User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-01-2012, 05:22 AM   #1
rmarmbruster OP
Roba

Oddometer: 160
New K60 Scouts fitted today.

I took the front wheel in this morning to get it balanced, the front end was bobbing up and down at high frequency related to speed, most disconcerting.

My balancing idea was rejected with a quick glance from the tyre guy. The front was about 25% worn but was scolloping, it was not apparent to me until pointed out. Apparently this happens frequently with the K60 scout.

I also replaced the rear tyre 150/70 B17 69T because it was worn quite flat and required some effort in cornering to get over the edge lip, a bit annoying. The rear was reasonably worn and I did not really mind parting with it.

The last set of K60 Scouts did 11,070 km (6,900 miles) and appeared to have about another 4,000 to 5,000km of wear left. A shame to discard them but necessary. On my old K75S I used to wear tyres to the canvas. They were great tyres the old Bridgestone Battlax BT45. Of cause the R1200GS and the Heidie's are a whole other world.

If I get strange wear patterns and unacceptable life out of the new set, some other manufacturer will get a go.

There was a guy in there today with a Hayabusa getting a new 350 AUD rear tyre fitted and was going on about regularly shredding them and how the new big horsepower chip made it go that much better. A nice guy and not so young either, but I was thinking what a character, he has a Hayabusa but needs more power and in an environment where the police are prolific and there is simply no where to speed and get away with it. I asked where do you do your track days - no track days mate I just give her a bit of a run on the M1.

Cheers

Rob A.

rmarmbruster screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 05:24 AM Reason: Spelling
rmarmbruster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #2
angelo_balto
his Royal Dudeness

Oddometer: 54
So with the scouts you get around 10.000km of "decent" use & then they become too flat to be "sharp"... Is that correct?

I am planning to try them on my GSA in a couple of months & some more input would be welcome

http://mostwantedwarehouse.com
angelo_balto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 04:16 AM   #3
rmarmbruster OP
Roba

Angelo,
No. The front tyre was scalloped on the knobs and could not be balanced but after 11,000 odd kilometres was hardly worn at all. The rear tyre had substantial wear and I was happy to replace it. The rear tyre did also have cracks in front of each knob. I bought the same again because they handle all my conditions with ease. The new tyres are different to the old, not sure why but have heard many complaints mostly based around throwing knobs off the rear tyre.

Most people I know with the same tyres have gotten a lot more wear, I must be doing something wrong with riding style or tyre pressures. I do ride quite quickly on the bitumen and average on gravel. Most of our riding is 50/50, hwy to get to the gravel roads.

Cheers

Rob A.
Old 12-05-2012, 07:27 AM   #4
Detroit Steve
Homely Adventurer

Oddometer: 492
Thumb

I am guessing that you have a BMW shock on the front of your bike. The Telelever front end with the original shock scallops front tires like crazy.

Detroit Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 02:16 PM   #5
rmarmbruster OP
Roba

Steve,
Hm maybe some different settings may fix this. The front shock was set where it is now when purchased in May 2008, I had better have a look.

Cheers

Rob A.