ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 12:13 PM   #61
PT Rider
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: NW Washington State
Oddometer: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by tire joe View Post
A letter to the general manger of the company will do more, than 20 phone calls.
Add a copy to the legal department in your description of how dangerous and illegal their employees driving was. Add a copy to the risk management department if you can get the address.
__________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Henry David Thoreau
PT Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:14 PM   #62
568V8
Ontario Vstrommer
 
568V8's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Oddometer: 172
double line passing ?

So, Windmill, were you intending to pass by crossing a solid line? Isn't that illegal in WV ?
Not to preach because we've all crossed solid lines at some point. But the trucker may just have had a perverted and unsafe way of informing you that you shouldn't pass.
As I understand the laws in the US you can't cross a solid line; it's potential traffic act charge and fine. Am I correct?
In Ontario we can cross a solid line; they are only warnings. Although crossing a solid line does attack attention from cars because most drivers are misinformed.
568V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:32 PM   #63
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer
 
PhilB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
... Ever heard of the concept of "clean hands". If someone does something illegal to you because you were doing something illegal, you have no legal rights. ...
Bullshit. If someone trespasses on my property, I'm not allowed to just shoot him; I can only use deadly force if I have good reason to believe I am in imminent danger from him. Vehicular assault is still illegal, even if the victim is not obeying every law.

PhilB
__________________
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (228,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:59 PM   #64
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer
 
Mgbgt89's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: Akron, Ohio
Oddometer: 1,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
+1

Pass with authority and you're by them before they know it.

I've had that shite happen several times over the years.

No reason to escalate the asshattery. Either I get by, or I don't.

Most of the time when someone objects to a pass, they'll just nail the throttle instead of doing the fake swerve.

That taught me early that passing "with authority", in the bike's powerband every time was good practice.
This. I don't fuck around when i'm passing someone, especially on a DY. I had a ford Taurus floor it in southern ohio trying to race me to a corner as i was mid DY pass. The upcoming right was not blind, so i stayed hammer down. The 625 isn't a powerhouse, but it gets out of its own way. Made the corner and watched in my mirror as he blew the corner, went into the opposite ditch, swerved back across the road and nearly put it into the inside ditch.

My girlfriend always says i take corners so much "better" (faster) after i make a pass. I tell her its to put some real estate between us and the cager I more than likely just pissed off.

I love West Virginia for the fact that they put passing zones wherever they can possibly squeeze one. DY passes don't seem quite as necessary. By the time i come to a spot in the road i could make a safe DY pass, low and behold they broke the line for me. If you aren't down a gear and ready you'll miss it. Ohio needs a stretch you could land a cessna on before they'll give you the dotted yellow. Extremely frustrating, especially when you're stuck behind an ohio driver who slams on the brakes at the apex of every corner.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:15 PM   #65
scottrnelson
Team Orange
 
scottrnelson's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Folsom, CA
Oddometer: 1,385
Reading all of the responses in this thread has made me feel thankful that I live in Northern California. In my own experience of riding tens of thousands of miles on our wonderful twisty roads, it has been extremely rare for anyone to try to prevent a pass or attempt to "enforce the law" as seems more common in other states. Most drivers do their best to help the motorcycles continue on their way, often pulling over as soon as safely possible to let us get by.

I'm also surprised at how many self righteous people have posted here about the evils of passing on a solid line. There are many places where it can be done safely, even if it is technically illegal. You just have to have completed the pass and be back in your lane before you get halfway to the corner that you can't see around - assuming no driveways or other turnouts are on the left.

But I'm also a fan of just pulling off when stuck behind someone who is not easy to pass, and getting a bit of clear road ahead before continuing on my way. That way I can enjoy the road until I catch up to them again.
__________________
__Scott R. Nelson, 2008 KTM 990 Adventure, 2001 Honda XR650L, Folsom, CA
scottrnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:20 PM   #66
opmike
Choosing to be here.
 
opmike's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2011
Location: Southeast, US
Oddometer: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravityisnotmyfriend View Post
Ever heard of the concept of "clean hands". If someone does something illegal to you because you were doing something illegal, you have no legal rights.
What, is this something taken from the Old Testament? You are grossly misapplying the unclean hands doctrine.

