User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 06:56 PM   #1
Kannonball8 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Driver tried to run me off the road today

On my way home from work today I attempted to pass a phone company truck on a rural road (double line). He made it clear that he wasn't going to allow that, by very nearly killing me. I had a straight section of road with ample space to do a safe pass, as I got even with his rear wheel he suddenly came over to the left to block me. I could clearly see his face in his mirror so there was no question that he knew I was there and that this was intentional. I have seen people drift over the line by mistake but this was a sudden and calculated move, not a mistake. I was able to brake fast enough to avoid an accident but the idea that this asshole decided that he wasn't going to be passed so it was ok to wreck me really pissed me off. We had about 5 miles of twisty rural road left to go before the next intersection so I just followed. He ran as fast as he could to be sure I wasn't going to get by him, however I wasn't about to try - was really just hoping to get to see him wreck (he didn't). He didn't stop at the intersection and I wasn't going to spend the rest of the afternoon chasing him down. When I got home I called the phone company and gave them the story as well as the tag number of the truck - they said his supervisor would be in touch. I don't know how far I want to take this or what the phone company does in this case, but this guy needs some sort of punishment - suppose it had been my wife, she may not have been able to brake quick enough.
I could take it to the police, but I would have to admit that I was attempting a double line pass - however even the police would agree a DL pass is no excuse to wreck somone.
What should I expect the phone co. to do? Anyone been in this situation?
Bruce
Ural Patrol-T
Triumph Tiger 800 & Ural Patrol-T (wife's)
Kannonball8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,313
I've gone down this road before (figuratively) with various companies and the city I live in.
What will happen is the manager will call and sound concerned. He will then express his
dismay and assure you that he will bring up the matter with the driver involved.

Will it happen? Who knows.
Will it make a difference? No, except that that particular driver might make sure it isn't you next time.

If you're really concerned, the cops are the only solution. Mentioning that the driver appeared to be
impaired or on the phone could help.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #3
RedShark
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,327
You tried to pass somebody with one of your Urals ?

Because if you couldn't get the drop on a service truck with the other bikes you need a refresher course in throttle application.
RedShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:18 PM   #4
Benesesso
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,898
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP640 View Post
I've gone down this road before (figuratively) with various companies and the city I live in.
What will happen is the manager will call and sound concerned. He will then express his
dismay and assure you that he will bring up the matter with the driver involved.

Will it happen? Who knows.
Will it make a difference? No, except that that particular driver might make sure it isn't you next time.

If you're really concerned, the cops are the only solution. Mentioning that the driver appeared to be
impaired or on the phone could help.
If the cop doesn't see it happen, they can't do diddly--unless you have a Go Pro or something.

In my youth I used to keep a couple of heavy 1" bolts or nuts lightly taped to the clubmans on my worked Kaw. 750 H2.

Someone like that would've got a panel dent or broken window.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Hans_Krugger
Rock Jock

Oddometer: 25
Go Corporate on them...and carry a gun.

I have not had it happen with a company truck on my cycle, but have had drivers in company trucks act badly when I was in my car - or as a pedestrian. Being a former corporate guy - I know what generally gets the attention of people is calling a VP in marketing...and telling them how an asshole in truck No. XXX is endangering the public in a vehicle with the company name all over it - and how people notice it. Then I get names, follow up in writing on good stationary using business language and CC it to every one in management I can identify...but most of all - the president of the company involved. I am no lawyer - I just have a bunch of them for clients...and I suspect they would consider the drivers behavior as felonious assault.

When I used to ride my road bike, I carried a colt government model 380 in the vest pocket of my leather jacket - just for such situations. A camera phone also is a good weapon. I have found snapping a photo of someone then making a call tends to intimidate them. I know...tough on a cycle...but its a trick that works elsewhere.
Hans_Krugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,289
Don't expect much and realize that assholes are A plenty. Has this hapned to me before? Yes. How did I react to it? I took care of it. Was the right outcome? Maybe, but today I think no. Who knows, that stupid bastard may be pissed bc of something is going wrong in his life. Be glad you had the ability to keep your composure and live to ride again. Eventually he will run into someone that may not be as balanced as you.
Glad you are ok, my advice is let it go, kiss your wife hug your kids and jump on the beast next morning.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
vortexau
Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer: 1,660
In the sixties I was forced to take to the gravel verge bordering a two-lane sealed two-way carriageway by a police car overtaking a vehicle traveling in the other direction. Possibly there were double lines on that section.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:10 PM   #8
Handy
Sunburnt

Oddometer: 1,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsaragazzi View Post
don't expect much and realize that assholes are a plenty. Has this hapned to me before? Yes. How did i react to it? I took care of it. Was the right outcome? Maybe, but today i think no. Who knows, that stupid bastard may be pissed bc of something is going wrong in his life. Be glad you had the ability to keep your composure and live to ride again. Eventually he will run into someone that may not be as balanced as you.
Glad you are ok, my advice is let it go, kiss your wife hug your kids and jump on the beast next morning.
+1
Handy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 PM   #9
feathered
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_Krugger View Post

When I used to ride my road bike, I carried a colt government model 380 in the vest pocket of my leather jacket - just for such situations. A camera phone also is a good weapon. I have found snapping a photo of someone then making a call tends to intimidate them. I know...tough on a cycle...but its a trick that works elsewhere.
Yeah that's the shit. The next time someone road-rages at me, I'm going to try brandishing a gun. That can only improve the situation.

The phone is a good idea.
feathered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
You tried to pass somebody with one of your Urals ?

Because if you couldn't get the drop on a service truck with the other bikes you need a refresher course in throttle application.
+1

Pass with authority and you're by them before they know it.

