User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
UtahFox OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 446
Earplug Buds...

In the second McEwan & Boorman trip, Long Way Down, I noticed Ewan McEwan was using some earbuds I think would be perfect. As far as I can tell, they're normal earbuds where the enter the ear, but they're capped by a flat piece that seems to fit nicely in the outer ear.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, or seen them? I've done some searching and I'm getting bupkis.
UtahFox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:14 PM   #2
GeoDude
Oblio had a point

Oddometer: 59
Earplug Superstore

I'm not sure what Ewan and Charlie used. Likely they were given to them and were probably big-dollar custom molded in-ear monitors. I'm on my second pair of lower-dollar custom molded silicone earphones sold by the Earplug Superstore. They're not studio quality sound, but they work well with my iPod and XM radio - still pricey at just under $200. They send a do-it-yourself two-part silicon you mix up and with the help of an assistant, inject it into your ear to make a mold. Send the mold off and in a couple of weeks you'll have custom fit earphones. Really slick, really comfortable and really effective.

If you go to one of the national or regional moto rallys there will often be someone selling custom earphones and will do the injecting while you wait.

I hope this helps in your search.

Cheers
And they roam the world at will...."

Spell of the Yukon by Robert Service
GeoDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #3
UtahFox OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoDude View Post
I'm not sure what Ewan and Charlie used. Likely they were given to them and were probably big-dollar custom molded in-ear monitors. I'm on my second pair of lower-dollar custom molded silicone earphones sold by the Earplug Superstore. They're not studio quality sound, but they work well with my iPod and XM radio - still pricey at just under $200. They send a do-it-yourself two-part silicon you mix up and with the help of an assistant, inject it into your ear to make a mold. Send the mold off and in a couple of weeks you'll have custom fit earphones. Really slick, really comfortable and really effective.

If you go to one of the national or regional moto rallys there will often be someone selling custom earphones and will do the injecting while you wait.

I hope this helps in your search.

Cheers
Thanks for that. Currently I have a Scala G4 which I use by putting in earplugs then cranking the music. This drowns out most of the bike and road noises, and I can just hear the music decently. I noticed that they had some non-custom foam plugs for musicians, I may give those a try first. All I really want is for the music to come through a bit louder while keeping the other noise down. I've considered the custom ones, but I want someone who knows what they're doing with the molding process. I have friends in Flagstaff, so I may just wait until the next Overland Expo.

I don't really care too much about the quality. Of course, better is better, but I think what you have has to be as good as it gets for listening to tunes etc while riding. The biggest problem I have with all the buds I own is that they always fall out, and that's if I get the helmet on in the first place. Thanks for the post :)
Old 11-28-2012, 10:53 PM   #4
alaninsea
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 122
Radian

I recently bought some nice Sennheiser ear buds and molded ear plugs (you mix) made by Radian (available on Amazon for about $10).

Stuck the Sennheiser ear buds (but you can probaly use what you got) into my ear and molded the Radian compound to the top section of the ear buds (creates a hook on the top of the ear). Sets in about 10 minutes.

The Radian does not stick to the ear buds like I was hoping for, but works well to lock the ear buds in place when riding. Works great. No longer worry about the ear buds slipping out while riding, and easier to put your hemlet on / off without having to fuss with the ear buds.

Bought 2 different colors to signify left / right. Ended up having enough to make a set of complete ear plugs and to lock the Sennheiser in place.

Alan
Old 11-28-2012, 11:30 PM   #5
E-town dirt dude
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
Here you go...$35-$45.00. They work well. Cut down about 75% of the windnoise of full ear plugs. They are moulded to your ear and don't fall out easily.

http://earfuze.com/
Old 11-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #6
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,580
I have these:

http://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Resea...s=etymotic+mc5

They come with a variety of eartips. I use the squishy foam ones, which reduce noise even better than my -33db shooting earplugs. I wear them all the time except for very short trips. Plugged into my phone, I have music whenever I want, and the Navigation app on my phone even gives me turn-by-turn directions with a very sexy British female voice, which I usually ignore because I'm too busy trying to figure out what the sexy British lady looks like.

