User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
lockwood111 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Question Low Sargent seat on 2014 GSA - doesn't work

I purchased a 'standard' height Sargent seat for my 2014 GSA, but I could only just reach the ground, it was similar or perhaps slightly higher than the original BMW seat. So I purchased a 'low' Sargent, but the ground reach is almost identical. When you're on the move and seated correctly, the seat seems lower, but when you stop at lights and slide forward to put your foot down, the reach to the ground is just the same. I can't see the point in Sargent producing a 'low' version. And yes. the seat is definitely the 'low' version. People purchase the 'low' seat so they can reach the ground more easily - it just doesn't work. Do others notice the same?
lockwood111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 06:10 AM   #2
IB1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockwood111 View Post
I purchased a 'standard' height Sargent seat for my 2014 GSA, but I could only just reach the ground, it was similar or perhaps slightly higher than the original BMW seat. So I purchased a 'low' Sargent, but the ground reach is almost identical. When you're on the move and seated correctly, the seat seems lower, but when you stop at lights and slide forward to put your foot down, the reach to the ground is just the same. I can't see the point in Sargent producing a 'low' version. And yes. the seat is definitely the 'low' version. People purchase the 'low' seat so they can reach the ground more easily - it just doesn't work. Do others notice the same?
I got the same problem with the BMW one. The seat is indeed lower, but more angular, so you can't reach the ground that easily (compared to the hight). Next-on the low ones are harder, so the sides don't deform as much when you are trying to touch the ground.
Over here I you can test some seats before buying them. I decided to do that and bought the Touratech extra-low comfort seat. It was the only off the shelf lowered seat that actually was acceptably comfortable and made it easier to touch the ground.

On the GSA I have a better contact with the ground on the 910mm high sports seat than the standard seat at 890mm. The shape of the seat is really important for that.

Yes, still a rookie
IB1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 07:30 AM   #3
slowinfastout
Just Ridin' By....

Oddometer: 1,838
You are going to find that on a GS, you can only get the seat so low because of the design dynamics of the bike. If you look at the frame height near the front seat attach point, you can see there is only so much thinness a seat designer can make the plate and still have a layer of foam on it. A large portion of the GS12's height is due to the longer suspension travel it has over regular street bikes, as its designed for some offroad work, it needs that suspension travel out of necessity. If you want to go lower than a 'low' seat, you will need to modify the suspension to get the bike physically lower to the ground. Any dealer can drop it 1" to 1.5" easily enough for you.

I have a 30" inseam and ride my GS on the HIGH setting with a standard seat, as I prefer the legroom. When I come to a stop I don't ever plan to flatfoot it, and simple scoot up a few inches into the 'pocket' and then lean the bike slightly left or right to 1-foot it. Modern dirt bikes are the same, you can't flat foot them either so its the same technique you would use on a dedicated off-road bike. I find that most guys having trouble with the GS on seat positions transitioned to the bike for a pure street ride and they sit much lower. MY K1600GTL drove me crazy because it was so low, so I went through a lot of mods to get it raised up (including building a custom height seat) to get the legroom back that I have on my GS. So, if you're new to a GS and came off a pure street bike, realize that you have to adapt your riding style a bit to that more a of a dirt biker - try that first before you spend a lot of cash on modifying the bike to bring it lower to the ground.
slowinfastout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
Travman
SDF

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
The Sargent seat is a bit wide at the nose so that is why your reach to the ground seems high. I just returned a Standard height Sargent seat because of the opposite, it was too low. The actual seat height of the Standard Sargent is almost an inch lower than the stock GSA seat. Looks like they fail in both directions.

2014 BMW R1200 GSA
2011 BMW R1200RT - gone
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - gone
Travman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2014, 09:38 PM   #5
lockwood111 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Question

I accept all the responses, BUT, people buy the 'low' seat so that the reach to the ground is supposedly less. If the reach is the same regardless of the version, why offer one?
lockwood111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #6
Joachim
Joachim

Oddometer: 202
In all the seat discussions nobody has mentioned the Wunderlich ergo low seat! I've got it installed. On the high setting it is the same height as the BMW low seat, on the low setting it is definitely lower than the BMW low seat. It's certainly far more comfortable than the BMW seat - it's harder but correctly shaped and does not have the pressure points of the the original gel/ foam bouncy BMW seat. After a couple of weeks it has worn in and 400+ km trips are absolutely painless.
Joachim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 01:22 PM   #7
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,640
Above post mentions but didn't see it in any of the others...

