ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: If you own a gs whats your age?
-19 3 0.22%
20-29 63 4.61%
30-39 204 14.93%
40-49 428 31.33%
50-59 452 33.09%
60+ 216 15.81%
Voters: 1366. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-30-2012, 08:55 AM   #31
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,009
Quote:
Originally Posted by marty hill View Post
Hey def, got you by 2. Enjoying my new 2012 12GS.
Lucky you Marty....your GS is faster than mine.

I enjoy my age...it doesn't bother me unless I drink too much bourbon.

Egggaaaaaads...I'm outta bourbon...."Honey, I gotta go to the store again...I'm takin' the bike....I'll be back in a flash...." Heh-heh....OK Bob, ready for some high speed road work?

def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:10 AM   #32
Lensgrinder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian View Post
Bought my first GS (1100) in '07. Loved it and bought a 12GS last year. I wanted a GS when they first arrived back in the 80's but was too busy riding/racing dirt bikes and raising family - so it wasn't in the budget. But I kept thinking "someday..."

Well "someday" was in 2007 when I bought my 1100. Now loving the 1200 and I keep telling my wife of the nearly 100 bikes I've owned over the last 45 years it is the most fun!

Cheers, Dorian
Happy Birthday.
Lensgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:15 AM   #33
def
Ginger th wonder dog

Oddometer: 9,009
I notice that many GSers own newer models or opt to buy a new GS every few years. Why is this? Well cared for, the boxer powered GS will easily last a decade and more without major repairs.

Do we need the newer model to keep up with our buddies, impress the ladies, gotta have the newer features not available on the older model, the older one wore out...there must be some compelling reason I'm not understanding.

These things (GSes) are not particularly attractive, newer models seem to have a lot of plastic, get more complicated and more difficult to maintain and repair and cost a lot more than previous models. Yes, they have more power and maybe a bit more top speed but, I'm not convinced that power and speed are the incentives for buying a new GS when the older ones still run and start fine.

I know that the GS is gaining popularity and there are many new to the model buyers.

But current and previous owners are the ones who baffle me. Help me out here...I just seem not to understand.
def is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #34
Multiplicity
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 172
Picked up my first 2008 GSA in 08 at age 49. Just bought a new 2013 GSA 3 weeks ago, @ 54
Multiplicity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 11:42 AM   #35
funinthesun
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 288
I'm on the younger end also at 30. bought my first bmw 4 months ago and got the gsa. I've seen a few guys my age on the smaller gs's but have been the youngest of all i've met by a decade or more on the gsa's. The guys at the dealer here in so cal said that they sell very few bikes to my age range. except for the rr. the few rallys i've been to so far have been close to the poll as far as age goes. Think the smaller bikes are more prominent with the younger guys, and the 1200's with the older ones. The way I see it if the guys over 50 are all riding gs's and mostly the 1200's from what iv'e seen, that's 30+ years of experience telling the rest of us which bike to ride. and 4 months and 8,000+ miles on the gsa later i'd say that is an accurate statement. I do refer to my gsa as the "old man bike".
Now if only I can get the girls to wave like they did on the crotch rocket.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:00 PM   #36
EJ_92606
Rider

Oddometer: 1,779
Haha, your dealer lied his ass off if he told you that 22 is a typical age for a GS owner. But hey good for you for thinking for yourself and getting the bike you want rather than the bike other 20 somethings seem to be riding. And also good for you for having the money at that age to afford a GS!
EJ_92606 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #37
Lensgrinder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,311
Quote:
Originally Posted by def View Post
I notice that many GSers own newer models or opt to buy a new GS every few years. Why is this? Well cared for, the boxer powered GS will easily last a decade and more without major repairs.

Do we need the newer model to keep up with our buddies, impress the ladies, gotta have the newer features not available on the older model, the older one wore out...there must be some compelling reason I'm not understanding.

These things (GSes) are not particularly attractive, newer models seem to have a lot of plastic, get more complicated and more difficult to maintain and repair and cost a lot more than previous models. Yes, they have more power and maybe a bit more top speed but, I'm not convinced that power and speed are the incentives for buying a new GS when the older ones still run and start fine.
Lots of improvements from the 2008.

I know that the GS is gaining popularity and there are many new to the model buyers.

But current and previous owners are the ones who baffle me. Help me out here...I just seem not to understand.

I bought my first GS in 1999 with 12,000 on it. I traded it in on a new 2008 because the owner of the dealership made me a deal I could not turn down.
I rode the 2008 to Texas and back twice, to Prudhoe Bay and back. I rode it pretty much every day.

I did find my self needing more range so I came up with a way to carry four extra gallons.
The reason I traded up to a 2012 GSA is because I wanted the larger fuel capacity, lower first gear and ESA.

I will keep this one as it has all I need, also I like the camhead engine, and the fuel metering system went back to a float instead of the strip which I had gone through three of. They also switched from Showa shocks to WP.

