Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2014, 07:32 AM   #1
Electrohead OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Should I buy it (BMW R1200GS)? Need Advice.

New here and have a few questions please.

I have an opportunity to buy a 2008 BMW R1200GS with 60,000 miles for $9500. It was owned by a single older gentleman who rode it mostly on highways. He also kept meticulous records, including handwritten notes with dates and what was done (in addition to all the receipts). Visually the bike is clean. It was never dropped.

Question 1: Would be silly to spend $9500 on this bike considering the mileage?

Question 2: How long can I expect this bike to last in good, safe, reliable condition?

Question 3: What's the resale value of the bike - say in 3 years I want to sell it and other than miles the condition is similar as when bought (i.e. clean, working, all records, etc.)

Here is my riding patterns. I commute 50 miles/day on the highway. On nice weekends I might go for a twisty ride. During summer months I may go camping a time or two. And I am hoping to do a super long adventure ride one of these years - maybe California to Alaska and back.

Thanks
Electrohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,579
A lot depends on the accessories that come with it.

IMHO the price is high no matter what, for a standard GS with those miles. $8K would be closer to what you would expect to pay, so long as panniers are included and it is in great shape!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #3
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,040
Concur. Price seems a little steep. Hell, quite a bit steep. If he has aftermarket shocks and a spare set of wheels it might be a little more reasonable.

As a note, I think that bike would be perfect for yoru intended use.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #4
txridindirty
The Mongooses

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrohead View Post

I have an opportunity to buy a 2008 BMW R1200GS with 60,000 miles for $9500. It was owned by a single older gentleman who rode it mostly on highways. He also kept meticulous records, including handwritten notes with dates and what was done (in addition to all the receipts). Visually the bike is clean. It was never dropped.

Question 2: How long can I expect this bike to last in good, safe, reliable condition?

Question 3: What's the resale value of the bike - say in 3 years I want to sell it and other than miles the condition is similar as when bought (i.e. clean, working, all records, etc.)

Here is my riding patterns. I commute 50 miles/day on the highway. On nice weekends I might go for a twisty ride. During summer months I may go camping a time or two. And I am hoping to do a super long adventure ride one of these years - maybe California to Alaska and back.

Thanks
Man, I think this is high for what you are describing. In my opinion that is a "I don't really want to sell" price.

This bike would be perfect for what you are after, but a little too high in price.

2007 GSA
2001 Harley Softail Nightrain
txridindirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:27 AM   #5
ausfahrt
mach schnell

Oddometer: 1,749
I think that the asking price may be a tad high but not outta line. The "one owner elderly gentleman with meticulous maintenance records" bit carries a lot of weight in my opinion.

I would rather spend my money up front for a known commodity than trying to buy on the cheap and paying later.

Make an offer.

You can always count on the Americans to do the right thing, after they have tried everything else.
-Winston Churchill
ausfahrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:52 AM   #6
BigIz
Two Wheeled Trouble

Oddometer: 72
Agreed price is high, particularly in this time of year. I can pick up a standard GS in my area for >9500 with only about 15000 miles or less.

For reference, I just bought my 07 GSA, 14k miles (ABS, BMW cases, all service receipts, typical GSA stuff) for $10k. I looked at several before finding "the one" -- great bike, looks brand new, owner wanted/needed it sold.

Not a bad bike, but I would keep looking unless his price drops.
BigIz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
walterj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 264
Quote:

Thanks
Well, for some sense of "worth", in September, I bought an '07 GSA for slightly more than that but it had only 4800 miles on it, dealer sign-off for 600 mile service and one oil change, garage kept for it's whole life. Not a single scratch on it anywhere. It had done one big trip and then sat.

To me, it was worth the premium as I intend to put 1000+ miles a month on it and still have some value to sell in a few years when I slide into another nicely depreciated low miles garage queen. I like to be the one to make all the dents, scuffs and questionable wiring mods. A nicely cared for and farkled '08 with 63k has a lot of life left in it by some of the examples on here but isn't hard to find one with less, isn't especially desirable to a large portion of the potential customers due to the mileage and so needs to be a real bargain IMO. Buying local saves you shipping - so that is something to consider too but I'd be offering $7500 for that initially and movin' on at $8k.
walterj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 09:19 AM   #8
mard
Carver

Oddometer: 80
If you like the bike and the owner buy it but at %15 off
mard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:44 AM   #9
Electrohead OP
n00b

Thanks everyone for you responses. Some more information. The bike is at a dealership, which is why it's $9900 (with fees, taxes, etc.). The dealership also has a 6-day money back guarantee. They are not willing to negotiate at all. The owner really only wants $8900 for it. The only aftermarket stuff I see on the bike is a top box (no side bags), halogen fog lights and an adapter for heated clothing. I'm also attaching a photo.
Attached Images

Old 11-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #10
txridindirty
The Mongooses

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Thanks everyone for you responses. Some more information. The bike is at a dealership, which is why it's $9900 (with fees, taxes, etc.). The dealership also has a 6-day money back guarantee. They are not willing to negotiate at all. The owner really only wants $8900 for it. The only aftermarket stuff I see on the bike is a top box (no side bags), halogen fog lights and an adapter for heated clothing. I'm also attaching a photo.
Also has spoked wheels, GSA style wind screen, skid plate, and crash bars? Still think it's over-priced. They are stuck on that price cuz they need to make money me thinks

2007 GSA
2001 Harley Softail Nightrain
txridindirty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:48 AM   #11
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,579
Quote:

GS Adventure screen, wind deflectors, grip guard enlargers and BMW crash bars, but way over priced with nothing but a top case. I would avoid any dealer who will not negotiate at all!
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 11:58 AM   #12
LaurelPerryOnLand
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,475
Quote:
Negotiation 101: Is this bike the ONLY GS left on planet earth?

I have purchased some 'big ticket' items...and fellow 'big ticket' owners shared GREAT ADVICE:
"Don't buy the first one you see."

After a prolonged 6-month waiting period I became better educated on the value of the 'big ticket' AND became a better BUYER.

Any seller (dealer or other) who doesn't want to 'negotiate' doesn't DESERVE my hard earned money.
Let some other sucker play their game. Don't be that sucker.
LaurelPerryOnLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 12:02 PM   #13
Electrohead OP
n00b

This is why I joined this forum - great feedback everyone. I really appreciate it! My heart is set on a 1200 GS, so I will continue to look and will let this one go. :)
Old 11-04-2014, 01:24 PM   #14
OldMotoGuySoCal
Returning Rider

Oddometer: 148
Sometimes you can wait and check back, they may be willing to deal if it doesnt sell for a while. In 2008 Ford came out with the Bullett edition Mustang and I wanted one, my local dealer got four and was asking $5,000 over sticker price. I offered to buy one at sticker price and the delaer declined. I went back 8 months later when tthe 2009's were starting to come out and they had two of the 2008 Bullett editions still on the lot. I bought the car for $4,500 under sticker price. Patience paid off.
OldMotoGuySoCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #15
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 13,040
Quote:
This is why I joined this forum - great feedback everyone. I really appreciate it! My heart is set on a 1200 GS, so I will continue to look and will let this one go. :)
Dude, look in the Flea Market here. There's about a thousand of them for sale.

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote