ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2013, 08:06 PM   #616
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
looks like I missed a fun ride today! When is there going to be a NW-RI / NE-CT camp-n-ride? I feel like this is the year!
Now that the heat appears to be gone for the rest of the year, and work (I love my job, I hate the hours) is slowing down until fall, and the GS is running strong again, and and and... Basically what I'm trying to say is anyone want to go camping soon? Dont care where, dont really care when. Vacation was a massive bust, need to get out again...

And yeah, I know this is the SBCOR, dont tell Mathilda, she thinks she's small....
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:22 PM   #617
alcontrast OP
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilight Error View Post
And yeah, I know this is the SBCOR, dont tell Mathilda, she thinks she's small....
It's not so much about the size of the bike. More about how it's ridden! Although the bigger they are the harder they fall...

I'm itching for some camping and riding as well.. I could do a legit c-n-r in my area (East Haddam, CT) in a few weeks. I was hoping to do so this weekend but Somers Fun Run happened to be the same weekend so I held off to see what interest there was and then the campground I was planning to use was totally reserved so it was a no go.. Booking a few sites 2-3 weeks in advance shouldn't be a problem though...

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:08 AM   #618
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,333
Quote:
Now that the heat appears to be gone for the rest of the year...

Uh oh, she jinxed it. I'd be up for a CnR in September. I'll probably do one in Pachaug geared towards the skinny bikes, but I'd also be up for a less hard core ride in Al's area or the Quiet Corner.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:24 AM   #619
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
Uh oh, she jinxed it. I'd be up for a CnR in September. I'll probably do one in Pachaug geared towards the skinny bikes, but I'd also be up for a less hard core ride in Al's area or the Quiet Corner.
If there is any interest, I'll see what I can do about getting a weekend reserved at my family's place in the Adirondacks sometime next month. Its in Ohio, on the southwestern edge of the park, about an hour north of Utica.
Old 08-18-2013, 08:15 AM   #620
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,260
all the pics (unedited! but fun to see yourself)

at the meeting spot (which takes much longer to get to from Providence than I remembered...why does it take 20 minutes to get free of the grasp of sprawl?)

TurtleDub goofin' on Washington Highway

Mrs Trip and the wee TW200

the gang heading through the only covered bridge in little Rhody

levain on his WR250 with Rhode Trip heading up behind on the mighty TW200

can't believe there was water out there ... Rhode Trip

one of many random stops ... tmlee on the frightening Husky TE310 (I rode it for a bit and it's so buzzy, let's just say a bit too buzzy)

we pop outta the woods right at these guys' house ... they were sitting in the shade under an awning attached to an old RV, drinking cheap beer and I'm sure telling big lies. They gave us some info on more trails, so big thumbs up!

this puddle usually takes quite some time to get around, but lack of rain made it a piece of cake ... that's Mrs Trip getting 'er done

i really like this pic of levain

tmlee at the same spot taking a most unusual line

our fearless leader, jgormley, on the WR250R

where are we? where are going? jgormley plottin' the route

the T-Dub gang splits off toward the end of the day to do the smart thing ... head home! as I was about halfway through the next section, I decided they made the better decision.

i made tmlee go first so i could determine which line not to take

absolutely LOVE this pic of jgormely ... such a splash!

levain got a little bit muddy ... really great to have you along!

when i got home, cheesebot was just finishing up some work on the R75/5. i was weeding in the yard when i hear a bike honking at me. i now the /5's horn doesn't work, so i look up and it's MsLizVT! she was down to moto ref a bicycle race in Pawcatuck. screams of delight all 'round. the best part is she entered the driveway right behind our new tenant who thought she was being pulled over by the police!

