Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Sharan OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Army evaluates use of motorcycles

Here:

http://www.army.mil/article/91807/1_...ring_NIE_13_1/

Which bikes are these, anyone? Would be interesting to know what Infantry picked up as a war horse.

Judging by headlights it is not Yamaha WRR or Suzuki DRZ. If these bikes are 250cc it could be Kawasaki KLX or new CRF Honda.

Or perhaps these bikes are bigger displacement Enduros? The front fender and headlight combo looks like Husky.

One would think that reliability and easy maintenance would be very high on Army requirements for combat bike.
Old 11-28-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,501
definitely not a Husky, maybe a KLX or Honda

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #3
RebelYell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
The headlight looks like a klx 250S.THe military has used klr 650s and klr 250s in the past.
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #4
Blakduk
Just trying to get by.

Oddometer: 1,205
Well here goes.

I'm curious abou this army/bike thing. The trouble with dirt bikes is that you can't just send a fit young guy on a 2 week, or 4 week, or even a 6 week course and expect him to come out a reliable rider in all conditions.

Sure, he'll be able to ride, maybe even fast. He might know all the technique perfectly. But I think you would have to agree that it takes years of riding, crashing, seeing different terrain and situations before a person can ride regularly fast in off road (I mean not formed track) and not crash.

Maybe that is not what the army needs, so I'm wrong.

But I've seen trailbikes in other organisations, and only the blokes who have ridden for decades and done the time and had the stacks can ride at work for any period (especially UNDER PRESSURE); without ending up with an injury (and off on compo).

....maybe this is an argument that will receive the backing of the DBW set (and the silent ADV lurkers that don't contribute to the bulls**t); but receive the admonition of the 'hardcore (sic) ADVriders' on here that keep thinking that riding along a dirt road all day with a couple of creek crossings makes them a great rider.

(Disclaimer: Not that you need to be a great, or even a good rider to have fun and an adventure.
Disclaimer2: I'm not a great rider, but I prefer hardcore off road to road. Hence no more 990, happy on FE450.
Disclaimer3: I freely admit I know little about the army & what they need)

Let the begin......
Old 11-28-2012, 03:28 PM   #5
Afry
Why hike?

Oddometer: 533
Interesting - I thought I read the Marine Corps just decided to discontinue the motorcycle program because of the need for armored protection.

Get on with riding or get on with dying - one or the other
Afry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
AustinJake
TE450-KLE-FXDWG

Oddometer: 3,655
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakduk View Post
.....receive the admonition of the 'hardcore (sic) ADVriders' on here that keep thinking that riding along a dirt road all day with a couple of creek crossings makes them a great rider.
That's some funny shit there....describes a large number here....
Old 11-28-2012, 03:41 PM   #7
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakduk View Post
Well here goes.

I'm curious abou this army/bike thing. The trouble with dirt bikes is that you can't just send a fit young guy on a 2 week, or 4 week, or even a 6 week course and expect him to come out a reliable rider in all conditions.

Sure, he'll be able to ride, maybe even fast. He might know all the technique perfectly. But I think you would have to agree that it takes years of riding, crashing, seeing different terrain and situations before a person can ride regularly fast in off road (I mean not formed track) and not crash.

Maybe that is not what the army needs, so I'm wrong.

But I've seen trailbikes in other organisations, and only the blokes who have ridden for decades and done the time and had the stacks can ride at work for any period (especially UNDER PRESSURE); without ending up with an injury (and off on compo).

....maybe this is an argument that will receive the backing of the DBW set (and the silent ADV lurkers that don't contribute to the bulls**t); but receive the admonition of the 'hardcore (sic) ADVriders' on here that keep thinking that riding along a dirt road all day with a couple of creek crossings makes them a great rider.

(Disclaimer: Not that you need to be a great, or even a good rider to have fun and an adventure.
Disclaimer2: I'm not a great rider, but I prefer hardcore off road to road. Hence no more 990, happy on FE450.
Disclaimer3: I freely admit I know little about the army & what they need)

Let the begin......
You're right, but:

1) It may be battalions of volunteers riding, rather than entire regiments, so they may select for previous 2-wheeled experience, and

2) Many things in a soldier's line of work are both new and dangerous, and training time is insufficient to learn all there is to know; OJT is the way it is.

If the program goes forward, it will be interesting to see which bike, and whether military requirements produce innovations that we civilians can use.
Old 11-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #8
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
I think if the army can train soldiers to drive tanks and fly helicopters, a dirt bike shouldn't be a stretch.

Just saying...
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:05 PM   #9
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,094
They are not teaching to be racers.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
Murphy Slaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,344
It's a shame it couldn't be a domestic bike. Ya never know who you're going to end up fighting. Same goes for gloves, boots, knives, and so on.
Murphy Slaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
Carter Pewterschmidt
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
They are not teaching to be racers.
That too. It's not like the guys driving Humvees are off road racers. The bike is just another way to get around. If they want to try and ride them around all fast they can, but every time they wreck or get hurt they're going to get an ear full to say the least.
Carter Pewterschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
espacef1fan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
That too. It's not like the guys driving Humvees are off road racers. The bike is just another way to get around. If they want to try and ride them around all fast they can, but every time they wreck or get hurt they're going to get an ear full to say the least.
This.

Basically they want to use the bikes as lightweight mules that can cover larger distances..on some of the MANY mountain PATHS that people walk on with animals. They arent hunting IEDs with these..or jumping ridgeline to ridgeline wit these things...the spec ops guys arent even doing this. Also you can use the bieks to reposition quickly....turns out..they are easy to hide as well...
espacef1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:56 PM   #13
rpet
Awesometown

Oddometer: 809
I'm not at all in the know, but I thought the US military wasn't allowed to source any non-US equipment. They could be testing on WRs and end up commissioning something from HD, for instance.

Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berry_Amendment

Discouraged, but not necessarily banned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
It's a shame it couldn't be a domestic bike. Ya never know who you're going to end up fighting. Same goes for gloves, boots, knives, and so on.
Read my homie's underway Africa trip RR - Round Africa with a Surboard
WTB: Clarke tank for DR650 for cheap - any color but blue.
rpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #14
Sharan OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter Pewterschmidt View Post
I think if the army can train soldiers to drive tanks and fly helicopters, a dirt bike shouldn't be a stretch.

Just saying...
^ This. Also while recruiting or transferring soldiers to such a units the prior riding experience could be a desirable skill for these positions.

Although I would like to believe that them bikes in the pic are indeed KLX250S's, the front fender is wrong shape.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:03 PM   #15
intheways
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharan View Post
^ This. Also while recruiting or transferring soldiers to such a units the prior riding experience could be a desirable skill for these positions.

Although I would like to believe that them bikes in the pic are indeed KLX250S's, the front fender is wrong shape.
+1. They do look like KLX250s. Maybe they'll build some in the old US of A if the Army decides to go with them

intheways is offline   Reply With Quote