Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-03-2012, 02:14 AM   #16
WindSailor
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 635
I had the same quandaries... actually went around and asked all of the individual bike shops that serviced BMW and asked the same thing - what year should I buy. They all said about the same thing - buy the latest and greatest that you can afford.
I eventually decided to buy new and I wanted the 'camhead' version (bucket shims - which are supposed to stay in spec longer); and got the '11 GSA model. The '10 and later (I believe) have a float for a fuel level sensor compared to the fuel strip in the '09 and earlier models. The only problem that I have had is that I lost the rear main seal - behind the clutch - which was covered by warranty.
Pretty much every year BMW has made improvements from the last - well kind of anyway. Which makes it hard to decide where to flop in. The 2013 'wethead' models has really caught my eye and has huge leap over the '12 models.
Quote:
If I were spending money I would look for the best price on a low mileage well cared for bike 08 or newer (and I too like the GS over the GSA). If that bike doesn't satisfy (which would shock me) you will be in a better position in a couple of years to get one of the new wetheads which I expect will be a game changer

If you plan on upgrading in a few years then I'd go with what tlwood99 has said. I think the GS sells better than the GSA although I bought the GSA for the fuel range and protection.
I'd be careful buying on Craigs List or Ebay for obvious reasons. If you do plan on something like that then I would take it to a dealer before you actually bought it and have them go through it. When I traded in my 650 Dakar for this bike, the dealership went through that bike like a fine tooth comb (looked for fault codes etc.) - and charged me accordingly for what was wrong. BUT on the flip side I would expect any used bike from the dealership be in top notch shape... I guess that would depend on the dealership too.
-OR-
Get the new wethead... I have no doubt it is better than the '12 model and maybe upgrade further down the road if you want to.
Not an easy choice - been there.
If I had to make that choice now; I'd probably go new. Call me stupid - but that wethead has me twitching... it's a personal thing.

Spend some quality time in bike shops that service BMW bikes (including dealerships) to get their opinions and then make your decision.
WindSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:37 PM   #17
angelo_balto
his Royal Dudeness

Oddometer: 54
best buy 2010+model... best oil-cooled boxer ever!

in my opinion (this applies ONLY to the 2010+ generation GS) just got the full ESA, ABS, etc...
You will never regret it & it WILL keep a much better resale value.

Even if you are an Ohlins guy, the are compatible with the ESA. After all, till 2015 ALL bikes will have electronic suspension as OEM, so without it you will be "the past"

Same thing happened with the ABS option a few years ago ... Now if you don't have it, you're on a Harley ...

http://mostwantedwarehouse.com
angelo_balto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #18
Britome
Get Free

Oddometer: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo_balto View Post
best buy 2010+model... best oil-cooled boxer ever!

in my opinion (this applies ONLY to the 2010+ generation GS) just got the full ESA, ABS, etc...
You will never regret it & it WILL keep a much better resale value.

Even if you are an Ohlins guy, the are compatible with the ESA. After all, till 2015 ALL bikes will have electronic suspension as OEM, so without it you will be "the past"

Same thing happened with the ABS option a few years ago ... Now if you don't have it, you're on a Harley ...
I generally agree with this and I have ESA. That being said, my son has ohlins on a non ESA 2006 GSA and that ride is firmer and more superior o the ESA on my 2011 GSA.
Britome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:57 PM   #19
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,324
I'd just ride a goat, they are pretty quiet riding through the campground.

You guys sound like you are discussing what is the best spoon for oatmeal

Oh, yeah.....nevermind.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #20
aGremlin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Britome View Post
That being said, my son has ohlins on a non ESA 2006 GSA and that ride is firmer and more superior o the ESA on my 2011 GSA.
But Ohlins ESA is even better

With ESA fitted, you can then at least fit the Ohlins Mechatronic suspension instead of getting manual Ohlins.
Old 12-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #21
angelo_balto
his Royal Dudeness

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by aGremlin View Post
But Ohlins ESA is even better

With ESA fitted, you can then at least fit the Ohlins Mechatronic suspension instead of getting manual Ohlins.

Soooooooon....

http://mostwantedwarehouse.com
angelo_balto is offline   Reply With Quote