User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
twray OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Anyone switch from BMW GS//GSA to Yamaha FJR1300

Anyone ever switched from GS/GSA to a FJR1300 and have any imput? I just sold my GSA, it was too tall and as I get older, 63, I wont be doing anymore serious offroad stuff. The new FJR sounds nice with cruise, heated grips and other new upgrades.
Thanks in advance.....
twray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:17 AM   #2
madeouttaglass
The AntiHarley

Oddometer: 3,037
Both my brother and I had a GSA and GS respectively while in our mid 40s. I've now been on an FJR for four years and couldn't be happier. Best all around bike I've ever had. I'm sure there are some that have gone the other way and are just as happy. FWIW- my brother is now on a Road Glide because of old man knee issues.

Escape from NY- http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=955520
madeouttaglass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,251
I'm halfway there.. Switched from GS to SuperTenere. If I could only have 1 bike, the Yamaha SuperTenere does it all for me: Touring, sport touring and off pavement (not off road). Yamaha's have the longest valve inspection interval of any of its competition (24K miles / 42K km). What I like about the new FJR is that they took an already excellent bike and updated it, so you're not buying a brand new bike with undiscovered potential "known issues". I see one in my future.

The riding position is more aggressive / sportier than the GS's, so you might want to factor in the cost of Helibars' triple clamp swap ($330) Helibars will give you a more upright riding position and the bars are adjustable and can be mounted in 1 of 2 positions. But if you won't miss going off pavement, the FJR should fit the bill, but a test ride is your ultimate deciding factor.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:58 AM   #4
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,836
Well ... sort of.
I had a GS1150 a few years ago and now have an FJR1300 with a Honda ST1300 and V-Strom DL1000 in between.
The GS handled marvelously and made decent power and was comfortable.
The FJR is an entirely different beast: lower, much heavier, way more power, a sportier riding position (although for me, at least, totally comfortable.)
I'm 6' and my knees don't bother me on the FJR with the saddle in the lower position. Nor do my wrists even with the slightly leaned-forward position. Others find it a little cramped or too sporty. I don't but YMMV ...
If I had the coin, I'd love to have both in my garage (well, an R1200GS) but I decided awhile back that sport tourers are more my bag.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:50 AM   #5
KentuckyBob
n00b

Oddometer: 4
My brother and I too both had GSA's and switched to '12 FJRs. I bought mine in March and now have over 13k on it with no trouble at all. Rock-solid reliable and it is comfortable. I am in mid=50s and have no trouble spending 12+ hrs a day on it. I do use an airhawk though which makes the stock seat fine. When I want to go far I ride the FJR for it's mile munching capabilities. Locally, it is somewhat boring because it wants to run. I ride the Bonny for that. Fairly easy to work on and many available parts at a reasonable price compared to BMW. No regrets.
KentuckyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
Josh69
Uhhh

Oddometer: 587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
Well ... sort of.
I had a GS1150 a few years ago and now have an FJR1300 with a Honda ST1300 and V-Strom DL1000 in between.
The GS handled marvelously and made decent power and was comfortable.
The FJR is an entirely different beast: lower, much heavier, way more power, a sportier riding position (although for me, at least, totally comfortable.)
I'm 6' and my knees don't bother me on the FJR with the saddle in the lower position. Nor do my wrists even with the slightly leaned-forward position. Others find it a little cramped or too sporty. I don't but YMMV ...
If I had the coin, I'd love to have both in my garage (well, an R1200GS) but I decided awhile back that sport tourers are more my bag.
Slight thread hijack: how do you find the FJR compared to the ST1300. I've got the ST13 now, but the FJR is a little lighter and my ST13 get a handlebar shake at about 110 mph.

Easter Mekong Tour
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=329194

Streets of Vietnam
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335816

Current bike: 2008 Honda CBF-600
Josh69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh69 View Post
Slight thread hijack: how do you find the FJR compared to the ST1300. I've got the ST13 now, but the FJR is a little lighter and my ST13 get a handlebar shake at about 110 mph.
I prefer the FJR ... slightly.
At current prices, it's a better bargain.
Engine performance is similar. I'll give the Yam a slight edge because it has more up top but still has amazing torque, as does the ST, as you already know.
Looks are subjective but I prefer the FJR.
I'll give the handling edge to the FJR by a small margin. It just seems to track a little better.
Ergos are again very similar. I like them both about the same. However, heat management is far superior on the FJR. No comparison. The FJR might be slightly more cramped but I got used to it quickly. I was initially concerned with both bikes regarding riding position and too much weight on my wrists but it proved to be a non-issue with them and, of course, there are aftermarket bar risers available if so inclined.
Both stock saddles are pretty good. I give a slight edge to the Yamaha; it's quite firm and comfy for me.
Windscreen adjustment and wind management is better, IMHO, on the ST as are the clocks. The info is easier to digest on the Honda for me.
If you like sport-tourers, I just don't think you can go wrong with either bike. They are both fast, smooth, reliable, durable and wonderful to ride. It's a win/win.

