User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 06:20 PM   #1
RaystheBMW OP
1986 R65

Oddometer: 170
How to Mount GPS / Smart phone?

So I'm pretty excited about my first smart phone, to the point that I want to use it everywhere. I got the suction mounting kit and extended battery for my Razr M and thought maybe I'd try to stick it somewhere on the R65. The forward part of the gas tank is the only flat and smooth area that's handy, and it's been stuck solidly on there over night. Haven't driven with it yet though, since I'm getting a wheel fixed. I like the idea of not having a permanent fixture on there.

Has anyone successfully done this without losing their equipment on the road? How reliable is the suction cup? Should I just keep it in my pocket?

RaystheBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:43 PM   #2
robtg
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 634
Thumbs down

Keep it in your pocket. There are enough idiots with smart phones in vehicles to look out for.
robtg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:45 PM   #3
Bill Harris
Confirmed Curmudgeon

Oddometer: 7,314
Thumbs down

Yep.

--Bill
Old 11-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #4
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
Yeah, be careful. I lost my phone off the bike handlebars. A $700 mistake
Old 11-28-2012, 07:54 PM   #5
basketcase
lifelong reject fixer

Oddometer: 1,412
I would not trust that vaccum rig -- a friend I know tried that and ended up hunting his GPS in the weeds.

His new GPS is mounted securely to the handlebars with a RAM mount.

Re, the Smart Phone. I'll have to hunt up the pictures, but what I did was remove the belt clip off of an Otterbox Defender model, mount a RAM ball on it, and then mount that to the handlebars with a 3" RAM arm.

I use one of my daughter's umpteen-thousand stray pony tail holders for a safety tether.

So far, nary a problem.

Found 'em. Here's the photos.

basketcase screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 08:05 PM Reason: Added photos
basketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,393
Spend $25 and be safe and happy, for $30 you can even get a waterproof one.
http://www.provantage.com/arkon-reso...2~7ARKO04Q.htm

Google phone handlebar and pick one. I would never trust the suction stuff specially with the vibration of the engine.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:04 PM   #7
smorgasgeorge
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
RAM makes a sweet claw piece for holding pretty much any smartphone.
I connected it to my handlebars with a U bolt.
Though I was skeptical at first (and only used landscape orientation), I rode the TAT from TN to CO a few months ago without an issue (also used a lifeproof case).
I wiped out a few times pretty good on mud, ice and snow, and the phone never budged from the cradle.
It will fit your bike.
Highly recommended.

http://www.rammount.com/Products/Pho...Default.aspx#/
smorgasgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:54 PM   #8
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,095
Ram mounts rock. I also use a lanyard style lease on my gps as a back up its only been needed once but it worked when I crashed hard enough to for the ram mount to become unhooked.
Old 11-29-2012, 02:52 AM   #9
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
My ancient IPhone works very well as a GPS , you need to buy GPS software that stores the maps in the phones memory, I use co pilot live, works well in Europe and in South Africa.

I used a waterproof mount sourced from Ridermount in the UK and a RAM mount to mount it on the handlebars, you will also need a power source because using GPS will eat your phones batteries. I use earplugs with intregal speakers so on long trips have music and directions. All this works well, ire kno that the days of buying 500 Motorcyle GPS is over.
1971 Commando Fastback
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:12 AM   #10
Craneguy
British Hooligan

The HUGE drawback to cell phone GPS is the performance of the screen in direct sunlight. The S3 screen is excellent, but if I have to squint to see the map then it can become a dangerous distraction.

The voice directions with Sygic are good enough that I often leave my phone in the tank bag.

Edit: I just went out and put the phone and the GPS on the bike. Sun is coming over my right shoulder as I sit on the bike.

Craneguy screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 09:26 AM
Craneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:21 AM   #11
RaystheBMW OP
1986 R65

Oddometer: 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craneguy View Post
The HUGE drawback to cell phone GPS is the performance of the screen in direct sunlight. The S3 screen is excellent, but if I have to squint to see the map then it can become a dangerous distraction.

The voice directions with Sygic are good enough that I often leave my phone in the tank bag.
I'll have to check and see how the display looks out in the real world. The only thing I would use it for is the navigation and compass apps. Everyone is correct in pointing out that there's no need for even more distractions while riding / driving.
RaystheBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,754
Any feedback on how the iPhones do with the vibrations etc? I haven't tried mounting mine (I leave it in the tankbag) cuz I'm worried about the critter vibrating all day.....

PS... am playing with the thought of using my iPAD on the bike... how is that unit with vibrations? .... anybody doing it?
Old 11-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #13
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeckm View Post
Any feedback on how the iPhones do with the vibrations etc? I haven't tried mounting mine (I leave it in the tankbag) cuz I'm worried about the critter vibrating all day.....

PS... am playing with the thought of using my iPAD on the bike... how is that unit with vibrations? .... anybody doing it?
That's a good question. The electronics should be fine since they are solid-state, but antennas, batteries and the like could get affected over time.

Since mine is effectively loose in a bag, it's more wobble than vibrate, so I don't see it as any worse than being in a pocket.
Old 11-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #14
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaystheBMW View Post
So I'm pretty excited about my first smart phone, to the point that I want to use it everywhere. I got the suction mounting kit and extended battery for my Razr M and thought maybe I'd try to stick it somewhere on the R65. The forward part of the gas tank is the only flat and smooth area that's handy, and it's been stuck solidly on there over night. Haven't driven with it yet though, since I'm getting a wheel fixed. I like the idea of not having a permanent fixture on there.

Has anyone successfully done this without losing their equipment on the road? How reliable is the suction cup? Should I just keep it in my pocket?

If you still want to try this, ride around with the mount empty for a few days. When it falls off, you'll be happier about spending a few bucks on a handlebar mount!
Old 11-29-2012, 10:14 AM   #15
TINK
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 714
RAM is the way to go

+1 on the RAM mounts.

TINK
TINK is offline   Reply With Quote