ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 03:26 PM   #106
akarob
Green Cantern
 
akarob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Skuncasville, CT
Oddometer: 7,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post
I got me a camera that automatically adds GPS info, I'm going to be cautious when I post up pics.
If you upload pictures to the hosting site imgur.com, all the meta data is removed and a new random file name is assigned. It's one of the good hosting sites.
akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 03:53 PM   #107
Richklr650
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Dudley ma.
Oddometer: 170
[QUOTE=jgormley;20227369]I've been staying out of the RI and Mass woods due to hunting season...
I ran into some a few weeks ago and they were nice about it...
but I didn't think they all would be that way...

CT has no hunting on Sunday..... Thompson is in CT.. right?[/QUOTE
yup Thompson CT
Richklr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #108
akarob
Green Cantern
 
akarob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Skuncasville, CT
Oddometer: 7,469
One comment on the use of the trails during hunting season...

If you're on single track, you should expect some upset hunters. Other than that, riding on the main roads/trails, you should be fine. Hunters should never shoot across a main road or trail. There's just no excuse for it.

That being said, you should still avoid the first few weekends of shotgun season.
akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:40 PM   #109
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer
 
MATPOC's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Providence, near Hope
Oddometer: 789
first day of shotgun season is like d-day, most experienced hunters I know avoid the day or the entire shotgun season all together, they just stick to archery and muzzle.

As I posted on another thread, it is MANDATORY in RI to wear safety orange gear while on state land during hunting season which is about 6 month long. You must wear at least a vest during regular season and also a hat during entire deer season (or shotgun season?)
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 PM   #110
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ken F's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Wallingford
Oddometer: 382
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgormley View Post
I've been staying out of the RI and Mass woods due to hunting season...
I ran into some a few weeks ago and they were nice about it...
but I didn't think they all would be that way...

CT has no hunting on Sunday..... Thompson is in CT.. right?
Some hunters don't mind because we flush the deer to them sometimes. Others not so happy and. Cause trouble. I avoid some places on hunting days
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:46 PM   #111
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer
 
MATPOC's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Providence, near Hope
Oddometer: 789
You MAY get a fine, me and Maat came up on some friendly hunters in Coventry who were telling us that Game warden (or some other authority figure) just fined some dirt riders for not wearing safety orange gear...
MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:49 PM   #112
V8
?
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: CT
Oddometer: 9,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by CT DUAL-SPORT View Post
Most of us enjoy re-living the day in photos and videos. Your point is well taken though... we all need to consider the "exposure" of our videos and pics. I took my last video down and will re-edit before posting again.
This site has more lurkers than members on at most times.
Went through a lot of crap years ago, on a 4x4 site when
people in N.E. started posting vids of rides in N.H. woods.
Treehuggers joined the site and caused enough of
a sh#tfest that after a few months the owner of the site
shut the site down. I'm not saying that would happen here,
but when you are riding in "uncharted" territories, just
remember that the pics and vids are on here for ALL to see.
Have fun riding. Some times keeping the details of the ride
offline are just better for all. This is my personal experience,
do what you like.
V8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:12 PM   #113
Rusty Rocket
Life behind "Bars"
 
Rusty Rocket's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Trying to leave CT
Oddometer: 8,599
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 View Post
This site has more lurkers than members on at most times.
Went through a lot of crap years ago, on a 4x4 site when
people in N.E. started posting vids of rides in N.H. woods.
Treehuggers joined the site and caused enough of
a sh#tfest that after a few months the owner of the site
shut the site down. I'm not saying that would happen here,
but when you are riding in "uncharted" territories, just
remember that the pics and vids are on here for ALL to see.
Have fun riding. Some times keeping the details of the ride
offline are just better for all. This is my personal experience,
do what you like.
That is close to what happened in Savoy, MA state forest.

Some quad guys posted vids of themselves purposely getting stuck in mud and spinning and roosting before getting winched out and then the next one dives in. Greenies took the vid to state forest people and got the entire state forest closed to ohv's. Posting vids is nice, but avoid giving specifics if possible.
__________________
In the beginning, there was nothing. Even That exploded
2009 DR650
..1972 Penton Six-Days ..1971 Suzuki TS185.. 2005 KTM 400exc
Member of: AMA, NETRA, Blue Ribbon Coalition, CCCofVT, Berkshire TR, CT Ramblers
Rusty Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:28 PM   #114
Gooch
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Gooch's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: East of the river
Oddometer: 275
Just a general take on the subject.

