Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 10:46 PM   #16
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestlessRider View Post
8gv:
True, the range on the stock tank is limited but with the killer stock seat I have to get off the bike very often anyway :-). I would like a larger gas tank like the IMS 3 gallon tank but I am a bit wary with how it mounts (I had leakage from my earlier aftermarket tank at the mounting points, scary!). Also too much weight sitting up top can change the handling significantly.
Even stock or auxiliary tanks can leak. I like stopping sometimes every 50-100 miles too, but I can do that even before I need fuel. If I run out of fuel though, I might have to stretch my legs a lot more than I care too.

Quote:
Kommando,
Agreed, tank panniers will most likely get in the way when I am riding with a pillion. A front rack would be superb! I didn't see anything specifically regarding that on Turbocity's web page but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough. I want to move my foot pegs a little lower and to the front as well since I have to move a little forward on the seat when I have a pillion. Did you do a custom job to lower and move your foot pegs or is there a vendor somewhere?
Some tank panniers are worse or better than others for clearing your knees. Mine push my knees out a bit 2up unless I push them way forward, but it's still not really uncomfortable if they do get in the way.

There might be a vendor for moving the KLX pegs, as there are several for the DR, but I just cut an inch out of my brackets and welded them back together. A local welder probably wouldn't charge much at all for this. You might also be able to make or buy additional lowering brackets.

Quote:
RobG:
You sure can fit on the bike if you are going to go solo when I am trying to do this with a pillion:-). By the way I read your posts regarding BMS seats and I am planning to get one done. They quoted $509.0 for a dual seat. I am not sure if they offer ADVrider discounts. It is expensive but it is probably money well spent for touring long distances. Happy wife happy life!
Look at Seat Concepts if you don't need a really specialized seat. They can turn out really nice on the KLX, and cost is much less.

Quote:
JerryH:
You probably hit the nail on the head with the KLR-KLX comparison. At the moment a 1 gallon Rotopax is what I am considering for better range. I am trying to see if a center stand is available for the KLX250 couldn't find anything off the bat online. The Endurostar trail side repair stand seems to be nice. Milk crate seems to be a good option. But being a noob to dual sporting, I always wonder how people get the bike on milk crate, brute force? Also the milk crate can double up as a camp chair:-). I will add thicker inner tubes to my list.

Cheers,
Restless
Endurostar stand gets the job done. I even use mine in the garage, until I can find a lift I like. Be sure to strap the opposite brake! Another thing that makes tire changes easier is having the right supplies...3 spoons/levers, Bead Buddy, stem-fishing tool (BIG help!), valve-core remover, talcum powder, wrenches for axles, and pump. Some people even swear by zip-ties to slip the new tire onto the rim.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #17
RestlessRider OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 209
Sam:
That is a nice windscreen. Something I might consider.

Ntm1973:
My trip is going to be about 2 weeks long, long by my standards :-). The plan is to ride to Tucson, AZ. I plan to ride a mix of 2 lane highways, farm gravel roads and forest service roads. Nothing too hardcore. A larger gas tank is always nice.

Kommando:
True, any tank can leak. I'll have to check with the local welder about moving the foot pegs or adding highway pegs. I think they charge about $80 an hour. The Endurostar trail stand is surely on my list.
RestlessRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #18
Kommando
Grumpy Young Man

Oddometer: 6,415
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestlessRider View Post
Sam:
That is a nice windscreen. Something I might consider.
Many people make their own. Kitty-litter containers and wastepaper baskets are popular sources for donor plastic.

Quote:
Kommando:
True, any tank can leak. I'll have to check with the local welder about moving the foot pegs or adding highway pegs. I think they charge about $80 an hour. The Endurostar trail stand is surely on my list.
I bought Happy Trails touring pegs, and they'd probably work on almost any skid that has a flat surface in the front. You could also probably build something sturdier and/or lighter, pretty easily, for fairly cheap. There are threads on this.

Lowering my passenger pegs 2"-4" was probably the most work, because I had to dig through the metal scrap at work to find something thick enough for brackets.
Kommando is offline   Reply With Quote