Quote:
Maybe you'd like to speak to my lawyer?
Please consult an ACTUAL lawyer before giving out internet-grade legal advice,
__________________
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:11 PM   #67
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Finland-Australia
Oddometer: 1,066
Oh yeah right, bring the lawyers into the fray. Seriously speaking, i found that stopping and having a bit of a breather help's, if you get your undies in a bind, over some idiot car driver. Admittedly someone trying to force you off the road, should be hung by their nut's. This kicking the car, smashing the mirror, while riding your bike, however, is stuff that only happend's in movie's. I mean, no sane person would do it
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:25 PM   #68
windmill
Beastly Adventurer
 
windmill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kent, Washington State
Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by 568V8 View Post
So, Windmill, were you intending to pass by crossing a solid line? Isn't that illegal in WV ?
Not to preach because we've all crossed solid lines at some point. But the trucker may just have had a perverted and unsafe way of informing you that you shouldn't pass.
As I understand the laws in the US you can't cross a solid line; it's potential traffic act charge and fine. Am I correct?
In Ontario we can cross a solid line; they are only warnings. Although crossing a solid line does attack attention from cars because most drivers are misinformed.
I belive you have me confused with the OP, Kannonball8?
__________________
"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:32 PM   #69
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Waynesboro, PA
Oddometer: 247
Is passing on a double yellow widely accepted
Half the people replying to this thread have said "when I pass on a DY" like it's common and it OK.

I don't pay attention to whos who on here because I really don't care but are the people passing on DY the same ones having a fit on the Killboy threads about crossing the DY? I'm confused, it's only ok to cross the DY if someone is in your way?
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:36 PM   #70
windmill
Beastly Adventurer
 
windmill's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Kent, Washington State
Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
Reading all of the responses in this thread has made me feel thankful that I live in Northern California. In my own experience of riding tens of thousands of miles on our wonderful twisty roads, it has been extremely rare for anyone to try to prevent a pass or attempt to "enforce the law" as seems more common in other states. Most drivers do their best to help the motorcycles continue on their way, often pulling over as soon as safely possible to let us get by.

I'm also surprised at how many self righteous people have posted here about the evils of passing on a solid line. There are many places where it can be done safely, even if it is technically illegal. You just have to have completed the pass and be back in your lane before you get halfway to the corner that you can't see around - assuming no driveways or other turnouts are on the left.

But I'm also a fan of just pulling off when stuck behind someone who is not easy to pass, and getting a bit of clear road ahead before continuing on my way. That way I can enjoy the road until I catch up to them again.
I'm also thankful that here in the pnw, outside of the urban commuter routes, things like this dont happen.

People who generally obay traffic laws are self righteous? Whats the line between prudent and self righteous? It seems to me that having a caviler additude towards traffic laws is not healthy or wise.
__________________
"Take care, sir," cried Sancho. "Those over there are not giants but windmills".
windmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:43 PM   #71
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Is passing on a double yellow widely accepted
Half the people replying to this thread have said "when I pass on a DY" like it's common and it OK.

I don't pay attention to whos who on here because I really don't care but are the people passing on DY the same ones having a fit on the Killboy threads about crossing the DY? I'm confused, it's only ok to cross the DY if someone is in your way?
Over the past twenty years, the "specifications" for passing zones on two-lane highways have been altered, and many straight sections that used to have passing zones no longer have them. I guess those were too short to be considered safe for the lowest common denominator vehicles out there.

In The Hills where I live, It's not uncommon to come up on cars and trucks running 35-45 mph in places where I'll be casually travelling at 65 on a motorcycle. In those instances, if there is no passing zone, and if it's a safe pass, I will make it and be on my merry way.

Crossing the double yellow in a curve at high speed, simply to straighten it out, is something alltogether different. And, a dangerous practice...
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #72
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Waynesboro, PA
Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocker59 View Post
Over the past twenty years, the "specifications" for passing zones on two-lane highways have been altered, and many straight sections that used to have passing zones no longer have them. I guess those were too short to be considered safe for the lowest common denominator vehicles out there.

In The Hills where I live, It's not uncommon to come up on cars and trucks running 35-45 mph in places where I'll be casually travelling at 65 on a motorcycle. In those instances, if there is no passing zone, and if it's a safe pass, I will make it and be on my merry way.

