Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
fuggy OP
Canyon Explorer

Oddometer: 661
Helmet Lights & Stock Light Upgrade (enduro/trail riding)

Seems like many of us have a nice bicycle light laying around or a stock headlight that doesn't do much on the dirt bike. I had an older $300 Niterider light I bought 5 years ago that I wanted to use while trail riding with my motorcycle helmet. I tried mounting it to the top and sides of the helmet. In the end, the best position seemed to be on the side of the helmet (see pics in video). I made my own helmet mount with some scraps laying around the house.

I also wanted more light from my stock KTM 450 headlight, so I purchased a RIGID Industries 'Dually'. Very happy with how durable the light is! The lense is shatterproof, waterproof, and the LEDs are powerfull and draw very little power off my stock battery. The light will actually run over 1 hour on a household 9volt battery. I know there is many other companies that also make similar products for similar prices. I support RIGID since they are local to me and support local off-road race teams. For those thinking about upgrading, check them out. They also make a 'D2' with 6 LED's and might even be better for those looking for high-speed performance lighting:
http://www.rigidindustries.com/category-s/131.htm

Video of my light set-up(GoPro camera hardly does it justice @ night):

ON a side note, FST Motorsports in PHX is also making a complete LED light bar and mounting hardware for around $250 customized to your bike. (I spent $90 on my Dually and made my own mounts).

fuggy screwed with this post 12-04-2012 at 08:39 PM Reason: video embed
fuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
SantaRosa
I'd rather be lost

Oddometer: 214
Helmet mount

It would be nice to see some pictures of the helmet mount you came up with. Nice video!
SantaRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 05:38 AM   #3
fuggy OP
Canyon Explorer

photos of helmet mount

here is some pics of my home brew mount, which seems to be stable with the light mounted here:

For the bike I made a 1/4" alloy plate that attaches to the lower triple clamp:

Here is my buddy's light set-up. He got a cheaper 12 LED light made in China and had some fab guys make a nice mount for his WR450:(he has yet to test it yet)
Old 12-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
Renegade_Azzy
Kamen Rider

Oddometer: 383
that one looks like a mountain bike light. While I do appreciate the creativity in the mount, dont they make helmet mounts for those already (the ones i have had did.. solid and elastic)
Old 12-04-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
fuggy OP
Canyon Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade_Azzy View Post
that one looks like a mountain bike light. While I do appreciate the creativity in the mount, dont they make helmet mounts for those already (the ones i have had did.. solid and elastic)
yes, it is a mt. bike light....which came with mt. bike mounts for a mt. bike helmet. The mounts don't work with a moto helmet. I tried mounting the light to the top of my helmet with a 3M tape mount like GoPro camera's use, but the small surface area of the mount wasn't ideal (lots of wobble) and I seemed to snag the light on trees more having it on top of the helmet. The mount I made served these purposes: lightweight, sturdy, universal, cheap.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:24 PM   #6
SantaRosa
I'd rather be lost

Oddometer: 214
Thanks for sharing

This should be posted in "Thinking outside the box...Post your Farkels!"

Each mount is excellent but the helmet mounts are ingenious making so much sense.
What if you used 3m Dual Lock to attach to helmet? Just a thought

Great Job, thanks for sharing.
SantaRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,486
Interesting solutions for night riding.

Do you ride your bike on the street or is it dirt only? The light bar setup looks heavy to me

I offer a headlight replacement for KTMs. Adjustable low beam, the high beam is awesome. Plug n play electrics. Weighs about the same as OE headlight.

Tree at 100 yds

sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
JensEskildsen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 949
My helmetlight compared to the bikes light, which already runs on osram nightbreaker trough a relay:

Mini foglight, and 55w xenon kit, powered by the bike. It's probably brighter than your random car:

Old 04-23-2013, 02:41 PM   #9
goodspark
Baja Rider

Oddometer: 29
ouch, on the screws pointed at your brain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensEskildsen View Post
My helmetlight compared to the bikes light, which already runs on osram nightbreaker trough a relay:

Mini foglight, and 55w xenon kit, powered by the bike. It's probably brighter than your random car:
goodspark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 02:43 PM   #10
goodspark
Baja Rider

Oddometer: 29
How do those compare to the nightrider HID you've got there, subjective description? I've ridden with those and they are pretty good, not really an "only" light, but a nice addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuggy View Post
Seems like many of us have a nice bicycle light laying around or a stock headlight that doesn't do much on the dirt bike. I had an older $300 Niterider light I bought 5 years ago that I wanted to use while trail riding with my motorcycle helmet. I tried mounting it to the top and sides of the helmet. In the end, the best position seemed to be on the side of the helmet (see pics in video). I made my own helmet mount with some scraps laying around the house.
goodspark is offline   Reply With Quote