Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 05:33 AM   #16
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,320
A buddy had an S4, and after his first major service, he was in shock! $1200 for a valve adjustment and belts! He sold it before the next major inspection. Factor in the cost of service and see if the fun factor is worth it to you.
Old 11-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #17
llamapacker
Mr. Conservative

Oddometer: 1,162
The Street Triple R would be the better handling naked for that map. Just saying.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:25 AM   #18
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 3,809
Have had the 696 for over two seasons now 12 K miles and have no complaints, it is what it is!

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #19
10/10ths
Road Trip Fool

Oddometer: 872
Looking at your requirments...

...the Monster is PERFECT.

MonsterTestRide by Shooter158, on Flickr

I have ridden this ole' girl from Lake Charles, Louisiana to Luckenbach, Texas in a day. Nine hours in the saddle. No problemo. I get 180 miles before the reserve light comes on. I can ride 200 miles until I'm pushing her.

Just buy one and start LIVING.

Don't worry, be HAPPY.

2004 Honda RC51

2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA replaced my '04 Wee 2-14
10/10ths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:33 AM   #20
mammal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 168
No good reason not too, especially if you go with an older metal-tanked fuel injected model. I had a 620ie I put thousands of miles on, and loved it. Handled great on twisty roads and around town. Added a Sargeant seat and I could ride for hours, staying on the bike to get gas and just going! Maintenance is actually pretty simple on these, and if you find a good non-dealer mechanic isn't actually that expensive if you don't want to do it yourself. Versatile bikes with an undeserved reputation for unreliability, IMO. I've always thought if I were going to get another Monster I'd go with an M1000ie. A little harder to find than others, but you get the great DS1000 engine, a metal tank, decent suspension, and great looks!
mammal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #21
hillbillypolack
Grumpy Old Goat

Oddometer: 5,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
In the Hyperstrada thread I mentioned that that new bike might sway me from my intended purchase of a new Monster, and I recieved this reply...

and it got me wondering just WTF is wrong with a Monster?
Is there anybody who's not a n00b with 8 posts saying "trust me" with any real reason not to get a Monster?

I loved the ride of the 900M I test rode years ago, and love the look of most naked roadsters.
Why should I trust some annonymous poster with no reasons expressed? I understand that the seat on the new 796 and 1100 Evo are much more comfortable and don't crush you against the tank, and that was my only complaint, but I haven't ridden either of the new ones yet.
Nothing wrong with Monsters. . . . that a little education or accessories won't remedy. I have a 96 M900 and an 08 S2R 1000, so I'm biased. Biased both ways.

The 96 is a good bike, but suffered from dodgy forks and some claimed it had a tendency to slap the tank at speed. Sliding the forks up into the triples or adjusting your riding posture help a lot. Heavy clutch pull esp in traffic is tiring, a larger clutch slave or larger master both help, especially since the original slave tended to fail with no warning. The voltage regulator often craps out (again without warning), so just be prepared. The engine is choked up and (more or less) needs slip ons and a jet kit. Opening the airbox helps more. The remainder of the bike is straight forward, and you can throw as many goodies at it as you like.

The 08, though a 'mild' design refresh is a different bike, frame and rear suspension are more 916 like instead of the dual sided swingarm and hoop of the earlier models. Again, unless you're into the S4R, the forks are dodgy and need attention if you like good front end feel. As with the earlier model, they benefit from a clutch slave and re-gearing as well as exhaust slip ons and (this time) an ECU.

The single largest pain in the ass is the fuel tank which expands due to ethanol absorbing humidity and passing it to the polymer of the tank. I got my 08 new, and I'm now on my third tank. Ducati has essentially not addressed the tank situation, instead offering affected bikes new mounting brackets and seats. Or replacing tanks with identical ones made of the same polymer. Tanks swell lifting from their mounts or dripping fuel from the pump location onto the rear of the engine. The bike's performance is good, though this time (as mentioned earlier) fueling is a major oversight when riding in urban traffic. Midrange stomping and roll ons are pretty good. I think many have said the sub-4000 rpm performance of many Ducatis are similar which is unfortunate.

The newest design and the ergos (to me) are far better than the stretched-out position of the S2R. Many controls are right at handfall, torso is as comfortable as legs for a standard. The one I test rode was re-geared (+1 in the front) as well as ECU / slip on for exhaust mods and it felt peppy and very intuitive.

Monsters in general are not 'bad' bikes, but there are better standards out there. Though more expensive and slightly heavier, the R1200R is better and you don't have to fuck with its shortcomings which may be a financial benefit in the long run. But like any bike, especially Ducatis, do your homework and know what you will be getting in to and what you will have to spend beforehand.

Good luck. Now do some test riding.

1996 M900, "Patience" 2012 GS "Sonar" 2008 Megamoto "Big Blue" 2008 S2R "WTF"
hillbillypolack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:02 AM   #22
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,555
I don't care for the FI ones and I really don't like the new ones at all, but if you find an old carbie one to play with they are a blast! And cheap these days too!
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:28 AM   #23
JustKip OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,778
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
The Street Triple R would be the better handling naked for that map. Just saying.
I appreciate the suggestion of possible alternatives. I love the performnce of Triumph's triples and I've put more than a few miles on a friends Tiger 800 "roadie". Unfortunately, your Street Trip, as well as your wife's 696, are too cramped for my 34" inseam. The Speed Trip is top heavy and slower steering than my GS, but the fit and the engine are awesome.

