ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
Pro_Marinero OP
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,086
Ellensburg ADVers?

Anyone there? As of tomorrow I'm one too. Look for the Husaberg 470 (er, once I fix it ) cruising around town or anybody talking about some guy riding a funny bike with no seat in the north Water area. We're renting until we decide whether to buy or build. Looking forward to leaving the rat race (at least for four days a week) and riding all of my childhood places again. It's good to be finally going home after all of these years.

If anyone wants a partner let me know.

Pro_Marinero screwed with this post 11-29-2012 at 10:02 AM
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
hayshaker
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Near George so not that far away and ride all year long. There are quite a few ADV bikes in that area but I don't think many of them are forum members.

TONY

George, WA
hayshaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #3
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,910
Cashmere, about 45 minutes north of you on the slab. Or, a nice ride over Colockum Pass, jog past Haney Meadows, and down Mission Creek- see WABDR, http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=620440

Welcome to the area! It rocks.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #4
Rey & Vann
Vagabundo

Oddometer: 184
Just curious about the area, how is the wintertime riding? Suppose much drier than Elma WA, but likely colder.

I'm sick of the rain here, about a bajillion inches a year, and anymore, I park my bikes from October to May and maybe go out one Sunday a month. I hate it! So after tons of talk, my wife and I have finally decided it's time to go, just don't know where. West coast still, just in the rain shadow so looking for suggestions.

How is Ellensberg? I've never been there.
Rey & Vann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,910
West of the Cascades (Seattle, Olympia, Portland) it rains. East of the Cascades (Wenatchee, Ellensburg, Bend) it doesn't. Simple.
We get over 300 days of sunshine a year. Wintertime riding is available, but there's usually snow on the ground from late November through March. Ish. But you can go out to the Columbia Basin and ride. Cold but sunny.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #6
Pro_Marinero OP
Carbon Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,086
Good to know there are a few over here. Tony I might hit you up for a Saddle ride if I ever get this Berg put together. It's been awhile since I was there. I was getting spanked by a couple CRF450's in the dunes by Haeback so I know next time should be a little more fun.

As far as Ellensburg goes... it's windy. It comes and goes but it's sort of a constant over the course of the year. It's worst in the spring. I remember many cold baseball practices and really hating that freezing wind. Once you accept that it gets better . Some people may disagree but I think it's one of the best-situated towns in the state, both for riding and just in general. It's where the green stops and the desert starts. There is riding in literally every direction and some of the best trails in the state are within 30 minutes of town to the north, south, and west ( to be fair I used to ride what is now the firing range before it expanded SE of town so I still say every direction ). Having the college there brings some diversity and culture. There are great restaurants and bars downtown which most people miss as they fly on I-90 only to pee and gas up at the south interchange. It's two hours to Seattle so you have easy access to whatever you feel you might want to go to there. It's quiet and small enough to know people but not so small that people know you and your business. And no.. it does NOT smell like cowshit anymore since Schaake's closed over 20 years ago. I still hear that from people on the west side. I've been gone a long time but even I'm caught up on that one.

(full disclosure - my family has been here for over 130 years so I'm a bit partial )
Pro_Marinero is offline   Reply With Quote