Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2013, 10:34 AM   #91
Norhasken
Tryin' to find my way

Oddometer: 18,228
To calibrate with GS 911 the fuel strip has to be completely dry.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:19 PM   #92
Out of Range
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Grill Igniter

After reading all the post on using the grill igniter I sent the link to a buddy. It was amazing he was reading the same post when he received my email. His fuel gauge strip has been out for over three years. He immediately went to Lowes and bought an igniter. 20 minutes after returning home he sent me a photo of his fuel gauge working for the first time in a long time. He took the bike for a ride returned home and found the DTE was reading 343 miles to empty. At that time I was standing in his driveway waiting for him to return. That was one happy ADV member. So FYYFF.
Thank you to who ever it was that figured this out and shared with the group
Out of Range is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 07:46 PM   #93
droffsite
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Worked a charm

My 2009 GS strip gave up the ghost some time last summer. I decided to check this morning to see if anyone had a float conversion and found this thread.

I topped off my tank, pulled the grill ignitor from my potato gun, pushed the 2 leads up against the pins (the alligator clips I had were too big to fit properly) and started clicking. After 6 clicks I had 7.6K ohms. I gave it 3 more and got to 2.6K ohms. 3 more clicks didn't change the resistance, so I left it there.

The fuel gauge came back to life roughly 30 seconds after I started the bike, showing 93 miles range. I rode it down the driveway and back (about .3 miles): no change in range. I'll ride in to work tomorrow and see what happens.

Many thanks to the intrepid (and smarter than I) souls who figured this out!
droffsite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:02 AM   #94
cjack
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 854
Quote:
Originally Posted by droffsite View Post
My 2009 GS strip gave up the ghost some time last summer. I decided to check this morning to see if anyone had a float conversion and found this thread.

I topped off my tank, pulled the grill ignitor from my potato gun, pushed the 2 leads up against the pins (the alligator clips I had were too big to fit properly) and started clicking. After 6 clicks I had 7.6K ohms. I gave it 3 more and got to 2.6K ohms. 3 more clicks didn't change the resistance, so I left it there.

The fuel gauge came back to life roughly 30 seconds after I started the bike, showing 93 miles range. I rode it down the driveway and back (about .3 miles): no change in range. I'll ride in to work tomorrow and see what happens.

Many thanks to the intrepid (and smarter than I) souls who figured this out!
Great. 2.6K is in the correct range of new. I think the last two new ones I bought are a bit over 2.5K each. I have seen them measure new from about 2.4K to 2.6K.
RA & MOA #224
cjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:29 AM   #95
droffsite
n00b

Ride to work update

I rode roughly 25 miles to work this morning. The range moved up slowly from 93 to 152 miles; the bars didn't drop. I've been getting about 41 MPG, so I'm guessing (hoping) I'm just a couple more miles from the first bar going out.

I hate hyperbole, but this just might be the greatest fix ever. Telling the story is fun, especially when I get to the "my wife said 'you're not going to do that in the garage, are you'" part. Many thanks again!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:31 AM   #96
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,391
Since I'm probably nuts, I'm looking at possibly getting a R1200GS as a graduation gift (after getting a job) for myself with my EE degree next year. I was wondering, is this same fuel strip used in the 2013+ WC GS as the earlier ones?
Old 04-02-2014, 06:39 AM   #97
wonderings
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
Since I'm probably nuts, I'm looking at possibly getting a R1200GS as a graduation gift (after getting a job) for myself with my EE degree next year. I was wondering, is this same fuel strip used in the 2013+ WC GS as the earlier ones?
From my understanding they went back to a more traditional method mid 2010 and the new LC GS's do not have a fuel strip at all.

Its a really annoying little problem that I wish they could figure out a permanent fix for. Even with a new one in my GSA I never trust it.
2010 GSA
wonderings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:46 AM   #98
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,499
Fuel strip fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderings View Post
From my understanding they went back to a more traditional method mid 2010 and the new LC GS's do not have a fuel strip at all.

Its a really annoying little problem that I wish they could figure out a permanent fix for. Even with a new one in my GSA I never trust it.
You are correct, sir. I had an '09 GSA and am very familiar with the "zapping" technique. While you guys have the panels off of the tank, please check your quick release couplings and the flange for cracks. BMW is/has issued a recall of '08s and '09s because of the suspected ethanol problem.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:21 AM   #99
arrcrussell
Gimme Dirt

Oddometer: 535
For all you who "zapped" your fuel strips to get them "working" - are they accurate? I zapped mine a few weeks ago and after 2 tank fill ups, the warning light is still out, the gauge shows full when I fill it but it will not drop below 1/2 as I ride. Have any of you needed to recalibrate the strip after "zapping"?

arrcrussell screwed with this post 04-03-2014 at 03:10 AM
arrcrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 09:11 AM   #100
Beecher Snipes
Fool

Oddometer: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cataract2 View Post
The 2013+ bikes use a float not a strip, and are amazingly accurate.
Beecher Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:50 AM   #101
Cataract2
Where to?

Oddometer: 1,391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beecher Snipes View Post
The 2013+ bikes use a float not a strip, and are amazingly accurate.
Good to know. Thanks for the info. Now to just see if they changed (updated) the final drive.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:22 AM   #102
droffsite
n00b

One tank down after zapping

Finally killed off my first tank yesterday. The range counter went from being extremely optimistic to more realistic over the course of the tank. I rode about 25 miles at a time between restarts; there did seem to be some degree of recalibrating that happened each time I got back on the bike.

After the refill, the range and gauge both seem to be working correctly.