Edit; WOW. alot's showed up since i started tis post an hour ago

JustKip screwed with this post 11-30-2012 at 08:35 AM
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:48 AM   #24
zooomgovroom
hooligan-esque

Oddometer: 68
I used to own an 01 M900ie and until it was agreed to hand it over to the ex wife in property settlement. I put 29,000 problem free miles on it. I laid it down once on the track when I got rear ended by a douchebag heading into a corner too hot and it wasn't terribly expensive or hard to repair and get back on the road. I miss that bike! I still have a 98 Monster 900 that isn't streetable at all currently that was my track bitch. I am getting ready to make it street legal for my fiancee to upgrade to from her 05 M620ie. I don't personally like the newer evolution of Monsters as to me they don't look as customizable without a whole lot more work and money. So if customizing is at all on your adgenda, that is something worthy of considering. Kinda the KISS principle, but as it pertains to a Ducati of course. I did all kinds of things to mine to make it my own though, and didn't spend as much as many had and did all the labor myself without issue.

here's my old 01

and here is an older shot of my 98 track monster in one of the previous set-ups...a few things have changed since of course...

I think the bottom line about a Monster, or any bike for that matter, is deciding if it is the right bike for you ergonomically, financially, and in terms of your utility. Using the right machine for the job is like using the right tool for the job. While there are many other ways to do something, sometimes it makes more sense to buy the right tool the 1st time to make everytime you need/want to use it, as simple as possible.

-12/19/07-zarn02 on the DML
zooomgovroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:49 AM   #25
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,175
I got an extended test ride on a Monster 796 this summer. I was 100% certain I was going to buy the bike and a dealer near me had a used one. I got 100 yards out of the lot and was immediately skeptical. I rode and rode...about 45 minutes. It was just all wrong for me. Tons of power, of course. Amazing brakes, of course. But the power was snatchy, the riding position was just...weird. Not sportbike, not standard, not dual-sport...just kinda odd. The seat slides you down and forward into the tank...everybod points it out, but you don't get it until you're on the bike. It just makes the whole thing unbalanced.

Anyway...I really, really wanted to get that bike. It's another lesson in: Always find a way to do a test ride first.

Believe it or not, but I rode that Monster with a tense frown on my face for 45 minutes. Then I went to the Honda dealer and rode a CBR250R for a half hour with a big grin. Guess which one followed me home?

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace[/SIZE]
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 08:56 AM   #26
DiabloADV
Semi-Occasional

Oddometer: 2,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by llamapacker View Post
+1

Now that is a bike I'd trade out my little Honda for. I rode a Street Trip on a guided Triumph demo day ride and it is an AWESOME city/backroad bike.

Only reason I didn't get one is that the used ones don't have ABS. In a year or so, I imagine I'll be able to pick up a used ABS Street Trip.

'91 Bill Holland Steel w/Dura Ace[/SIZE]
'01 Z3 3.0 Coupe. The Clownshoe.
DiabloADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #27
AKDuc
Alaska Born Ducatisti

Oddometer: 6,509
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustKip View Post
My local dealer has a nice used S4R, but I find the radiator hidious...like a marks-a-lot moustache on the Venus de Milo
I'm not partial to the look of the radiator either so I painted the ends of mine a flat or semi-gloss black. I think it helped make it a lot less obtrusive. You can get shrouds too if you like that look.

I added Clear Alternatives signal lenses after this photo was taken. I also think the Dual Star mirrors really cleaned up the overall look as well. IMO with wider bars like these they offer a good view between your body and under your arms if you're thin.

AKDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #28
Desertbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,069
I got this 2010 1100 new a couple of years ago. It's run perfectly since. I've put on a Sargent seat and Akrapovic slip-ons, as well as an open clutch cover and Pazzo levers. Great torque; very fun. The engine has a distinctive twin character -- lopey and relaxed at idol, but an angry bag of hammers on the gas.

I think how well you fit on it would be a determining factor. I'm a little tall (6'2"/34"IS) but it's still fine for an hour or two.

I've got two other bikes (RT & T-100) and will probably add a Sertao soon, but I'm planning on keeping the Monster a long time.
Desertbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #29
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Monsters are great...I miss my old one. I'm not a huge fan of the new ones, although the 1100 can be made to look nice. The 2000 & 2001 (fuel injected) 900s are my favorite. If you get the older style one, make sure it has a steel tank.

My old 2001 M900...very fun bike to ride:
WMRRA #98
JJGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 09:29 AM   #30
ParaMud
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 620
I have a sv650 and a monster 695 in the garage. I would recomend the sv650 over it. While my girlfriend would recomend the 695 over the sv.

I just did a valve adjustment on the 2v monster, easy as pie.

The monster just doesnt do it for me, but its a good bike.