ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2013, 05:02 PM   #661
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 703
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post
ok kids, Berkshire Triple. Ride is Sunday, September 15. Do you want to primitive camp at the start (Saturday night) or get a spot(s) at Prospect Mountain like we did last spring? I know some of you darlings need showers and flush toilets.

I wouldn't mind two nights up there (camp Friday & Saturday nights), if only to get away from the trash-throwing pseudo-punks of south Prov.

What say all of you?
Prospect Mt is ok with me... I will be staying Saturday night but can chip in for two nights. I will trailer in..hope to get there early enough (by 1pm) for a afternoon ride if anyone is interested in one...
Old 08-26-2013, 05:10 PM   #662
alcontrast OP
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,546
Triple.

I should be in for the Triple unless I do a trip out to Seattle that weekend. If the Seattle trip doesn't happen I should be GO for the Triple.. Ride up to take the bigger bike on the DS ride (or at least try it) or haul up the little bike for the DS ride with some hero sections perhaps..

As for a bike for a new woods rider... If a consideration is the bike holding value the only trail bikes that hold their value are bikes that are already rather beat up when you bought them, to some extent that even works for street bikes.. Tell him to find a decent condition 200cc-500cc DS bike, under 300 pounds, and less than 10 years old, for around $2500 or less.. (sound about right adv-ers?) Ride it, beat the hell out of it for a year.. and if he wants to upgrade to a new bike he could probably sell it for close to what he paid and will have a much better idea of what features he really wants out of a new DS bike.. Longer range, better suspension, lighter weight, a 6th gear, 2stroke / 4stroke, a substantial enough sub-frame for panniers, etc etc.

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:32 PM   #663
Drewha
Thunderbirds Are Go

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
Does look like a sweet ride...

CPB has mentioned he may be selling his slightly used EXC 500. But that bike is by no means an entry level bike. Lilolita nicknamed it " The Devil" and couldn't wait to get off it. It is a handful and must be respected in reguards to the power output for these N.E. trails. I rode it, and it is like a handgrenade with handlebars. Not for the faint of heart or wrist.
Old 08-26-2013, 05:38 PM   #664
Drewha
Thunderbirds Are Go

Oddometer: 506
Quote:
ok kids, Berkshire Triple. Ride is Sunday, September 15. Do you want to primitive camp at the start (Saturday night) or get a spot(s) at Prospect Mountain like we did last spring? I know some of you darlings need showers and flush toilets.

I wouldn't mind two nights up there (camp Friday & Saturday nights), if only to get away from the trash-throwing pseudo-punks of south Prov.

What say all of you?
I'm in for Sat. Either trailer up or truck it. We cant have a CnR without a fire. I'd be in for Prospect. Chili anyone?
Old 08-26-2013, 05:56 PM   #665
Twilight Error
Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer: 22,454
Quote:

What say all of you?
Camping on site would be difficult because of the ban on open fires, so Prospect Mtn seems like the better choice for that alone.

I sent my entry and liability release in this morning, here's to hoping nothing comes up between now and then...
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:27 PM   #666
akarob
Green Cantern

Oddometer: 7,372
Considering the Big bike dirty ride. I have heard that the skinny bike route is really an handful and I have nothing to prove after this past Sunday. A relaxing ride and campout is just what I need. So, consider me a solid maybe for riding up and camping off the 990.

Seriously, I went down 3 times Sunday on the loop, which is unlike me. Nothing bad, just pride bruised.
akarob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:27 PM   #667
alcontrast OP
at least I'm trying

Oddometer: 1,546
Unfortunately I am already out...

I just booked a flight to Seattle and back for under $400 and while I land in Providence on the 14th it's at 8:40pm so even if I left my bike at the airport fully ready to ride to camp Saturday night that would just be a ridiculous endeavor..

I'm actually sort of tempted to do it. Mostly for the ridiculous factor; but I seriously doubt I will find the motivation.. so count me out.. It sounds like a great ride and I'll be sorry to miss it!

When in doubt, gas it. It will either fix the problem, or at the very least end the suspense.

07 650GS / 05 DRZ400S / 72 CB350 (that hasn't run since shortly after I bought it)
alcontrast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #668
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcontrast View Post
Unfortunately I am already out...

I just booked a flight to Seattle and back for under $400 and while I land in Providence on the 14th it's at 8:40pm so even if I left my bike at the airport fully ready to ride to camp Saturday night that would just be a ridiculous endeavor..

I'm actually sort of tempted to do it. Mostly for the ridiculous factor; but I seriously doubt I will find the motivation.. so count me out.. It sounds like a great ride and I'll be sorry to miss it!
but it will only be 5:40 Seattle time....
Old 08-26-2013, 07:53 PM   #669
tmlee
Enigma

Oddometer: 510
Quote:

What say all of you?
Prospect Mountain sounds good. I would probably arrive before dark Saturday evening. Someone save me a space for my tent!
- Robert Frost
tmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:21 AM   #670
Rhode trip
guided by voices

Oddometer: 715
I'm still hoping to be Rocky Mountain High by mid-September, but if the stars don't align, then me and the Mrs would be up for Prospect Mtn.

We did the Adv ride last year and had a good time. Might consider the dual sport ride this time.

http://www.LapelPinPlanet.com
Rhode trip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:04 AM   #671
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Dual Sport Helment

Just thought I would ask for comments on DS Helments...

I am looking for something under $200...
I tried the AFX FX-39 at Rayzee's in a XL but it seemed too tight and they did not recommend going a size larger...
Old 09-04-2013, 07:03 PM   #672
bomber1965
Duel

Oddometer: 2,787
I always find inexpensive prices at Garys street and trail in Tiverton RI.

Gary’s Street and Trail 43 Main Road Tiverton R.I. 401-625-5115

http://garysstreetandtrail.com/wp-co...5/GEDC0899.jpg

bomber1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 04:06 AM   #673
jgormley
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber1965 View Post
I always find inexpensive prices at Garys street and trail in Tiverton RI.

Gary’s Street and Trail 43 Main Road Tiverton R.I. 401-625-5115

http://garysstreetandtrail.com/wp-co...5/GEDC0899.jpg

Never heard of this place before... thanks..
Old 09-08-2013, 04:10 PM   #674
tmlee
Enigma

Oddometer: 510
First Dirt

My 19 year old daughter recently passed the basic rider course and got her motorcycle license. Today I took her out on her first dirt ride. She rode my wife's Honda CRF 230L and made it home with just a few new scratches on the bike and one bent shift lever. Regardless, my daughter never quit smiling!

Blitzkrieg Trail
She made it about 100 yards off the tarmac before her first drop, the result of an awkward start

Blitzkrieg Trail
Blitzkrieg Trail

Arcadia Management Area
Taking a break

Oopsie #2
Still smiling!

Breakheart Hill Road
Breakheart Hill Road

Oopsie #3
Damn Gravel

We had a great time!
- Robert Frost
tmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 05:07 PM   #675
Happy Seal
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

Oddometer: 2,536
Good stuff Terry! Damn, she keeps it upright more than Lolitta!

Rider/shooter, someone is gonna be a happy man. Don't worry, I am married!
Happy Seal is offline   Reply With Quote