Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 07:00 AM   #31
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
Not only that, but if someone on a bike points a weapon at me while I'm driving I'm jerking the wheel into them as hard as I can.

Even if you started it?

(I know what you are saying)

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:05 AM   #32
Foot dragger
singletracker

Oddometer: 12,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedShark View Post
You tried to pass somebody with one of your Urals ?

Because if you couldn't get the drop on a service truck with the other bikes you need a refresher course in throttle application.
I agree,when I pass a car on my 1200 Triumph I try to make it look like Im coming right out of their front grill. You cannot give a cager a chance to kill you or they will.
Its just a matter of common sense. Pass Fast!
Old 11-29-2012, 07:07 AM   #33
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans_Krugger View Post
I have not had it happen with a company truck on my cycle, but have had drivers in company trucks act badly when I was in my car - or as a pedestrian. Being a former corporate guy - I know what generally gets the attention of people is calling a VP in marketing...and telling them how an asshole in truck No. XXX is endangering the public in a vehicle with the company name all over it - and how people notice it. Then I get names, follow up in writing on good stationary using business language and CC it to every one in management I can identify...but most of all - the president of the company involved. I am no lawyer - I just have a bunch of them for clients...and I suspect they would consider the drivers behavior as felonious assault.

When I used to ride my road bike, I carried a colt government model 380 in the vest pocket of my leather jacket - just for such situations. A camera phone also is a good weapon. I have found snapping a photo of someone then making a call tends to intimidate them. I know...tough on a cycle...but its a trick that works elsewhere.
Wow! We made it to 5 posts before someone says they carry a gun for those who irritate them in traffic! Gotta love the internet warriors.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:09 AM   #34
gravityisnotmyfriend
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kannonball8 View Post
On my way home from work today I attempted to pass a phone company truck on a rural road (double line). He made it clear that he wasn't going to allow that, by very nearly killing me. I had a straight section of road with ample space to do a safe pass, as I got even with his rear wheel he suddenly came over to the left to block me. I could clearly see his face in his mirror so there was no question that he knew I was there and that this was intentional. I have seen people drift over the line by mistake but this was a sudden and calculated move, not a mistake. I was able to brake fast enough to avoid an accident but the idea that this asshole decided that he wasn't going to be passed so it was ok to wreck me really pissed me off. We had about 5 miles of twisty rural road left to go before the next intersection so I just followed. He ran as fast as he could to be sure I wasn't going to get by him, however I wasn't about to try - was really just hoping to get to see him wreck (he didn't). He didn't stop at the intersection and I wasn't going to spend the rest of the afternoon chasing him down. When I got home I called the phone company and gave them the story as well as the tag number of the truck - they said his supervisor would be in touch. I don't know how far I want to take this or what the phone company does in this case, but this guy needs some sort of punishment - suppose it had been my wife, she may not have been able to brake quick enough.
I could take it to the police, but I would have to admit that I was attempting a double line pass - however even the police would agree a DL pass is no excuse to wreck somone.
What should I expect the phone co. to do? Anyone been in this situation?
Bruce

From your OP, you sound like a 17 year old who just got his license - not someone with decades of riding. You were commuting home from work. You had the choice of following a truck for 5 miles or potentially endangering oncoming traffic by passing illegally.

Granted, the truck driver was being a dick, but law enforcement is going to do nothing about it. Ever heard of the concept of "clean hands". If someone does something illegal to you because you were doing something illegal, you have no legal rights.

You don't want someone swerving at you while attempting an illegal pass? How about to stop attempting illegal passes?

A camera isn't going to help you - at least not in a legal sense.

And a gun? You gotta be fucking kidding me.

When I'm on two wheels, I'm assuming that everyone out there is intent on killing me out of negligence. I'm sure as shit not going to give them a reason to do so out of malice as well.

