ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2014, 06:57 PM   #1201
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post
me and the cheese went out for a small bike ride today...sorry we didn't post up and invite y'all, but you're not our scootah trash brethren [MATPOC, it was last minute.]
I was busy in MD crashing on Minibikes...

My helmet cam screen captures

Sandwiched

Crashed (cold tire)

MATPOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #1202
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,135
Looks like a fun day!
Old 04-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #1203
SDIZZY
N00b

Oddometer: 203
dirt

Finally went out Sat and got the DR into the dirt and mud around town.

SDIZZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #1204
flyinfatman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATPOC View Post
here's uncut clip of Maat learning to fly

Where is this area located. Looks like alot of fun!
Old 04-29-2014, 05:34 PM   #1205
go2cnavy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
MATPOC,

SHIFT .... then SHIFT some more ...then shift again.

Try to ride a gear higher than normal and manage your power by feathering the clutch and SHIFTING

990A / 450 EXC R/ 250 EXC/ 450R - for sale
go2cnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #1206
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinfatman View Post
Where is this area located. Looks like alot of fun!
Pawtucket/Attleboro line off 152, I'd have to show you, easy to get to but no address :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by go2cnavy View Post
MATPOC,

SHIFT .... then SHIFT some more ...then shift again.

Try to ride a gear higher than normal and manage your power by feathering the clutch and SHIFTING
I have been trying to slip the clutch on the KTM and it seems to work sometimes, at 4/20 CnR I was doing much better than a month before, could almost hang on to fast guys for few minutes, still need more practice, also recently learned that I need to keep my elbows up, that was big help

Tried slipping the clutch when I was racing minibikes this weekend (mainly NSR 50, 4 strokes had wide powerband) and it was a total failure, guess it only works if you can get the tire spinning?
Old 04-30-2014, 11:00 AM   #1207
go2cnavy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 502
Quote:
Pawtucket/Attleboro line off 152, I'd have to show you, easy to get to but no address :)

I have been trying to slip the clutch on the KTM and it seems to work sometimes, at 4/20 CnR I was doing much better than a month before, could almost hang on to fast guys for few minutes, still need more practice, also recently learned that I need to keep my elbows up, that was big help

Tried slipping the clutch when I was racing minibikes this weekend (mainly NSR 50, 4 strokes had wide powerband) and it was a total failure, guess it only works if you can get the tire spinning?
It takes a lot of getting used to, but the reason its critical is to either get THE BIKE in the powerband (aka: on the pipe) or keep it there.

Have you adjusted your power valve at all? There are multiple spring settings which require very minor wrenching , but you can adjust the "hit" to come on at low / medium / high in 30 sec or less on the trail.

Happy to help you get the bike set up if needed.

990A / 450 EXC R/ 250 EXC/ 450R - for sale
go2cnavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 08:17 PM   #1208
Piston
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Quote:

I suck at that.
“What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race.”
Piston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 06:50 AM   #1209
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by go2cnavy View Post
It takes a lot of getting used to, but the reason its critical is to either get THE BIKE in the powerband (aka: on the pipe) or keep it there.

Have you adjusted your power valve at all? There are multiple spring settings which require very minor wrenching , but you can adjust the "hit" to come on at low / medium / high in 30 sec or less on the trail.

Happy to help you get the bike set up if needed.
I know about PV and the springs/settings etc, but I never touched it, just happy to put-put around and not fall off as often. Was pleasantly surprised with how wide it the powerband on this bike when I swapped the pipe: old one was cracked in few places and neck was crushed around the frame tube so it didn't have good top end, was not expecting that FMF will have all the same power down low and crazy top end that it has.

I would love to mess around with PV settings, but I am away for the next few weekends, might return early this week so I can ride Sunday but that is very tentative, will probably be too tired from the trip

next few weeks are out for sure
Old 05-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #1210
SDIZZY
N00b

Hairy Coos!

Went riding around today, stopped for burger and watched some of the Bruins game, then back out to a bunch of random places. Stopped on the way home to visit these Scottish Highland cattle, or as we wee Scots know them as Hairy Coos.

No dirt today, maybe tomorrow.

Old 05-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #1211
alexcorral
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
We got about 3 hours of great trail riding… The weather was perfect!
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 01:44 PM   #1212
SDIZZY
N00b

blessing of the bikes

First time going to the Pvd Blessing of the bikes, I think I was the only DS.

Tries to represent by parking in the "woods"

Made sure to capture this for the scooter trash

Old 05-04-2014, 02:34 PM   #1213
lilolita
fahr mit mir

Oddometer: 1,275
Nice pics sdiz! Here's hoping some random water sprinkled over the mighty DR will help keep you safe.

I spent the last two very long days standing in the CCRI parking lot getting 19 people their motorcycle licenses. Thankfully the only one we should be concerned about has no plans to get a bike.

Can't wait for the BBA at this moment. Riding a Honda Rebel for 20 hours in two days will do that to you.
New England to New Scotland

lilolita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 06:19 PM   #1214
MATPOC
Studly Adventurer

You teaching MSF? My friend Igor just got a job there
Old 05-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #1215
alexcorral
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilolita View Post
Nice pics sdiz! Here's hoping some random water sprinkled over the mighty DR will help keep you safe.

I spent the last two very long days standing in the CCRI parking lot getting 19 people their motorcycle licenses. Thankfully the only one we should be concerned about has no plans to get a bike.

Can't wait for the BBA at this moment. Riding a Honda Rebel for 20 hours in two days will do that to you.
I'm heading to Naugatuck Valley Community College on Saturday for 10 hours combined classroom and on-cycle instruction to fulfill the requirements of the State-approved Intermediate Rider Course for licensing. In theory, this is the course for you if "you have some riding experience but would like to improve your braking, turning, evasive maneuvers and learn street strategies”…

It costs a little over half as much as the Basic Course and lasts 12 hours less Not sure which bike to take, but I have to ride in: No hauling bikes/scooters to class on a trailer or truck is permitted.
alexcorral is offline   Reply With Quote