Crossing the double yellow in a curve at high speed, simply to straighten it out, is something alltogether different. And, a dangerous practice...
I can also easily ride faster than most cars traveling the roads. Just because you can physically do something doesn't make it ok to do.
I can probably beat the snot out of at least half the people I meet, and sometimes I would really like to do that, but just because I can doesn't mean I should. It's called restaint.
Anyway, I've offered my $.02 and I don't expect I'll change anyone's mind so I'll just quietly judge and be judged.

ray h screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 03:00 PM
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:02 PM   #73
GSAragazzi
Beastly Adventurer
 
GSAragazzi's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: The Purgatory of Suburbia
Oddometer: 1,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
Bullshit. If someone trespasses on my property, I'm not allowed to just shoot him; I can only use deadly force if I have good reason to believe I am in imminent danger from him. Vehicular assault is still illegal, even if the victim is not obeying every law.

PhilB
Move to Texas! (but I see your point and agree 100%).


SUBCHAPTER D. PROTECTION OF PROPERTY

Here's a taste of TX penal code:

§9.42. Deadly force to protect property.

A person is justified in using deadly force against another to protect land or tangible, movable property:

(1) if he would be justified in using force against the other under Section 9.41; and

(2) when and to the degree he reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary:

(A) to prevent the other's imminent commission of arson, burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, theft during the nighttime, or criminal mischief during the nighttime; or

(B) to prevent the other who is fleeing immediately after committing burglary, robbery, aggravated robbery, or theft during the nighttime from escaping with the property; and

(3) he reasonably believes that:

(A) the land or property cannot be protected or recovered by any other means; or

(B) the use of force other than deadly force to protect or recover the land or property would expose the actor or another to a substantial risk of death or serious bodily injury.

Not only you can use it (DF) but you can give chase to secure the bad guy. But let's be serious here, that's when your life turn upside down, legal cost may ruin most and the ability to go on a free spirited ride on your bike vanishes. IMHO it's cheaper for me to see my tv stolen than the cost of a legal battle once I shoot the imbecil dead. Plus it would break my heart if one of my guns was taken away as evidence. Don't care if it's a Glock or a custom 1911 I love them all the same.
Like I stated earlier in the thread, slow the conflict to a stop, take the high road and live to ride another day.
__________________
"The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday"

GSAragazzi screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 03:08 PM
GSAragazzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #74
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
I Just because you can physically do something doesn't make it ok to do.

I've offered my $.02 and I don't expect I'll change anyone's mind so I'll just quietly judge and be judged.
Keep in mind that passing laws (and enforcement of those laws) vary by State.
__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
“Just keep playing, no matter how weird it gets.”
rocker59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #75
PhilB
Beastly Adventurer
 
PhilB's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: New Hampshire
Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Is passing on a double yellow widely accepted
Half the people replying to this thread have said "when I pass on a DY" like it's common and it OK.

I don't pay attention to whos who on here because I really don't care but are the people passing on DY the same ones having a fit on the Killboy threads about crossing the DY? I'm confused, it's only ok to cross the DY if someone is in your way?
It's pretty widely accepted in my experience. As others have mentioned, the lines are painted with the assumption that the passing vehicle is an ordinary car, so there are a lot of places where it is a DY, but a safe pass can be made on a decent bike.

Making a safe pass on a DL is not the same as crossing the DL in a corner while riding. In a pass, the safest path is the other lane, provided you have adequate visibility. There is no safety reason to use the oncoming lane if your own lane is clear.

So yes, you got it right -- it's only ok to cross the DY if someone is in your way (and there's room to make a safe pass).

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmill View Post
I'm also thankful that here in the pnw, outside of the urban commuter routes, things like this dont happen.

People who generally obay traffic laws are self righteous? Whats the line between prudent and self righteous? It seems to me that having a caviler additude towards traffic laws is not healthy or wise.
The line between prudent and self-righteous is the difference between regulating your own activity (which is entirely appropriate) and trying to regulate other people's behavior (which you have no right to do unless that behavior is actually a threat to you). Meaning, in this case, that the driver had no right to try to damage the biker; the biker was no danger to him.

PhilB
__________________
1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (228,000 miles, so far) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1972 Honda CB450 (daughter's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1967 Alfa Romeo GT Jr. (1300cc) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)

PhilB screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 04:50 PM
PhilB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014