User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
propilot10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Stock battery life

I know the subject has been discussed at great length but I have to ask again. Did the search and can't find what I'm looking for.

I have 2012 adventure with 4700 miles got it in may. The battery started giving me trouble two months ago. It had sat 3-4 weeks and when I went to start it it was too weak. So I charged it and went on a long ride over 1000 miles with a buddy worked fine. Now if it sits any more than five days it's too weak. This is after a fairly long ride before putting it in the garage. Like an hour or so. My question is should I expect this to be warranted? I called the dealer whom I know well and got a bit of a run around. At one point he said that it should be on a tender which I agree but it's only sitting 5-7 days in California so it's not freezing cold. He then went on to say that even two days and they can be dead. I think this is very unreasonable. Two days? Really? It sat up to two weeks no problem at all until now. I know the value of putting a better battery yada yada. But I feel it's so new I shouldn't have to pay for a replacement. A year sure. But 7 months?? Anyone have a similar and get it replaced under warranty?
propilot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #2
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,545
My 2010 990R battery crapped out at 2.5 years. It was an Western power sports AGM which what was not what I expected.

KTM 990R 500EXC
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 04:44 PM   #3
PABiker
Anywhere but here

Oddometer: 3,747
My original Yuasa made it over 6 years, I just replaced it 2 months ago.
PABiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #4
Martynho
ChileGringo

Oddometer: 402
1 months

On 2 990`s over the last 3 years and 90,000 miles I have averaged about 18 months out of the yuasas. Once tried a half price chinese YTZ14, not a good deal it only lasted 6 months
Martynho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:18 PM   #5
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,004
My OEM Yuasa shorted a cell at about 2 months. My OEM Yuasa on my 450 EXC shorted a cell at about 6 months. When a cell shorts it basically means, no workie, at all. Because of this series of strange and unfortunate events, I never bought another Yuasa again. Could be some kind of weird quantum flux in my brain that caused these failures, and many of my friends like Martyn would probably concur, but it is what it is. I am not a fan of Yuasa after this. YMMV.

I bought a Power Source brand AGM for $79 USD (cheep Chinee battree) and it worked well for over 3 years. The only reason I replaced it (with another Power Source brand cheep Chinee battree) was because I was paranoid about cheep Chinee battrees. But I have run this new cheep Chinee batriee for over two year, not on a tender, and being ridden only once every couple of months and its still good to go. So, for me, 2 thumbs up for cheep Chinee batriees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martynho View Post
On 2 990`s over the last 3 years and 90,000 miles I have averaged about 18 months out of the yuasas. Once tried a half price chinese YTZ14, not a good deal it only lasted 6 months
Holy crap mate you rode almost 100K miles in 3 years? Mate, no wonder you blew up your bikes.

Would love to come back down to the promised land and ride with you again, especially at over 100 mph on the Chilean carreteras.

crashmaster screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 06:56 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:19 PM   #6
CharlieFox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
I am still on the original battery of my 2008 990A. However, it is getting weak and will replace it this winter.
CharlieFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #7
AdvGa
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,320
Quote:
Originally Posted by propilot10 View Post
.... Now if it sits any more than five days it's too weak.

... My question is should I expect this to be warranted?
Did you add any extra Electrical Components? If so, you may have some Parasitic Drain.

If not, I'd push the Dealer for a Battery Exchange.

My '06 still has its original battery (still strong) and on a Tender when not on duty.
AdvGa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
David37
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 381
My original 950SE Yuasa lasted only 18 months and it was toast.
David37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #9
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by propilot10 View Post
I know the subject has been discussed at great length but I have to ask again. Did the search and can't find what I'm looking for.