I'm not trying to keep up with or impress anyone, I buy a vehicle for a purpose, this one serves that purpose to a tee.
Lensgrinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #38
capeklr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 314
I'm 48 and got my first GS, a 07 GSA 2 weeks ago. Bought cash.
capeklr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 12:24 PM   #39
gscrasher
Motorcycle poor

Oddometer: 17
Some of the older GS riders will probably respond soon when they get up.

I'm 69 and bought my first one, an R100GS in 1993 at the very young age of 50. After 10 years of adventure riding, camping the mountains and deserts of New Mexico, I downsized to an F650GS.

In 2008 I bought the very best touring bike there is, the R1200GS. My touring bike is now a 2012 R1200GS, and my adventure bike is still something smaller. I had to pick my 650 up out of the sand the other day and I'm glad I did not have my 1200.

Keep on riding.
gscrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #40
ShaftEd
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,243
At age 42 I purchased my first GS in 2000 (an 1150GS), ran it for over 6 years and 96,000 miles. I admit I wanted to trade it in much earlier when the 1200 came out (mostly for the lighter weight compared to the 1150), but I waited all the way to the 2007 model, as I did not want the servo brakes). Now I've got 110,000 on that 2007 12GS and plan to eventually get the wasserboxer sometime next year. Unless, of course they screw it all up, or the reviews are bad. In that case, I guess I'll run this old 2007 until it disintegrates.
ShaftEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #41
marty hill
The Energizer Bunny

Oddometer: 4,158
Def, I'll answer your question about trading in bikes. I ride solo and in remote places as well as many other countries. I'm more comfortable with a moto under wty even tho that may be silly. Some of the out of wty charges in other countries are a bunch higher than here. I ride them for 35k or so and get a new one. I've had 6 12GS's before this one, each went between 35 and 44k. Other than a leaky rear shock on my '09 they have all been perfect during my ownership. I never sat on a moto till I was 59 so it helps my comfort level even tho I'm probably wrong.

Semper Paratus
marty hill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 02:02 PM   #42
Chessie-Owner OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
Thank you everyone for your replies. I may just happen to be the oldest that OWNS a gs as some stated before. I bought mine in cash after owning buell firebolt for a little over 6k miles. I and I can honestly say its my favorite toy I ever rode. I plan to keep it till 100k maybe more. Possibly even an Alaska trip as well, my girlfriend is currently reading ruffntuff's ride report and its giving her an itch.
[QUOTE]Interesting to note, though I am 26, many of my friends note that I have "old man tendencies." So maybe the poll should also include a "self perceived" age. Also, I think that the cost of a GS is prohibitive of many younger guys/gals owning one. You can get a crotch rocket used for 5k or a GS for 12k. One of them is viewed as sexier by the opposite sex. Which is a primary concern to many my age. Though I don't think that following your buddy on his GS, carting all your stuff, while you struggle to keep up on your "wicked sweet looking" green Ninja or Ducati Monster is very sexy. Telling your girlfriend she can pack whatever she wants and actually having room for it and being able to go wherever you want in the world is.
/QUOTE]
My girlfriend thinks its sexier than my old street bike and have had her cousin say the same thing. They also like trucks and real guys(drinks beer, works with his hands, shoots, and has facial hair). Somethings I think a lot of the opposite sex don't find attractive anymore. Everyones all into money and feelings but thats just my opinion and I'm young.
Old 11-30-2012, 03:19 PM   #43
trc.rhubarb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,897
40 and have both a GS (at 39) and a geezerglide (first one at 35)
Once you have comfort, it's hard to keep hurting yourself on long trips.
1975 BMW R90/6
Follow me here
trc.rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 06:05 PM   #44
GypsyWriter
Sarah

Oddometer: 1,410
Bought my GS at the ripe old age of 33 because I had the opportunity to pay cash for the bike of my dreams. Now I have two of them, a '12 GS Rallye and an '88 R100. Love both for different reasons yet they both hit the same correct buttons - one is simpler, easier to fix on the road, while the other is my hi-tech beauty who comfortably gets me everywhere.

I can finally see why people love these bikes so much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FotoTEX View Post
Life is dangerous. Not doing what you love makes life even more dangerous...
GypsyWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #45
Glideriderg
n00b

Oddometer: 7
Wicked

Just got my first GSA at 53, a 2010 model and traded my 07 1200RT in for it. I have been riding since I was 4 and have always had bikes. One of the reasons I traded the RT for the GS is because I was finally tired of hurrying places on sport, or sport touring bikes, and the pains you get when your older and leaning forward for hours at a time!! Still have several bikes but right now I am LOVING this GS, I can't stop riding it, and I love that I can take any road and not worry about what it turns into. Another prompt for me was my 30 year old son bought an 1150 GS about six months ago. I guess the young dogs can teach the old dogs sometimes!! And, that also adds one of the younger crowd to the stats as well. Ride safely fellas!
Glideriderg is offline   Reply With Quote