There are pitifully few places to legally ride off-road in southern New England. A big reason for that is abusive use of once-open public lands and general hooliganism on private property. I think people rightfully defend what in most cases took either incredible foresight or incredible energy and dollars to create and I tend not to hold it against (perhaps) over-zealous self-appointed guardians of our open spaces.

That said, I really, really like riding off the road and the more of it I do, the more of it I want to do.

One of the things that I've really come to appreciate about this site and the riders that I've met through it is a general ethos of "soft impact" on both the trails we use/land we cross and on the other people that like to use it (or who own it).

In northern New England where I used to live there are very productive cooperative agreements between snow-mobile clubs and networks of private landowners. Increasingly, those networks have begun to expand to include ATV riders -- I think in large part because a lot of snow-machiners like to trundle about on 4 wheels in the warmer months and already had the connections.

If we were more organized it might be to our advantage to start building relationships with private individuals. Another idea would be to try accessing Northeast Utilities via their newly formed land trust with an argument that limited, licensed access for responsible riders would be both good public relations and a modest source of revenue.

In any event, I plan to continue riding wherever I think I can reasonably get away with it -- and by reasonably, I mean "offending as few people as possible."
__________________
"I almost got side swiped by a guy on a Honda Shadow that was wearing an H-D tassel laden jacket. I was on my H-D at the time and wearing a Kawasaki T shirt. I wasn't sure which came closer to killing me,the near accident or the irony." wishin4woods

DirtyDog:
"Riding a KLR in an enduro is like trying to put a bear in a wetsuit."
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 PM   #115
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ken F's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Wallingford
Oddometer: 382
http://newlondon.craigslist.org/mcy/3467148476.html
I know someone was looking for KTM xcw
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:10 PM   #116
Ken F
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Ken F's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Wallingford
Oddometer: 382
http://newyork.craigslist.org/fct/mcy/3461954181.html

Few bikes I would like but bad timing for me.bet can bargain
Ken F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 04:30 AM   #117
AMCJEEP
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: CT
Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
Just a general take on the subject.

There are pitifully few places to legally ride off-road in southern New England. A big reason for that is abusive use of once-open public lands and general hooliganism on private property. I think people rightfully defend what in most cases took either incredible foresight or incredible energy and dollars to create and I tend not to hold it against (perhaps) over-zealous self-appointed guardians of our open spaces.

That said, I really, really like riding off the road and the more of it I do, the more of it I want to do.

One of the things that I've really come to appreciate about this site and the riders that I've met through it is a general ethos of "soft impact" on both the trails we use/land we cross and on the other people that like to use it (or who own it).

In northern New England where I used to live there are very productive cooperative agreements between snow-mobile clubs and networks of private landowners. Increasingly, those networks have begun to expand to include ATV riders -- I think in large part because a lot of snow-machiners like to trundle about on 4 wheels in the warmer months and already had the connections.

If we were more organized it might be to our advantage to start building relationships with private individuals. Another idea would be to try accessing Northeast Utilities via their newly formed land trust with an argument that limited, licensed access for responsible riders would be both good public relations and a modest source of revenue.

In any event, I plan to continue riding wherever I think I can reasonably get away with it -- and by reasonably, I mean "offending as few people as possible."
There are lots of clubs and organizations that try just that. In the 4x4 vehicle world as well as the snowmobile, and dirtbike and atv world. There have been some organizations that have tried to unite all of them but failed in the past, Like RIOHVA , COALT, CTU etc.

It makes sense for something like this to happen, I would love to see it happen, but I think there is to much strife between all the different groups still. One group blames the other for the closure and or destruction of the trails. Where I feel if there is unity between them, the trails could be protected more, maintained properly kept clean, stop trail braiding etc and it would be better for everyone involved.

Hopefully one day this will happen. I would be happy to own all types of outdoor recreation vehicles but it does not make sense now for me living in CT. I recently sold my Jeep because there is so little access and most trails I had to trailer to were about 2 hours away. My dirtbike right now I have more access and it is easier to bring it someplace. Hopefully this gets better than worse in the future.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver Wendell Holmes
Men do not quit playing because they grow old; they grow old because they quit playing.
AMCJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #118
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer
 
MATPOC's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2011
Location: Providence, near Hope
Oddometer: 789
It's alive!!!
Can't wait to try this out outside the parkinglot

MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #119
Richklr650
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Dudley ma.
Oddometer: 170
that thing is awesome
Richklr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 05:12 AM   #120
akarob
Green Cantern
 
akarob's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Skuncasville, CT
Oddometer: 7,469
Yea, cool bike. Probably cheap on insurance, gas and taxes too.
akarob is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 04:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014