Maybe you'd like to speak to my lawyer?

http://youtu.be/rVnplh7gnlU
gravityisnotmyfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #35
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,699
Quote:
Not only that, but if someone on a bike points a weapon at me while I'm driving I'm jerking the wheel into them as hard as I can.
+1. Just not worth it to try to retaliate on a bike; nevermind the fact that two wrongs don't make a right, all the cager has to do is run you over and continue on his merry way.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:13 AM   #36
Foot dragger
singletracker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Twenty years ago I had a job as a route salesman driving a 1-ton box truck.

One day, when transiting on the interstate, some bitch was sitting in the left lane and would not move right for me to pass. She had room to move over, but I did not have room to make a pass on the right due to traffic ahead, which she was pacing, so as to block me.

Eventually, I was able to make the pass on the right, and though I made a perfectly safe pass, I didn't cut her much slack.

Well she was pissed and decided to tailgate me. I was in a hurry, so I was hammer down, rolling black smoke out the back of that 7.3 liter Ford. She tailgated me for 15 miles, at least, and I knew I'd be hearing about it at the office.

Sure enough, that evening when I returned to the plant, my manager took me to his office for a sit-down. I gave him my side of the story. He added the incident to my "file". Told me that repeated complaints could result in my firing, then "off the record" told me he didn't believe the bitch's story.

So, basically, the guy will get a warning from his supervisor. It's a "he-said, he-said" kind of deal for you. That utility worker will not admit to any wrong-doing. He's probably union, and will have a representative in the sit-down with him. It won't come to anything.

However, if this is a pattern for this guy, and if he has other complaints, or gets other complaints in the future, it will be good that you called in on him. Though, you'll never have the "satisfaction" of knowing what ever came of it...
So as a professional driver you "passed on the right" "Didnt cut her much slack" and your in a hurry.
Your being paid to drive so why the hurry? I can see a short career in truck driving.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #37
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,116
I agree with those here who suggest ignoring the incident. Inviting road rage while riding a motorcycle is not smart. I ride in an urban environment. If I got angry over everybody who maneuvered me out of their way or took over my lane, I'd be angry all the time.

Passing on a double is certainly inviting a problem with some drivers.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:38 AM   #38
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,850
Ask to speak to the corporate safety manager. I was run off the road once by a bottled water truck passing on a hill, that delivered to my work. They fired the driver that evening.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #39
Barry
Just Beastly

Oddometer: 7,230
Quote:
I own guns. I carry guns. The above statement is true for me more than I can say. If someone pisses you off and you SHOW them a gun, expect them to possibly "neutralize the threat" quickly, and by whatever means possible.... I would. And I'd do it immediately, and all the way, not half ass.

Barry

Do not do business with Myrtle West Cycle... Not a reputable vendor by a long shot.
Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:42 AM   #40
Offcamber
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
F

A camera isn't going to help you - at least not in a legal sense.

Not true the riders who were run off the road by a pickup truck in Kentucky were not charged and the driver is sitting in jail.

Quote:
Hudson sentenced in road rage incident

The truck driver caught on camera swerving at a passing motorcycle on May 22, on a rural Bracken County road, was sentenced to prison on Thursday.

Gary L. Hudson, 23, of Pendleton County, entered a guilty plea on Nov. 18, in Bracken Circuit Court to an offer from the Commonwealth's Attorney Office.

He was sentenced Thursday to two years in jail on each of two wanton endangerment counts, 90 days in jail for menacing and a $100 fine for reckless driving. The sentences run concurrent for a total of two years, court officials said.

In the incident, caught on a camera mounted on one of two motorcycles, Hudson is seen driving a truck which enters Kentucky 22 ahead of the motorcyclists and drives in the same direction. As the lead cycle attempts to pass Hudson on the left, Hudson appeared to purposefully steer into the lane and nearly forced the motorcycle off the road. The motorcycle with the camera continued to follow until all three vehicles stopped at an intersection and a verbal altercation with threats ensued.

Hudson is in Mason County Detention Center awaiting transfer to a state prison facility..
Old 11-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #41
eric2
®egister this:

Oddometer: 3,779
Well, this thread has all the usual suspects. Gun toters waiting to unload on dumb cagers, dudley do rights who think its ok to run dyl passers off the road, only to be surpassed by even dumber suggestions to tactfully dent or vandalize a moving car and then make a grand escape.

