ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #646
Drewha
Thunderbirds Are Go
 
Drewha's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Tolland,Ct
Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenstitches View Post
Didja get your Duc going again?
No , no news on Ducati yet Tom. It'll probably be a winter project. A used motor and internals swap will be the way to go.
__________________
08 Husqvarna TE 610
04 Ducati ST3
Drewha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:41 PM   #647
jgormley
Studly Adventurer
 
jgormley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Lincoln, RI
Oddometer: 710
Bike Choice

I have been trying to talk my neighbor into getting a bike.
He is interested in woods/trail riding, no highway or long trips.

I thought a WRR would be a good bike for him to start out on,
but he is thinking a new KTM 500 exc would be a good choice.

Is this too much power to start out on?
__________________
My YouTube
jgormley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #648
akarob
Green Cantern
 
akarob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Skuncasville, CT
Oddometer: 7,377
Id suggest a KTM 350, but one certainly could learn on a 500. Its just a beast of a bike. No need to upgrade after getting that. Honestly, if he wants to enjoy the learning process more, a previous gen KLX250 would be a great start.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #649
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly
 
Twilight Error's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: The Submarine Mines
Oddometer: 22,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by akarob View Post
Id suggest a KTM 350, but one certainly could learn on a 500. Its just a beast of a bike. No need to upgrade after getting that. Honestly, if he wants to enjoy the learning process more, a previous gen KLX250 would be a great start.
The learning curve would be steep and loose, with lots of opportunity to break something expensive and/or painful. Smaller really *is* better (says the GS rider...)
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 03:54 PM   #650
blitchfield
Gnarly Adventurer
 
blitchfield's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Near The Notch, CT
Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
I have been trying to talk my neighbor into getting a bike.
He is interested in woods/trail riding, no highway or long trips.

I thought a WRR would be a good bike for him to start out on,
but he is thinking a new KTM 500 exc would be a good choice.

Is this too much power to start out on?
Does he have any riding experience? Even a m/c endorsement? Everyone seems to want or think they need a big bike instead of something smaller and moderately powered to learn on. I just don't understand. Assuming you need street legal I would push him toward a crf250L (new starting around $4500.00) or an older xr250L (or something similar), either of which will be easy on the wallet and allow for plenty of fun while riding. After a year or two trade up to something more fitting to the acquired skill level, but wtf do I know??
blitchfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:16 PM   #651
jgormley
Studly Adventurer
 
jgormley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Lincoln, RI
Oddometer: 710
He does have a m/c endorsement... but is starting out...

I was thinking 500 is too much power too...
maybe a new ktm 350 out of the box is not that crazy...

I am in the school of trying and buying up...vs. buying new at the top..once...

His big assumption is that if he wants to
sell in a year or two... it will hold its value..
__________________
My YouTube
jgormley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #652
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly
 
Twilight Error's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: The Submarine Mines
Oddometer: 22,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
He does have a m/c endorsement... but is starting out...

I was thinking 500 is too much power too...
maybe a new ktm 350 out of the box is not that crazy...

I am in the school of trying and buying up...vs. buying new at the top..once...

His big assumption is that if he wants to
sell in a year or two... it will hold its value..
If that is his thinking, he's in the wrong segment of the hobby - he needs to get into cruisers. Riding in the woods = dropping your bike in the woods, as we all know, and not every drop is gentle on to a soft surface.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 04:37 PM   #653
Happy Seal
User Awaiting Email Confirmation
 
Happy Seal's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: CT.
Oddometer: 2,536
There is no such thing as retaining value on a dualsport. He will lose 15 hundie right off the top. Hemay get in the woods and realize that sweatin in the swamp with flies stuck to his nose is not what he wants to do on a weekend.

A used street legal bike to learn on and then if he likes it in a year, upgrade then. Jmho.

Good luck.
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:33 PM   #654
akarob
Green Cantern
 
akarob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Skuncasville, CT
Oddometer: 7,377
I call dibs on it when he's too scared to ride it anymore.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:40 PM   #655
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly
 
Twilight Error's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: The Submarine Mines
Oddometer: 22,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Seal View Post
There is no such thing as retaining value on a dualsport. He will lose 15 hundie right off the top. Hemay get in the woods and realize that sweatin in the swamp with flies stuck to his nose is not what he wants to do on a weekend.

A used street legal bike to learn on and then if he likes it in a year, upgrade then. Jmho.

Good luck.
Or worse, he's just hydro'd his engine and turned it into an expensive haul out of the woods.

The only DS rigs that retain any value are the big beemers, and only then if they aren't really ever taken off-road. I doubt I could get anyone to take mine without having to pay *them*...
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #656
lilolita
fahr mit mir
 
lilolita's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Probbydense, RI
Oddometer: 1,278
Have him come to the next CNR to see a bunch of bikes. He may be able to try some out if he brings some good bourbon or scotch.

I vote for cheap DR350
__________________
Founding Member, OPB [Other People's Bikes]
Scoot Commute: Getting to and from work on 10 inch wheels
FLy & RIde: Florida to Rhode Island on a Husky TE610
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 05:59 PM   #657
jgormley
Studly Adventurer
 
jgormley's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2011
Location: Lincoln, RI
Oddometer: 710
Does look like a sweet ride...

__________________
My YouTube
jgormley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #658
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly
 
Twilight Error's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: The Submarine Mines
Oddometer: 22,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post
Have him come to the next CNR to see a bunch of bikes. He may be able to try some out if he brings some good bourbon or scotch.

I vote for cheap DR350
I'd even let him spin around on the GS, if only to learn why lighter is better.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #659
levain
STILL Jim Williams
 
levain's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Providence, RI
Oddometer: 6,948
Talk him into your wrr, and get yourself into something else
__________________
Click Here!
2012 Triumph Tiger 800 XC
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1971 Lambretta DL
levain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 04:33 PM   #660
lilolita
fahr mit mir
 
lilolita's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Probbydense, RI
Oddometer: 1,278
ok kids, Berkshire Triple. Ride is Sunday, September 15. Do you want to primitive camp at the start (Saturday night) or get a spot(s) at Prospect Mountain like we did last spring? I know some of you darlings need showers and flush toilets.

I wouldn't mind two nights up there (camp Friday & Saturday nights), if only to get away from the trash-throwing pseudo-punks of south Prov.

What say all of you?
__________________
Founding Member, OPB [Other People's Bikes]
Scoot Commute: Getting to and from work on 10 inch wheels
FLy & RIde: Florida to Rhode Island on a Husky TE610
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014