For me, worth every penny.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #7
StuartV
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 1,344
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-town dirt dude View Post
Here you go...$35-$45.00. They work well. Cut down about 75% of the windnoise of full ear plugs. They are moulded to your ear and don't fall out easily.

I just saw an ad for these in one of the m/c rags and was looking at them on the Web!

How is the sound quality? Can you compare them to more expensive earbuds like Etymotics or Shure? I have 3 sets of custom earmolds that ranged from $200 to almost $400. I would love to find some that sound as good, for a lot less money. I'd really like to get my g/f a set to use with her Sena Bluetooth headset, so she can hear me better when we're talking over the intercom and hear her music better.
Racer, Drummer, Bassist, Software Engineer
StuartV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
GISdood
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 855
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I have these:

They come with a variety of eartips. I use the squishy foam ones

I have the same earphones, but I like the 3-flanged eartips.
GISdood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:05 PM   #9
Flightar
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
I have etymotic er-6's and love them
Flightar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:36 PM   #10
psyco1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 210
Earbuds just sit in the outer ear loosely and don't block out any noise. In Ear Monitors, or IEM's are designed to insert into the ear canal and make a seal, in fact, you'll lose most of your bass without the seal. That seal's also where they get the ability to isolate you from the ambient noise. Most are universal, meaning they usually come with an assortment of different tips to fit more people. Here's a thread on head-fi forums with reviews of a couple hundred different universal IEM's. http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/mult...added-11-29-12 Custom IEM's are just that, they take a mold of your ear and make a custom fitting. They tend to be more expensive than universals, but the people that have them seem to love them. Here's a thread about Custom IEM's. http://www.head-fi.org/t/541494/mult...2#post_7302110
psyco1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
Plane Dr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 840
I used the etymotic ER 6i's for a long time around 4 years and love them (I used the 3 flange tips). I use them with a jabra bluetooth dogtag (street, it had a less cool name before) that way I could have the phone in the RAM mount with no wires. The wires were a bit of a PITA still though.

I now use a Scala G9, earplugs and scala cranked. I can also take work calls on the way home, if you are doing less than 80 mph the boss doesn't know!

The etymotics are great on the airplane as well. Drowns out the screaming kids. So they are good value. Watch for a sale on Amazon.
86 RG500WW (gone)

Bikes are like women. What you think you want, and what you want, change after the first ride.
Plane Dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #12
UtahFox OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-town dirt dude View Post

Yep, those sure look like what I saw him wearing. Thanks for the link, I'm going to give them a try.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #13
UtahFox OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Gone View Post
I have these:

They come with a variety of eartips. I use the squishy foam ones, which reduce noise even better than my -33db shooting earplugs. I wear them all the time except for very short trips. Plugged into my phone, I have music whenever I want, and the Navigation app on my phone even gives me turn-by-turn directions with a very sexy British female voice, which I usually ignore because I'm too busy trying to figure out what the sexy British lady looks like.

For me, worth every penny.
Those look really good. The only question is how much do they move around when you put your helmet on?
Old 11-30-2012, 06:41 PM   #14
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,513
Custom molded with replaceable speakers, I had mine done by an audiologist. They are perfect for all day riding with or without tunes and helmet off and on doesn't dislodge them.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:02 AM   #15
Mr_Gone
FIGJAM

Oddometer: 7,580
Quote:
Originally Posted by UtahFox View Post
Those look really good. The only question is how much do they move around when you put your helmet on?
They don't move at all for me. There's sort of a trick putting on my helmet because I also wear glasses you have to just find the right angle but I don't have any problems with the helmet pulling them out of my ears.

Once your helmet in on, they're very solid. Like I said, I use the foam tips, so I can't speak to how the flanged tips fit, but I suspect they'll stay in your ears just fine. I really do love these things. Music on a ride is awesome. I don't think I could live without them now.