ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2013, 08:31 PM   #271
Steveo.
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

My dealer has a demo M696 I can get on a deal - would I be disappointed with it's power? I'm 56, 5-10 180lbs, won't do track days, just canyons and mountains.

Thanks!
I've got a 796 and I wouldn't want less power. I'm about your weight and while the 796 is great in the city and the power is perfect, I'm often caught wishing I'd have bought the 1100 while on the highway. I wouldn't consider the 696 at all, if I were you. Not only does it have less power, you give up the single sided swing arm, better wheels, more comfortable seat and a few other things that come with the 796. Resale on the 696 is a lot worse as well because tons of people buy them as starter bikes and then are looking to upgrade after a year.

And I wouldn't rule out the Monster for longer trips. I rode mine 600km on Wednesday and with a tank bag, I could lean forward and rest the whole way down. I was tired when I got here, but am looking forward to the ride home.
__________________
2011 Monster 796
2012 KTM 250XC
Steveo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 01:00 AM   #272
OConnor
Bad juju
 
OConnor's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: Midwest
Oddometer: 3,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
OTOH, I may go find a used one, even a fixer - something to tinker on. I do all my own service work, fully capable of frame-up resto - paint work, etc.

Thanks!
This^. If you have the capabilities and like to tinker the older "full-frame" Monsters are for you.
Plus they are way cooler, ask anyone.
__________________
2008 GSX1250N
2006 Ducati S2R1000
1990 HD Ultra Classic
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:19 AM   #273
DesmoDog
Desmo's my dog
 
DesmoDog's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Michigan, USA
Oddometer: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post

My dealer has a demo M696 I can get on a deal - would I be disappointed with it's power? I'm 56, 5-10 180lbs, won't do track days, just canyons and mountains. I loved the SV650 but bars were too low.
Some of that depends on who you ride with. My 796 Hyper feels plenty fast until I ride with buddies on liter bikes and then it feels too slow...

I've never ridden a 696 so I can't add any first hand experience, but when I was looking at Monsters the 796 made more sense for me. (I got the Hyper instead because it was priced right...)
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:40 AM   #274
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer
 
Moronic's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Oddometer: 1,492
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
Wanting a Duc for day rides and twisties - something cool, fun, fast, loud.

My dealer has a demo M696 I can get on a deal - would I be disappointed with it's power? I'm 56, 5-10 180lbs, won't do track days, just canyons and mountains. I loved the SV650 but bars were too low.
He liked the SV. Dare say he is looking for a comparison of the littlest Monster with that motor on the power front.
__________________
Sorting out the S4Rs Ohlins shock: click here.
Moronic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #275
Cortez
BAZINGA!
 
Cortez's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2006
Location: Croatia
Oddometer: 6,677
The 796 seems to be the best value of the lot.
__________________
'08 Yamaha FZ6n S2 ABS

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #276
Steveo.
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
He liked the SV. Dare say he is looking for a comparison of the littlest Monster with that motor on the power front.
Bike for the money, the 796 kills the 696 and given his experience on bikes, he'll be bored of the 696 pretty quick. My opinion, having ridden both and now own the 796. ...Steve
__________________
2011 Monster 796
2012 KTM 250XC
Steveo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #277
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd
 
fifthcircle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Knee deep in diapers, Nebraska.
Oddometer: 5,450
796 feels bigger too. Ergos felt quite small on the 696 to me.... but I am 6' 240#.

I had a 650 strom (sv engine, basically) and I love the 796. Keep it spinning from 3500rpm up, and its great. I think you will find a 796 to be similar to a heavily modded sv, with loads more character!

Stock cans are too quiet, so I'm trying to decide on new slip-ons. Everyone here gets Termignoni's, so naturally I refuse to do that ;)


Old ones? To each their own, but I'm pretty happy with the new one.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #278
Steveo.
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
796 feels bigger too. Ergos felt quite small on the 696 to me.... but I am 6' 240#.

I had a 650 strom (sv engine, basically) and I love the 796. Keep it spinning from 3500rpm up, and its great. I think you will find a 796 to be similar to a heavily modded sv, with loads more character!

Stock cans are too quiet, so I'm trying to decide on new slip-ons. Everyone here gets Termignoni's, so naturally I refuse to do that ;)


Old ones? To each their own, but I'm pretty happy with the new one.
I put Leo Vince carbons on my 796 and like them. They were more afffordable than the Termi's and they sound good. I run them with the baffles in as I warm the bike up before 6AM and it's really loud with them removed. I also don't like the noise on the highway, but they produce a very nice rumble that I enjoy on shorter rides.
__________________
2011 Monster 796
2012 KTM 250XC
Steveo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:34 PM   #279
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd
 
fifthcircle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Knee deep in diapers, Nebraska.
Oddometer: 5,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo. View Post
I put Leo Vince carbons on my 796 and like them. They were more afffordable than the Termi's and they sound good. I run them with the baffles in as I warm the bike up before 6AM and it's really loud with them removed. I also don't like the noise on the highway, but they produce a very nice rumble that I enjoy on shorter rides.
Have you heard the GP cans in person? I kinda like the looks of those over the bigger cans.... I do like the LV carbons though, and haven't ruled them out.

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:56 PM   #280
Steveo.
Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 61
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
Have you heard the GP cans in person? I kinda like the looks of those over the bigger cans.... I do like the LV carbons though, and haven't ruled them out.

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.

I haven't. I've heard the Termi's, and Arrow(stainless) and that's about it. For me, I really only wanted the exhaust to get rid of the big, ugly stock cans. Sound wasn't my main concern.
__________________
2011 Monster 796
2012 KTM 250XC
Steveo. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #281
browneye
PIN IT & BANG GEARS
 
browneye's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Oddometer: 4,309
Thanks guys. I'll have to ride them both I guess. I too am worried I would be wanting the 796 if I went 696. If it doesn't have enough punch I'll be disappointed. I want something that scares the bejesus out of a mere mortal.

Seriously, I really liked my Versys for about 3 years and 8K miles. It was my getting-back-into-street riding after a 4 year hiatus. Moving up to the 800 Tiger was just the ticket. A year now and 7K miles (3 times what I rode the Versys) and just loving it. Has the right blend of power and handling. Just did 200 miles with the wifey on the back today, Malibu canyons, Neptunes Nest for lunch, and the Rock Store. Beautiful day in so-Cal.

I thought a M696 might be a nice little squid bike, but I do hear a lot of riders like a little more punch - so the 796.

I may look for an earlier 800. Do the newer bikes ride and handle better? Or are they similar, just smoother and more refined?

I see some of the earlier models had ohlins. They must be dialed in pretty good with that setup.
__________________
Chris Brown - "The Browneye"
"Without Motorcycles, People Live Very Boring Lives." - Malcolm Smith
browneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 07:00 PM   #282
fifthcircle
Beer Knurd
 
fifthcircle's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Knee deep in diapers, Nebraska.
Oddometer: 5,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveo. View Post
I haven't. I've heard the Termi's, and Arrow(stainless) and that's about it. For me, I really only wanted the exhaust to get rid of the big, ugly stock cans. Sound wasn't my main concern.
I don't mind the look of the stock cans, but good lord are they heavy! I'm after some sound... I want a noisy bike for a while. I'll get another quiet one when I can get out for longer rides again (2 little kids...no big trips for a few years).

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntiHero View Post

In short, adaptation is the precursor to growth and seeking out difficult, uncomfortable and challenging situations accelerates development, enriches our lives and provides us with the kind of awesome fucking memories that will sustain us until a final sleep rounds our little lives.
BLOG
fifthcircle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #283
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BobPS's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by browneye View Post
(snip) I may look for an earlier 800. Do the newer bikes ride and handle better? Or are they similar, just smoother and more refined?
I don't know how the older ones handle, but my 795 handles and rides great.

I rode a Sportster for ten years before I bought my monster, and the first time I rode my Monster I was really surprise with the way it handles and rides. It feels like the bike just disapear from underneath me, it's really light and really agile.. it feels like I can change direction just by thinking about it.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #284
BobPS
Gnarly Adventurer
 
BobPS's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2012
Location: Jakarta, Indonesia
Oddometer: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthcircle View Post
I don't mind the look of the stock cans, but good lord are they heavy! I'm after some sound... I want a noisy bike for a while. I'll get another quiet one when I can get out for longer rides again (2 little kids...no big trips for a few years).

Sent from my fat thumbs on a small touch screen.
The stock cans are heavy, I weighed them and they weigh 8kg, while the Leo Vince that I have on my bike now only weigh 4 kgs. The LV without the db killer, was really loud. I tried it without the db killer for one day, it's just too loud for me... the next day I put the db killer back on.
BobPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:46 PM   #285
BMW-K
F800GS FTW!
 
BMW-K's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Anaheim, CA
Oddometer: 1,211
I have an Arrow Works Titanium exhaust. It has roughly...2mm of restriction.

With the DB Killer out it's not quite obnoxiously loud. But it is dang loud. I actually am quite cautious in my neighborhood and try to keep it quiet in early mornings.

On the other hand it's got a great sound, that performance boominess. The Termi's are just a tad deeper sounding though.

Anyway what I really wanted to touch on is this: a number of the exhausts hang off the passenger peg and in some cases the hanger just isn't good looking at all. The Arrow hanger is just not pretty at all. I made my own to work around that.

Anyway, Just take a good luck at the hanger - it's all part of the aesthetics.

Oh, and don't expect any performance gains unless you remap the chip. Gotta do the remap or it's not useful.
__________________
2010 F800GS Anniversary - a return to Eden
2011 Yamaha WR250R, 2012 Ducati Monster
2007 R1200GS (Sold)

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014