Luckily, there are a few with common sense enough to know in a cage vs bike scenario the cage will have an upper hand.

Yield to tonnage you dipshits, and if you feel the blood starting to boil, pull over, wait for the traffic to clear and then marvel at your cleverness when you can finally enjoy yourself on the road.

A go pro can certainly be used for legal purposes, there was an incident well documented here of an idiot truck driver who kept blocking some passing bikers. They had words at the next stop and the cops were called. After they viewed the footage and the truck drivers repeated attempts to run these guys off the road he was charged accordingly. Passing on the dyl is not as big an offense as trying to kill someone as it turns out. Go figure.

edit: Glad someone found the footage, a worthy 205.

Pissing off a cager while you are on your bike isn't good for longevity, and as mentioned earlier, if I was in a cage and saw someone pull a pistol on me I would take immediate action to alleviate the threat, and would be completely within my rights to do so.
Originally Posted by Big Steve View Post
I've yet to see a poor person driving a real gas hog......
lottery: A tax for people bad at math
eric2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:30 AM   #42
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
So, it's been long enough now and nobody has asked.

Did the OP track down the driver's mother?

GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:43 AM   #43
Craneguy
British Hooligan

Oddometer: 1,027
I had a guy pull out of a side turn at me yesterday. He completely blocked my lane waiting for a break in the traffic. Thing is, I knew he was going to do it (never looked in my direction) so I rolled fast right up to his door. The look on his face as he finally looked into my twin high-beam HIDs was payback enough.

I now know what an abject apology in hand signals looked like. He'll look both ways next time I'm sure, right after he changes his shorts.

Then again, maybe I should have shot him?
Old 11-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #44
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,499
Sorry but the op was wrong for passing on a double yellow. There are laws for public safety. You were wrong first. He certainly was wrong for trying to run you off the road and I understand why you are mad, you should be, I'm not justifying his actions.

I do pass on double yellows, sometimes frequently. I always wait for a straight section and give them the friendly high beams and a courtesy wave after I give them plenty of room. I'm sure it pisses some off but thats the deal when you want to have fun in the twisties and not stare at a crane truck for five miles.

You were both wrong and since you instigated the situation you need to be the one who says screw it and move on. No one is going to give a shit that someone was annoyed at you for trying to overtake on a double yellow police, company or otherwise.

I have lots of guns too. I do not carry ever. The only time you are going to see the barrel of my guns other than at a range is if you break into my house with the intent to do my family harm. Internet dick swinging about brandishing a pistol while riding and double tapping their rear tires and riding a wheelie past them with your hair on fire has been played out in the movies way too much

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:56 AM   #45
D R
----

Oddometer: 483
A few years back, a friend of mine left work early for home (riding his motorcycle) to meet a contractor coming over to provide an estimate for work he wanted done on his property. As he was exiting off the highway for the road to his house, a work truck (flat bed P/U style) shot past him on his left , barely making it into the exit lane where it diverged from the highway. My friend had to brake and swerve right to avoid a collision.

The truck barely stopped at the stop sign and then speed off down the road, heading in the same direction as my friend's house. My friend is pretty laid back and with him not being in a real hurry and with all the curves in the road, he quickly lost sight of the truck. He turned into his neighborhood and made his way to his house, only to find the truck which nearly ran him over now parked in his driveway. The driver was standing at the door.

After parking, dismounting his motorcycle and approaching the front door, the waiting driver extended his hand in greeting and said (something along the lines of...) "Hi. I'm so-and-so. I'm here to provide the estimate." Without shaking the driver's extended hand, my friend casually replied "Hi. I'm the motorcycle rider you nearly killed when you exited the highway. You are trespassing on my property. Leave immediately or I will call the police."

Without another word, he walked past the speechless driver, entered his house and closed the door. He watched from the window as the driver returned to his truck and left.

If only all outcomes could be like this.