I'm happy with the new sprockets on the DR. Didn't lose too much off the low end but much more comfy on the top as evidenced by riding Route 6 home following levain. The new rear tire though, I'm unconvinced. [I switched from an MT21 back to a T63 to try to get longer wear on the road. Kept an MT21 up front.] I had about 4-5 serious Oh Shit! moments. I suppose had I aired down it would have performed better in the rocks. At least I didn't hit any of Thad's friends, but did wind up on the ground a few times. I'm blaming the tires and not my kick-ass skillz.
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:17 AM   #621
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Camping

I'm up for a CNR, but can we keep the weekend of September 14-15 free as that's the Berkshire Triple. cheese & I would love to have others join us, well, I would, as I'm looking for riding buddies on the D/S ride. I really can't pick my bike up by myself when it's flat on the ground.

Old 08-18-2013, 08:57 AM   #622
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post
I'm up for a CNR, but can we keep the weekend of September 14-15 free as that's the Berkshire Triple. cheese & I would love to have others join us, well, I would, as I'm looking for riding buddies on the D/S ride. I really can't pick my bike up by myself when it's flat on the ground.
Will there be cake? My birthday is the 16th, sounds like a fine way to mark it.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:14 AM   #623
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
all the pics (unedited! but fun to see yourself)

at the meeting spot (which takes much longer to get to from Providence than I remembered...why does it take 20 minutes to get free of the grasp of sprawl?)
Nice write up!

I will be posting some video... it has you riding a rocky section...
I have the T63s front and back... seems like a good tire to me...
Old 08-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #624
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Yesterday's Ride

Some highlights from yesterday...

Old 08-18-2013, 12:55 PM   #625
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,333
My September is pretty wide open right now. Ohio NY would be awesome.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:46 PM   #626
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
Well Lolita and Cheeser. You guys missed out today! Lester, Al and I met a real live TV star and we got the pic to prove it. Out of know where there he is! He was at the Brit Jam and we will provide proof as soon as Lester can figure out how to do it. Oh well, we looked ALL over for you two and even saw a Transalp with twisted stickers on it but it obviously wasn't you guys cause you were off galavanting with another group of Philistines!
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:50 PM   #627
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
My September is pretty wide open right now. Ohio NY would be awesome.
I'll shoot an email to my mom, she keeps the schedule for the place and will know when it isn't being used.

Late in the month isn't a problem - the place has a good wood stove for heat, generator electricity, running water & gas stove/water heater.

Twilight Error screwed with this post 08-18-2013 at 04:03 PM
Old 08-18-2013, 03:51 PM   #628
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post
Well Lolita and Cheeser. You guys missed out today! Lester, Al and I met a real live TV star and we got the pic to prove it. Out of know where there he is! He was at the Brit Jam and we will provide proof as soon as Lester can figure out how to do it. Oh well, we looked ALL over for you two and even saw a Transalp with twisted stickers on it but it obviously wasn't you guys cause you were off galavanting with another group of Philistines!
yeah sorry. I finally got around to mapping out the route around noon and when I saw it was gonna take us 2 hours (ya gotta remember who I'm riding with :) which was meant we'd be arriving shortly before the end, we opted for a ride down to Aidan's in Bristol for a toasted special and a pint of cider. Man, Al, I don't know how you do this drive on a regular basis.

Old 08-18-2013, 05:23 PM   #629
Happy Seal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,538
Quote:
yeah sorry. I finally got around to mapping out the route around noon and when I saw it was gonna take us 2 hours (ya gotta remember who I'm riding with :) which was meant we'd be arriving shortly before the end, we opted for a ride down to Aidan's in Bristol for a toasted special and a pint of cider. Man, Al, I don't know how you do this drive on a regular basis.
It's all good. I was looking forward to saying hi to you both! Instead we said Hi to Barry! . I love that show!

Me, Dan, and Barry!
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 06:29 PM   #630
lester3
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
camping

Quote:
Now that the heat appears to be gone for the rest of the year, and work (I love my job, I hate the hours) is slowing down until fall, and the GS is running strong again, and and and... Basically what I'm trying to say is anyone want to go camping soon? Dont care where, dont really care when. Vacation was a massive bust, need to get out again...

I also am wanting to do some camping, anywhere
lester3 is offline   Reply With Quote