Maybe "understood" but have you tried putting the seat in the low position with the bike adjustments at the front and rear, or high front - low rear so the seat is a bit flatter. No real issues with reach for me with the seat concepts standard version but there is an obvious difference when doing this "mechanical" height adjustment.
Old 10-02-2014, 02:05 PM   #8
KoolBreeze
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Quote:
I accept all the responses, BUT, people buy the 'low' seat so that the reach to the ground is supposedly less. If the reach is the same regardless of the version, why offer one?
good question.

so they have shorter distance to footpegs when sitting down, which is probably not so big a deal or even a negative factor. yet the actual "reach" to the ground doesn't improve?

this seems a bit silly. (totally believable... but silly they bothered. almost a marketing ploy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by IB1 View Post
On the GSA I have a better contact with the ground on the 910mm high sports seat than the standard seat at 890mm. The shape of the seat is really important for that.

this seat?

reason I ask is not height related... but because I am disappointed in the others out there in regards to lack of design differences etc. I want to get away from "barcalounger" cruiser style that they all seem to copy and repeat ad nauseum. this one seems like it will resolve the pressure points that I experience from the front lip of the barcalounger scoop area of the seat.

so now you are saying it's also easier to reach the ground? (this makes sense looking at it in the pics. I haven't seen one in person) that's another plus.

the price is not a plus though. :/ a fairly stiff price for a single seat of this nature. the initial outlay and not knowing if this would be my "end all" is keeping me from throwing down the money.
KoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 03:43 PM   #9
sarhog
Ride far...

Oddometer: 601
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
After a couple of weeks it has worn in and 400+ km trips are absolutely painless.
That's only a few hours. Anyone use one for multiple 1,000 mile days?
Old 10-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #10
Travman
SDF

Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoolBreeze View Post
good question.

so they have shorter distance to footpegs when sitting down, which is probably not so big a deal or even a negative factor. yet the actual "reach" to the ground doesn't improve?

this seems a bit silly. (totally believable... but silly they bothered. almost a marketing ploy)

this seat?

reason I ask is not height related... but because I am disappointed in the others out there in regards to lack of design differences etc. I want to get away from "barcalounger" cruiser style that they all seem to copy and repeat ad nauseum. this one seems like it will resolve the pressure points that I experience from the front lip of the barcalounger scoop area of the seat.

so now you are saying it's also easier to reach the ground? (this makes sense looking at it in the pics. I haven't seen one in person) that's another plus.

the price is not a plus though. :/ a fairly stiff price for a single seat of this nature. the initial outlay and not knowing if this would be my "end all" is keeping me from throwing down the money.
I recently tried the Touratech sport seat but in the tall version. The seat is very narrow, almost enduro narrow so the reach to the ground is much less than on a standard seat. The seat is also very very firm. I liked the seat for around town and on a trail ride but for the hour+ on the highway getting to the mountains, I could not find a comfortable position. If it was a $400 seat I would have kept it as a second and that's where it should be priced. At nearly $700, it did not fit all my needs and back it went.

2014 BMW R1200 GSA
2011 BMW R1200RT - gone
2008 Suzuki V-Strom 1000 - gone
Travman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 05:31 PM   #11
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
I am having the same damn problem. Just got my 2015 GSA on Tuesday and put my Sargent low on it. I'm no closer to the ground than on the stock seat and maybe a tiny bit higher.

I had three previous GSAs ('07, '09 and '11). I used a Sargent low on all three bikes and it was a great seat and got me much lower than stock.

Has anyone called Sargent about this?

hammick screwed with this post 10-03-2014 at 06:54 PM
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 01:36 AM   #12
Shamone
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joachim View Post
In all the seat discussions nobody has mentioned the Wunderlich ergo low seat! I've got it installed. On the high setting it is the same height as the BMW low seat, on the low setting it is definitely lower than the BMW low seat. It's certainly far more comfortable than the BMW seat - it's harder but correctly shaped and does not have the pressure points of the the original gel/ foam bouncy BMW seat. After a couple of weeks it has worn in and 400+ km trips are absolutely painless.
I really like the sound of this seat. I have the BMW low seat and find that the shoulders at the front still splay my legs out slightly. Does it also have these 'shoulders' or is it more rounded at the front?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Shamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 08:51 AM   #13
hammick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,925
I spoke with Richard at Sargent seats and he told me because the new bikes have a lot less foam on their stock seats that they couldn't make their low version any lower and still make it comfortable.

I need to go on a 200 mile non-stop on my stock seat. My decision to keep the Sagent will be based solely on comfort.
hammick is offline   Reply With Quote