I've had that shite happen several times over the years.

No reason to escalate the asshattery. Either I get by, or I don't.

Most of the time when someone objects to a pass, they'll just nail the throttle instead of doing the fake swerve.

That taught me early that passing "with authority", in the bike's powerband every time was good practice.
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:12 PM   #11
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,814
The police probably wont be much help. With out any evidence there wont be any assault charges against the other driver. Not to mention when your story involves you starting the whole thing passing on a double yellow.

Ive passed on double yellows before and will probably do it again in the future. I just try to be careful and avoid road rage people. I generally just let stuff go. Though the above advice about writing letters to the owner of the company sounds lime a good idea if you want to put the effort into it.

Good luck and be safe out there.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #12
AZbiker
Crunkin' with crackers

Oddometer: 6,949
Quote:

Just for what situations? A Quentin Tarantino movie that is an ode to stuntpeople?

So just how are you going to use the sidearm while riding a motorcycle? Set the throttle lock and draw strong side? Or draw weak side? Assuming you're a righty and do the latter, how much do you practice shooting moving targets weak side offhand?

If you're a lefty it simplifies things a bit as a lefty pistol shooter would be able to keep their hand on the throttle while drawing strong side.

Still, how much training do you do shooting while moving, in a vehicle or otherwise? How about shooting moving targets while stationary?

If someone pulls into your lane and you brandish a weapon at them, it's your word against theirs unless you have a camera recording the incident. Even so, you would have to rely on a DA taking your side. Judging from the complete lack of prosecution when an idiot cager makes a left turn and kills one of us I wouldn't hold my breath.

Protip: If you want to make an illegal pass, do it (1) on a motorcycle that will get out of its own way and (2) know how to ride the shit out of the aforementioned motorcycle.

The phone idea is a good idea unless you are talking about fucking with a career criminal. Then you might have gotten yourself killed.

Intimidation. What a fucking joke.

derek

http://azbiker.smugmug.com

Got SmugMug? If not, save some cash and use my code: McYdbycdcvM5Q
AZbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:29 PM   #13
rocker59
diplomatico di moto

Oddometer: 15,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannonball8 View Post
What should I expect the phone co. to do? Anyone been in this situation?
Bruce
Twenty years ago I had a job as a route salesman driving a 1-ton box truck.

One day, when transiting on the interstate, some bitch was sitting in the left lane and would not move right for me to pass. She had room to move over, but I did not have room to make a pass on the right due to traffic ahead, which she was pacing, so as to block me.

Eventually, I was able to make the pass on the right, and though I made a perfectly safe pass, I didn't cut her much slack.

Well she was pissed and decided to tailgate me. I was in a hurry, so I was hammer down, rolling black smoke out the back of that 7.3 liter Ford. She tailgated me for 15 miles, at least, and I knew I'd be hearing about it at the office.

Sure enough, that evening when I returned to the plant, my manager took me to his office for a sit-down. I gave him my side of the story. He added the incident to my "file". Told me that repeated complaints could result in my firing, then "off the record" told me he didn't believe the bitch's story.

So, basically, the guy will get a warning from his supervisor. It's a "he-said, he-said" kind of deal for you. That utility worker will not admit to any wrong-doing. He's probably union, and will have a representative in the sit-down with him. It won't come to anything.

However, if this is a pattern for this guy, and if he has other complaints, or gets other complaints in the future, it will be good that you called in on him. Though, you'll never have the "satisfaction" of knowing what ever came of it...
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

rocker59 screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 11:12 PM
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #14
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,690
Quote:

And just what would the .380 be used for in "such situations"

Here is a news flash for you son. If you brandish a weapon YOU are escalating a situation you could have easily avoided by simply pulling over and letting the asshat drive away... And you have just given said asshat legal grounds to run your sorry ass over. NOT a real bright move either way because if you somehow did manage to get a shot off and managed to kill the asshat you could be and IMO should be charged with Murder.

DAKEZ screwed with this post 11-28-2012 at 11:23 PM
DAKEZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:20 PM   #15
willis 2000
neo-quixote

Oddometer: 3,284
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Twenty years ago I had a job as a route salesman driving a 1-ton box truck.

One day, when transiting on the interstate, some bitch was sitting in the left lane and would not move right for me to pass. She had room to move over, but I did not have room to make a pass on the right due to traffic ahead, which she was pacing, so as to block me.

Eventually, I was able to make the pass on the right, and though I made a perfectly safe pass, I didn't cut her much slack.

Well she was pissed and decided to tailgate me. I was in a hurry, so I was hammer down, rolling black smoke out the back of that 7.3 liter Ford. She tailgated me for 15 miles, at least, and I knew I'd be hearing about it at the office.

Sure enough, that evening when I returned to the plant, my manager took me to his office for a sit-down. I gave him my side of the story. He added the incident to my "file". Told me that repeated complaints could result in my firing, then "off the record" told me he didn't believe the bitch's story.

So, basically, the guy will get a warning from his supervisor. It's a "he-said, he-said" kind of deal for you. That utility worker will not admit to any wrong-doing. He's probably union, and will have a representative in the sit-down with him. It won't come to anything.

However, if this is a pattern for this guy, and if he has other complaints, or gets other complaints in the future, it will be good that you called in on him. Though, you'll never have the "satisfaction" of knowing what ever came of it...
Always get the truck number or license plate number and phone in your complaint. It may not result in the disciplinary action you desire, say, burning at the stake, but these complaints add up. I have seen corporate drivers wise up after a couple of sit-downs in the boss's office.
willis 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote