Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 09:07 AM   #91
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,058
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
If you're going to do that, you need to correct everybody's poor grammar and spelling errors. That could keep you busy full time.
I'm not sure how Klay does it

M
Old 11-30-2012, 09:23 AM   #92
ttpete
Rectum Non Bustibus

Oddometer: 5,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrnelson View Post
If you're going to do that, you need to correct everybody's poor grammar and spelling errors. That could keep you busy full time.
The rest of it was written so well that it stuck out like a sore thumb.
67 Triumph Bonneville TT Special
ttpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:46 AM   #93
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilB View Post

The line between prudent and self-righteous is the difference between regulating your own activity (which is entirely appropriate) and trying to regulate other people's behavior (which you have no right to do unless that behavior is actually a threat to you). Meaning, in this case, that the driver had no right to try to damage the biker; the biker was no danger to him.

PhilB

I would absolutely pursue it with the company, and as others said take it up the chain to make sure it doesn't get brushed off.

For those that say, OP deserved it, or that condone the actions of the driver, WTF. Those attitudes is what makes riding in the US suck. In Europe, as someone stated, people pull over, and if there was a witness to the actions and it was reported to the authorities, the driver would be in DEEP $hit.

The drivers behavior is SOCIOPATHIC!!!!! He needs to at least be assigned to toilet duty for a few weeks, and if he worked for me, I would require a written apology, and mandatory counseling, at the minimum!

I had exactly the same scenario in PA once, and the perpetrator was a Volunteer firefighter (he had a light bar). I wrote the Sheriff and the Chiefs of all the local FD's, There was no specific markings so I had no one to follow up with. But if I ever see that truck parked, it will have 4 flat tires, that are un-patchable!
PFFOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #94
windmill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
Um, it's "egos", not "ego's"...............
Actually I meant eggos....... I was hungry.

Old 11-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #95
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by PFFOG View Post
For those that say, OP deserved it, or that condone the actions of the driver, WTF. Those attitudes is what makes riding in the US suck.
Can you name the people on here who have condoned the actions of the driver?
ray h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:45 PM   #96
Dave in Wi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,968
Quote:
Originally Posted by D R View Post
A few years back, a friend of mine left work early for home (riding his motorcycle) to meet a contractor coming over to provide an estimate for work he wanted done on his property. As he was exiting off the highway for the road to his house, a work truck (flat bed P/U style) shot past him on his left , barely making it into the exit lane where it diverged from the highway. My friend had to brake and swerve right to avoid a collision.

The truck barely stopped at the stop sign and then speed off down the road, heading in the same direction as my friend's house. My friend is pretty laid back and with him not being in a real hurry and with all the curves in the road, he quickly lost sight of the truck. He turned into his neighborhood and made his way to his house, only to find the truck which nearly ran him over now parked in his driveway. The driver was standing at the door.

After parking, dismounting his motorcycle and approaching the front door, the waiting driver extended his hand in greeting and said (something along the lines of...) "Hi. I'm so-and-so. I'm here to provide the estimate."
He had a residential contractor SHOW UP?

I call BS!
1988 DT50
"Daddy, it's five o'clock sometime!"
Dave in Wi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:58 PM   #97
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in Wi View Post
He had a residential contractor SHOW UP?

I call BS!

And on time at that!
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:21 PM   #98
khager
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Can you name the people on here who have condoned the actions of the driver?
Ok I'll play,

VxZeroKnots
So you're passing on a double yellow, following too close, and he is in the wrong? You sound like a small child.

Pantah
The OP complains the driver tried to run him off the road. Then he goes on to say he passes people illegally, but in a non-threatening and safe manner. What a load of

It read to me that the truck driver blocked the hooligan pass, but did it in a safe way too.

gravityisnotmyfriend
You don't want someone swerving at you while attempting an illegal pass? How about to stop attempting illegal passes?
Old 11-30-2012, 07:53 PM   #99
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,376
Well, words are words.
I never had to use my fists.

I have had words with people a number of times and it never resulted in fighting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
That's been tried. Now you're committing assault. After all, the driver is now the victim 'cause you've 'had words.'

Bad things happen all the way round if you try and follow someone and 'have words.'

Anyone see that the 'kid' that hit the guy passing him in NH was found guilty? On one hand On the other its a real shame that a moment of road rage ruins a life. Stop and think about it dumbass! Do you REALLY want to be a felon? ...for the REST of your life?!

M
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:51 PM   #100
PFFOG
Richard Alps-aholic

Oddometer: 2,362
Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
Ok I'll play,

VxZeroKnots
So you're passing on a double yellow, following too close, and he is in the wrong? You sound like a small child.

Pantah
The OP complains the driver tried to run him off the road. Then he goes on to say he passes people illegally, but in a non-threatening and safe manner. What a load of

It read to me that the truck driver blocked the hooligan pass, but did it in a safe way too.

gravityisnotmyfriend
You don't want someone swerving at you while attempting an illegal pass? How about to stop attempting illegal passes?

Thanks for having my back!
PFFOG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:00 PM   #101
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZbiker View Post

Here's my strategy for carrying on a bike, which I do daily:

Evade--this doesn't necessarily mean making the jump to hyperspace either. It could be slowing down, pulling over, turning around, and/or/also heading to the nearest cop shop.

If I am unable to successfully evade, find a place to pull over where I can get off the bike and seek cover. If the person still wants to press the fight at this point then I will use every tool at my disposal to stop the threat to my life.
Daily? Damn, and I thought my daily commute was bad...

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:25 PM   #102
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by khager View Post
Ok I'll play,

VxZeroKnots

Pantah

gravityisnotmyfriend
You made my point.
There isn't one person who said they condone running a biker off the road, I don't see one person saying "good. run him off the road", There was a person who said they thought the driver didn't intend on running the biker off the road,
there were people who said it can be expected and there are people who said the OP shouldn't be passing in a no-passing zone. I fall into all of those categories, you do something illegal and unpredictable and and you put yourself in a situation where anything can happen, learn to live with the consequences of your behavior. If someone in a 4 wheeler really wants to run you off the road, they're going to run you off the road. Think about it, if you're driving your car or truck and you actually WANT push a motorcycle off the road, don't you think you could?
Old 11-30-2012, 09:53 PM   #103
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
A couple of things struck me here.

Don't tell the company it was a double yellow. That had nothing to do with their employee trying to knock you off your bike. He is not the police. You were doing nothing that was going to impede his forward motion, cause any safety issues with him or his vehicle, or endanger any one else. He was either trying to cause you great bodily harm, or trying to kill you. Even if it came up with the police, he is not an enforcer of laws. If there is an issue with going over the double yellow, that's the job of the police, not the phone company. You guys that are saying he brought it on himself, because of the double yellow things are just (in my opinion), pussies. It isn't the phone guys job to make you stop going over that line. If it's that big a deal to him, he should call the cops. Last time I checked, passing on a double yellow is not a capital offense.

Guns. I'm a gun freak. I don't carry a gun. I know guys that carry guns when they ride, and apparently, some of you guys do. And you talk about how you would do this, or do that, with your gun if it happened to you. Have you ever seen how the cops react when someone brandishes a gun? They will do a felony stop on your ass. They will maybe taze your ass, quite possibly throw you down on your face on the pavement, definitely put the knee to the back of your neck, they will definitely haul your ass to jail. They will take your prized gun from you, and there is a good chance you won't see it again. Or, quite possibly, the dickhead in the truck will have one of his own, and start popping caps at your ass. And he has sort of a shield around him, you don't. Chances are, you won't win that one.

Over 40 years of riding, I've had a couple of run-ins with dickheads trying to knock me off. I used to carry ball bearings and shit like that, I've actually done it once. Then worried about the fuckhead looking for me and trying to kill me for months after that.

I think contacting some higher ups in his company might change his behavior. Or they might fire him, really piss him off, and I'm pretty sure, he could come up with your name and address through someone at the phone company. What then?

corndog67 screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 10:00 PM
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #104
ray h
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
You guys that are saying he brought it on himself, because of the double yellow things are just (in my opinion), pussies.
Wow, I haven't been called a pussy since 10th grade, but you're entitled to your opinion even if it is the opinion of a 14 year old so carry on Cub scout.
Those of us who make a living on the roads have more to lose by breaking laws than amateur drivers, sorta like calling a licensed electrician a pussy because he doesn't advocate violating codes.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #105
khager
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
you do something illegal and unpredictable and and you put yourself in a situation where anything can happen, learn to live with the consequences of your behavior.
So if I am passing you (DY) , and you come over into my lane because you are not expecting me there, fine I am OK with that. That's unpredictable right? Kind of like lane-splitting where it's not allowed. I have people accidentally move over on me all the time. I expect it and am prepared to deal with it.

But since it's an illegal pass, it's OK to try and kill me, right? I should expect to be deliberately taken out, right? What if somehow I get by you, would it then be OK to get out a gun and shoot me down from behind?

The consequence of me doing an illegal pass, should be a ticket or a possible head-on into an oncoming car, the only one that should have a problem with that is the oncoming car or the Police.

If you are in a cage and you are doing 60 in a 55 should you EXPECT a death warrant?

The only reason they do it is because they are bullies, and they are bigger than the M/C, and they get away with it.

I guarantee you if an even bigger truck was doing the passing on the DY, they would not try to deliberately hit them. They might try to move over before they get there and block the pass, or speed up to prevent them from passing, but once the pass is taking place they are not going to try and push the Peterbilt into the ditch.