Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #16
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
What we have here is 2 wrongs, 2 wrongs on very different levels, but 2 wrongs none the less.

Guns or other projectiles? congratulations, you just stooped to their level...........or worse.
Police? A law breaker reporting another law breaker, without video it's unlikely they can or would do.anything.
Reporting it to their company? a large corporation like a phone company will take a complaint of that nature very seriously, they don't like liability. Probably the best solution.

Personally? I would look at it as a reminder, for every person who chooses to break the law, there is another who feels the need to enforce it, when they meet the results can be bad.

A harsh reminder our decisions on the road don't happen in a vacuum.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:48 PM   #17
orangebear
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
well on a bike i guess using your left hand to fire a gun and your right hand on the revs that what i would do.

if you do carry a gun and if you can shoot at a small thing moving at speed then you could shoot out the tyres

in my car trying to over take another car i just went hard on the horn and went passed and hopped the other car would not drift over the line again.
Klr650c the 1 I should not of wasted my money on
Honda xl125rc powered by a cg125 block fun wee bike
orangebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:52 PM   #18
slugsmasher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
When somebody makes an aggressive maneuver towards me, which has happened a few times simply because I am on a motorcycle or just because they are a perpetual asshat in a vehicle, I have found that just pulling over and waiting it out for a few minutes to cool down, meditate and let them "get away" is the best remedy. Then continue on your journey like nothing happened. Nothing good happens from attempting to become the counter-aggressor on a motorcycle, it isn't worth it.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #19
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by slugsmasher View Post
When somebody makes an aggressive maneuver towards me, which has happened a few times simply because I am on a motorcycle or just because they are a perpetual asshat in a vehicle, I have found that just pulling over and waiting it out for a few minutes to cool down, meditate and let them "get away" is the best remedy. Then continue on your journey like nothing happened. Nothing good happens from attempting to become the counter-aggressor on a motorcycle, it isn't worth it.
+1
This gun stuff is just, word's fail me!
Aussijussi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:19 AM   #20
Tepi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Steeltoe boot to the rear lights, then hit off their mirror as you pass..That'll make them think for a while... and its always good to kick the fenders and sides, vans tend to dent quite easily. "mr officer he just swerved at me and hit me, you can see the damage" then hire a lawyer and sue the company for millions.. profit?
Tepi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:25 AM   #21
wayne_l
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 176
this week i had a old lady try to brake check me several times on 67 towards denver .
She pulled out of a driveway looking right at me and i had to brake hard .. its a 45 mph zone and she has cut me off and doing 25 . so back off waiting for room to pass and out of the blue she stops cold .. now she is yelling at me through her rear view mirror .. I am on a twisty road and apex of a corner i cant get around her .

so she starts moving again after giving me a licking thru her mirror .. we go about 2 more miles and does it again middle of no where ..

I couldnt pass her in the dark on those turns .. I wanted so bad to tell this crazy grandma off but ,i just wanted to be left alone more than anything .. So i pulled over figure let her either give another lashing or just her get way ahead of me .. so i popped a Rockstar and waited ...

At the time i didnt feel like iwas being patient but im the kind thats very quick to anger and get fighting mad ..figure it was best to pull over clear my head and not let her ruin my ride ... then i was able to take the corners like i like ..

The ones that scare me most is when i try to pass they feel like i insulted thier manhood and now they have to proove how fast they are and wont let me back over ..
wayne_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:05 AM   #22
Tor
Native Viking

Oddometer: 801
Get a headlight modulator and hi-viz gear. They even pull over sometimes, so I can pass.

2005 Honda ST1300 / 2010 BMW F800 Gelände-Straße
Tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:21 AM   #23
Forde
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 639
wow, people suck on the roads

in ireland when you are on a bike and there is traffic ahead, its generally the done thing that the cars ahead of you put a wheel onto the shoulder if possible so you can pass without going into the oncoming lane
Old 11-29-2012, 04:22 AM   #24
catweasel67
Banned

Oddometer: 8,104
*climbs on his high horse*

You tried an illegal manoeuvre, he tried one. Poor behaviour on both parts. IMO you (both) should consider yourself lucky no one else got hurt

"dismounts*

Don't get me too wrong - I've been in your situation - I've pissed off other road users when I've done something stupid but I don't escalate and I'd not report the other guy.

catweasel67 screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 01:04 PM
catweasel67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:26 AM   #25
KX50002
NooB, my ass

Oddometer: 1,633
3 words...

HEAT

SEEKING

MISSILES
Old 11-29-2012, 05:42 AM   #26
tire joe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
A letter to the general manger of the company will do more, than 20 phone calls.
tire joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:50 AM   #27
Domiken
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 643
Quote:
Originally Posted by catweasel67 View Post
*climbs on is high horse*

You tried an illegal manoeuvre, he tried one. Poor behaviour on both parts. IMO you (both) should consider yourself lucky no one else got hurt

"dismounts*

Don't get to (too) wrong - I've been in your situation - I've pissed off other road users when I've done something stupid but I don't escalate and I'd not report the other guy.
Good thing you dismounted...

OP report the guy right away, attempting to knock you off the motorcycle whether you were attempting a legal/illegal pass is not acceptable behavior as a driver, he could have caused you great bodily harm/death. Hopefully the guy gets written up, even if nothing comes of it, he'll remember you reported him if his supervisor mentions something. I would send a certified letter to the phone company as well.
Old 11-29-2012, 05:56 AM   #28
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,967
It just boggles my mind that somebody would think killing a motorcyclist is acceptable to avoid being passed. WTF. It happens way too much. People fucking suck.

Seriously...legal pass or not, everyone is happier afterwards. Why don't more people understand this?

I'm glad you didn't let the motherfucker hit you. I hope tries that same move on somebody with good aim...

All that said, I've stopped passing people on double yellows. I did it for a while, but there are simply too many whackdoodle nutjobs out there off their meds that will try to kill you for doing it. Not worth the risk anymore. Hell -- I've had people floor the throttle when I try to pass them in legal passing zones! I don't understand why so much ego is tied up with who's "in front" especially when the guy in front is going under the speed limit!!

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:56 AM   #29
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post
If someone pulls into your lane and you brandish a weapon at them, it's your word against theirs unless you have a camera recording the incident. Even so, you would have to rely on a DA taking your side. Judging from the complete lack of prosecution when an idiot cager makes a left turn and kills one of us I wouldn't hold my breath.
Not only that, but if someone on a bike points a weapon at me while I'm driving I'm jerking the wheel into them as hard as I can.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:57 AM   #30
NHADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 554
There is more than one way to skin a cat. Be patient. One day you will be driving down the road and see him again. Wait till he goes up in the bucket to fix a line on the pole, get in the truck and take off at like 50 down the road! The end result will be the same he got when he tried to kill you. I am just kidding....or am I. Married for over 10 years now with two kids I would most likely do nothing except make a phone call.