I have 2012 adventure with 4700 miles got it in may. The battery started giving me trouble two months ago. It had sat 3-4 weeks and when I went to start it it was too weak. So I charged it and went on a long ride over 1000 miles with a buddy worked fine. Now if it sits any more than five days it's too weak. This is after a fairly long ride before putting it in the garage. Like an hour or so. My question is should I expect this to be warranted? I called the dealer whom I know well and got a bit of a run around. At one point he said that it should be on a tender which I agree but it's only sitting 5-7 days in California so it's not freezing cold. He then went on to say that even two days and they can be dead. I think this is very unreasonable. Two days? Really? It sat up to two weeks no problem at all until now. I know the value of putting a better battery yada yada. But I feel it's so new I shouldn't have to pay for a replacement. A year sure. But 7 months?? Anyone have a similar and get it replaced under warranty?
YTZ14S batteries are factory sealed and activated. No telling how long your battery sat before you purchased the bike. Look at the mfg date of your bike to determine how long the battery sat discharging. Dealers should charge all batteries the day they get their bikes. Batteries should be charged within 4 months of activation or they will not recover fully. At 9 months idle . . . The best you can get is 90% recovery . . . Depending on how hot the warehouse was during its life. Heat kills batteries. Your dealer should do a load test to determine if the battery is bad. I have ordered new YTZ14S batteries that were bad in the box . . . Must have sat in a hot warehouse too long. I prefer acid pack batteries that I can activate myself.

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:19 PM   #10
KTM Pilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 429
Original

2007 990 Adv original battery, still going strong, used a tender for the last 5 years. Did give me trouble one trip when it was below 0degrees C (freezing). Been fine since.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,068
My OEM battery on my 950 went 3 good years and one more poor year before it would not take a charge. But at least it gave me plenty of warning so I was ready for it. Dang, those things are expensive!
Pantah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 PM   #12
Helipilot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 191
Battery Life

My 2010 990A, which I bought new in May of this year, original battery lasted only from May to the end of July. My dealer replaced it under warranty with another Yausa. Do far so good, keep it on a tender when not riding it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I am just now starting to add farkles to this bike to match my riding needs.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
propilot10 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
I'm going down tomorrow to get it load tested. Is it unreasonable to expect it to be able to sit idle a week or two without being in a tender? I don't have any new electrical stuff. Bone stock. So parasitic draw shouldn't be a problem. Unless the bike has an issue. That's the second step if the battery is fine. I plan to get a tender and use it from now on. Just seems kinda lame to only get a few days before it goes dead. I'll check the date of manufacture to get an idea of the battery age. I was thinking that might be it. May have sat in a crate built for a year before I bought it.

Thanks for the feedback guys.
propilot10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #14
superhak31
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM Pilot View Post
2007 990 Adv original battery, still going strong, used a tender for the last 5 years. Did give me trouble one trip when it was below 0degrees C (freezing). Been fine since.
+1 on the battery tender
superhak31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:12 AM   #15
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,464
Yes a battery tender will preserve your battery. The OptiMate 3 can revive your battery (in my experience).

Also, a Fuse Block FZ-1 will help keep your battery from discharging while sitting (without a battery tender) . . . As long as you ride every couple of weeks . . . If your battery is not desulfated etc.

http://www.tecmate.com/u_optimate_3plus.php#img1

OptiMate 3+ desulfater-charger-maintainer is recommended for STD (with removable filler caps), sealed AGM (absorbed glass mat) & sealed GEL 12V lead-acid batteries from 2Ah to 45Ah, although it can also maintain larger batteries (it will just take longer to charge).

Why OptiMate 3+? Forgot to switch off the ignition / lights or did not hook up the battery to a maintainer during off-season and now the battery is ‘dead’? There is no need to rush out and buy a new battery as OptiMate 3+ has been proven to save neglected, deep discharged batteries other smart chargers can’t.

Think that batteries only last 2-3 years? OptiMate 3+ has been proven to extend battery life to 400%; batteries can last 8 years if maintained with OptiMate 3+. To make this work always hook up OptiMate 3+ to the battery when the vehicle is parked and OptiMate 3+ will safely maintain the battery at 100%, never overcharging, thanks to its unique 30 min charge, 30 min rest cycle during every hour of long term maintenance charge.

Includes 2 connection accessories : (see pictures to the right)
SAE-71 permanent ringlet connector with weatherproof cap & SAE-74 set of battery clips.

Fully automatic operation that includes all safety features such as reverse polarity protection, no spark connection : approved to UL & CSA safety standards for automatic battery chargers.
2 year limited warranty. Service centers in the USA & Canada

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"

mcmann screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 03:20 PM
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote