduced the chicken strips.I have an MRA wind screen with an adjustable lamar lip (great screen) purchased from Twisted Throttle. I tried the touring screen and the sport screen but this is better. When my money is right I'll buy an R1200R next. As a comparison I also had two R1100RS's and a couple of airheads. I like the plain R the best.
clevishook is offline   Reply With Quote