Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Australia
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 04:56 PM   #1
speed_racer OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 707
Question WTB 13' F800GS and trade a F650GS, what price u reckon?

Hey Guys,

I went on the GS ride on wednesday and quite keen on trading in the 1yr old F650gs for the new F800gs. I'm trying to chase the best price I can get for the F800gs and best trade in..

Anyone else rode the new BMW F800gs? I love the suspension on it ESC makes it fun on n off road.. traction control is def off for off road though...

So anyway what would you guys suggest to be a good price? Anyone bought one and got a great deal?

Cheers,
speed_racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:10 AM   #2
rmhrc628
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed_racer View Post
Hey Guys,

I went on the GS ride on wednesday and quite keen on trading in the 1yr old F650gs for the new F800gs. I'm trying to chase the best price I can get for the F800gs and best trade in..

Anyone else rode the new BMW F800gs? I love the suspension on it ESC makes it fun on n off road.. traction control is def off for off road though...

So anyway what would you guys suggest to be a good price? Anyone bought one and got a great deal?

Cheers,
Read the paralell twins forum - the 800s are generally dogs when it comes to suspension. I like you thought they were the bees - their suspension is shite for a bike costing as much. They are made for magazine ads - not real adv riding.

The motor is superb - it's just that a bike needs suspension and the f800 has got none of that. I looked at $5000 upgrades but its pretty clear Bavaria does not want this bike used in real adving.
rmhrc628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:55 AM   #3
james928
oohh sidestand!!

Oddometer: 272
Wicked

I have a 2010 F800GS and use it for mainly dirt and trail. Compared to my 525EXC yes the suspension is a bit soft. Really like the bike as a whole, needs some better front springs, rear shock has given me no problems. Engine a gearbox very sweet. On open trails its really nice bike to ride, through mud and stuff with the Kenda big blocks fitted its a bit of a laugh. I had $14,000 to spend and this bike I think was the best value for that money. Great fuel range also. Never ridden one with the doo daa suspension.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:44 PM   #4
GoneAgain
Huh?

Oddometer: 1,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
... They are made for magazine ads - not real adv riding.

... its pretty clear Bavaria does not want this bike used in real adving.

lol.... tell us what you really think!

GoneAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 01:37 AM   #5
Bigem
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,545
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneAgain View Post

lol.... tell us what you really think!

Dogs? That's rubbish!

Another "I don't own one" but I know all about the suspension on them cause the forum said so!

They don't cost 5K to sort out either, and I do own one, I have an enduro bike for enduro riding, GS was not an enduro bike last time I looked so what they fuck would you want to spend 5K on the legs for?

I put that money into something where the suspension is needed.

Progressive springs, more pre-load, heavier and more fork oil and they work extremely well in most conditions, rear shock is not an issue, shock mount can be, the bolt can bend, a few fixes out there, some work, some dont.

Back to OP, BMW just dropped the price of the 2013 F700s so yours just dropped another K or so, might get 10K for a trade if lucky!!
And there's no place I'd rather be!!
Bigem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:13 PM   #6
speed_racer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhrc628 View Post
Read the paralell twins forum - the 800s are generally dogs when it comes to suspension. I like you thought they were the bees - their suspension is shite for a bike costing as much. They are made for magazine ads - not real adv riding.
Go for a ride on a new F800gs with the ESA (electronic suspension adjustment) and you will be pleasantly suprised!!

I rode it through the twisties and thought this soft n dipping suspension feels fun but wasnt what i expected, then I was shown how to put it in sports mode n rode back through the same twisties to the off road section and damn, it stiffened up and ate the twisties better than my f650 does by far..

I put it back in normal mode for gravel roads and comfy for the bumpy tricky bits and I wouldn't change a thing in the suspension department, i thought it was great! The only thing I found annoying about the bike was the traction was way too sensitive on dirt, wouldnt roost or even take off properly from a corner, so that switched off and it was great again..

I never rode the older f800 to compare the suspension but the new ESA stuff felt awesome and I could only assume the old one would be like riding in comfy mode..
Old 12-02-2012, 05:42 PM   #7
PBee

Oddometer: 8,716
BMW don't discount much

Sell ya 650 on the Flea market & buy a fello inmates bike

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=136

I have no affiliation or interest with the seller, I'm using the add as an example.

QUORN SCHNITZEL CLUB Est 2011.
When in the FLINDERS RANGES SA stay at the
ANGORICHINA VILLAGE

PBee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #8
speed_racer OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PBee View Post
BMW don't discount much

Sell ya 650 on the Flea market & buy a fello inmates bike

http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=136

I have no affiliation or interest with the seller, I'm using the add as an example.
I was going to upgrade to one of those, until the 2013 model with its ESA, traction control and comfort seat came out.. Now I want that sooner rather than later...

I may list it up on here though..