ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-28-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
macd7919 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Are you an engineer? Know one?

Hey guys, so I've been hoping to avoid going about this type of thing (posting on forums) but the time has come to lose my pride so to speak. Not to mention in actuality lots of jobs are found through connections so what a better group to connect with right!

As the title states, if you are an engineer, work with engineers or know engineers (preferably mechanical as that's my field) that may be looking to hire someone I would be more than happy to at least give them a call or send my resume. I've of course been applying/looking through all the normal places but unfortunately even after some excellent interviews nothing has come through as of yet.

To be honest I feel a bit embarrassed about asking for help on a "public" forum but after being out of work for a few months it's painfully apparent savings don't last forever and I'd rather lose my pride then lose my house. With that being said, whether you know someone or not, I appreciate you taking the time to read this and I'll even take whatever good karma or wishes of luck you want to throw my way, can't hurt right?!? :) Below is a short list of qualifications, of course I would be happy to go over details but I prefer to not post too much information in a public access area.

Summary of qualifications:

BSME (ABET Accredited)
WA State EIT
10+ Years Field Mechanical Experience (Machinery and Fabrication)
3 Years HVAC Design Engineering Experience (Design through Bidding)

I've worked in a broad range of positions/industries (Automotive to Wastewater treatment), have an excellent set of references, outgoing personality, am very reliable and customer oriented. I am interested in a broad range of subjects but especially those dealing with design work (CAD/Manufacturing/Prototyping/Aftermarket etc) over "number crunching" such as script and the like. I'm not necessarily planted in Seattle but would like to stay in Washington though I would consider positions outside of the state if there was a great fit. Thanks again for any leads or suggestions you may have!

macd7919 screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 12:30 PM
macd7919 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 01:00 AM   #2
huzar
Pastor of Muppets

Oddometer: 2,077
Most of my connections are in software engineering, so I can't be of much help, but rather than making people PM your for it, it would give folks in ME a bit more context if you posted up some description of your skills and experience, maybe a link to a LinkedIn profile or something along those lines? And maybe more about what you're looking for?
huzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 07:36 AM   #3
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,975
ME /EE/PE/ Jobs in Pullman, Wa

Wrong town but here it is:
I checked our company WEB site and there are quite a few openings that look like an ME background would fit.
I work in Lewiston, Id and we also have openings. Our 8 month old 100,000 sf building is too small , adding another 150,000 sf for new processes.
Old 11-29-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Camper292000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Engineers

I am a Mechanical Engineer, in Georgia. I was laid off for 13 months, 1 week, and I was really looking. I've had a job for 1.5 years now in a totally different field and I'm seeing things really looking up in engineering the last 6 months. Well, based on the calls and emails I get about recruiters looking for someone.
I was in machine design my whole career, Acad, SW and Inventor. I'm not a technical writer in the power industry, staring at Word and Excel all day. (I gotta get out of the office scene!!)

OK, so definitely create a LinkedIn profile and share it.
Get a job, ANY job. Somehow that invariably leads to another job. It's weird but seems to be true.
Attend at least one networking group/job (group therapy whining session). Make some contacts and build up the linkedin connections.
When you talk to people, don't use the shotgun, use the rifle. I mean: say specifically what you are looking for, not just a job. Some grandfatherly recruiter told me this and not sure if correct.
Not to blast you here, but your above email is a good try, but a fail (no offense). Just that of all the peoples that looked at it don't know where you are looking for work (relo??), what you are looking for, and what your 3 top skills are.

good luck. You are not a failure, it's a tough time for guys. Get out the house and have lunch with a friend. Just get out and talk to people every week. And responding to ADVERTISED JOBS like on CL just sucks.

Don't forget the book WHAT COLOR IS MY PARACHUTE.

Enjoy this time too (if that makes any sense!)
Camper292000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:22 AM   #5
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper292000 View Post
And responding to ADVERTISED JOBS like on CL just sucks.
For the most part I would completely agree, but I was shocked to learn that one of the FAA engineers that I coordinated with in Renton got his FAA job via CL.

I am a mechanical systems engineer in the commercial aircraft reconfiguration business.
Typically I have about half a dozen engineers working for me.
Unfortunately for you, we are a small company that only hires experienced aerospace engineers via word of mouth and strong personal references. We just laid off five percent of our engineering workforce, but the nature of this business is very cyclic and we will likely be hiring again.
Old 11-29-2012, 12:50 PM   #6
macd7919 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 112
Thanks for all the input guys! I had some time this morning to go back and finish up my original posting with a bit more info so things aren't as vague. Hopefully this addressed most of the concerns in the previous posts, thanks again!
macd7919 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:44 PM   #7
grinns
Semper Fi

Oddometer: 1,321
It seems like there is more than one mechanical engineer... Message me if you have an updated resume. I need to ask around a little bit, but I know we are short at the moment.

grinns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:07 PM   #8
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,271
engineers,,

should stick to driving trains!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hPcO4pYxlo

only a weather forecaster can be wrong more,on a daily basis, and not be fired for incompetence.
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #9
///Monster
Does it have wheels?

Oddometer: 56
Have you tried to contact an Engineering specific recruiter in an area that you're wanting to live/move to. I got my last job through a recruiter and I have recruiter's call me weekly with job opportunities now.

I know there are lots of ME jobs in the plains states. I would say send me your resume but we just hired a couple more ME's and I think we're filled up at the moment.

Best of luck finding another job man.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
tod701
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 899
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Monster View Post
Have you tried to contact an Engineering specific recruiter in an area that you're wanting to live/move to.
Volt, PDS and Comforce are engineering contract houses with offices in the Seattle area.
The provide temporary staffing with jobs ranfging from a month to many years.
Everyone from Boeing to little tiny business use them.
The pay is usually better than direct employment, but the benefits are nearly nonexistant.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:50 PM   #11
Idarider
R1200GS

Oddometer: 1,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
should stick to driving trains!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hPcO4pYxlo

only a weather forecaster can be wrong more,on a daily basis, and not be fired for incompetence.
Maybe that is why they say that most engineering specifications are done through Atmospheric Analysis, ( pulled from thin air) according to Keki Bhote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #12
HellsAlien
a has-been that never-was

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idarider View Post
Maybe that is why they say that most engineering specifications are done through Atmospheric Analysis, ( pulled from thin air)
That's not the place Peterman pulls his specs from, eww!
HellsAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #13
speedmaster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 572
http://thehill.com/blogs/hillicon-va...ting-visa-bill

So many jobs for engineers out there we need congress to help.
speedmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:33 PM   #14
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,271
"Beneath the Wheel"

hand cut gears,,file your life away,,

you still can't put a 3" hole in a two inch part. . . . .
as I have said many times,,engineers should stick to ringing the bell and blowing the whistle, Casey Jones School of engineering,,,throttle on FULL!
CLANG!, CLANG!
peterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
Voluhzia
iExplorer

Oddometer: 1,604
PM sent

Facebook
Nova Scotia on Explorer

http://novascotiaexplorer.blogspot.com/
Voluhzia is offline   Reply With Quote