P.S. Two more things swing me towards the FJR: bag liners are included with the bike and heated grips are standard.

Rider screwed with this post 12-02-2012 at 12:39 PM
Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 03:46 PM   #8
ninepeaks9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by twray View Post
Anyone ever switched from GS/GSA to a FJR1300 and have any imput? I just sold my GSA, it was too tall and as I get older, 63, I wont be doing anymore serious offroad stuff. The new FJR sounds nice with cruise, heated grips and other new upgrades.
Thanks in advance.....
I've had a few Super Sport Tourers the last few years. 1150RT, ST1300, FJR1300, and 1200RT. They are all top heavy bikes. I took each bike to 3000 mile trips and sold them immediately afterwards. They were great bikes as long as you were moving above parking lot speeds but a handful below that. I swapped my 12RT with 12R and couldn't be happier.

ninepeaks9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,093
I had strongly considered a used 2nd gen FJR to replace my DL1000, almost solely for it's reputation for planted stability in high winds. Took out a traded in 1st gen for a demo ride, in near gale force wind conditions last year and it's planted stability in said conditions, was outstanding at speeds up to 160kms/hr.

But for myself personally, the big bore inline 4 vibrations through the bars, were intolerable on this particular bike and throttle body sync aside, I had to sadly remove this model from my considerations.

My new to me 2010 Buell XB12X will help me to retain my licence far better, than an Autobahn tourer anyways...

My point is simply, always ensure yourself of a demo ride, to make sure the mc meets one's real world expectations.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
Ride-a-lot
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL View Post
But for myself personally, the big bore inline 4 vibrations through the bars, were intolerable on this particular bike and throttle body sync aside, I had to sadly remove this model from my considerations.

My new to me 2010 Buell XB12X will help me to retain my licence far better, than an Autobahn tourer anyways...

996DL
I never would have guessed that someone would consider the vibration on an FJR objectionable, but not a problem on a Buell. I'm surprised!
Ride-a-lot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:19 AM   #11
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,093
The same year, I had a friend's 05 ST1300 turbine smoothy, put my right hand to sleep...

The Buell's losing the rock hard oem heated grips pronto and getting a set of ODi's Mushroom grips, first thing this coming spring. Reminds me of an isolastic Norton, in a good way...
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #12
St. Arbucks
Looking for clues...

Oddometer: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh69 View Post
Josh: IF you are getting handlebar shake on the ST at 110 mph, you might get the bike checked out mechanically. Most ST's are fairly smooth up there.

On the other hand, if you like cruising triple digits regularly (and can dodge the Fuzz), perhaps a Bandit or FZ1--tricked out for touring--would be more to your liking. This site also has many Busa owners setting their bikes up for Sport Touring.

Good luck.

2013 Tiger 800 XC, 2007 ST-1300, 1991 KLX-650

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe...
St. Arbucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 06:03 PM   #13
nevermind
Swamp Thing

Oddometer: 2,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by twray View Post
Thanks in advance.....
I rode a 2008 R1200GS for about a year and now have a 2013 FJR1300.

My GS was a big comfy couch with a "sit up and beg" riding position that would take me on any road or jeep trail I wanted to go. I mistook it for a big dirt bike. It isn't one. The GS has a very refined motor and fueling. Top shelf stuff. The very compliant suspension is never troubled, but I found the steering inputs detached and distant after coming from years of riding conventionally suspended bikes. My summation? The big GS was so utterly and completely competent it put me to sleep. It moved my body and took me cool places, but it didn't move my soul.

My 2013 FJR has a pleasant, slightly aggressive riding position, terrific electrically adjustable windscreen, comfy suspension and some very cool electronic features. The bags are big enough, but more importantly, very nicely integrated into the lines of the bike. They look right. The handling at stock settings is on the soft side, which is fine for day-long runs. The motor has a tame side. It will happily glide along all day through the countryside at legal speeds and get over 40 mpg. The other side of the coin is more "fire breathing dragon". Don't get me wrong, it is no Hayabusa. It is, however, a mighty comfy 660lb touring machine that wants to be a Hayabusa when it grows up. It is quick enough to keep your brain engaged when you exercise the throttle. There is no way I'm falling asleep on this one!
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #14
Unleaded
Unit Train

Oddometer: 726
I can absolutely see making this switch. I had a BMW GSA for awhile. Brilliant motorcycle, and it did everything right. I'll have another someday, if finances allow. But it will be as a touring rig - not as an only bike. I found it to be somewhat uninspiring for the 90% of riding I do that isn't touring. The FJR is a sweet bike. Plenty fast and plenty comfortable to be an "all-things" bike. I'd have one, for sure.
Old 12-11-2012, 07:12 AM   #15
straightrod
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by JXBryson View Post
Josh: IF you are getting handlebar shake on the ST at 110 mph, you might get the bike checked out mechanically. Most ST's are fairly smooth up there.

On the other hand, if you like cruising triple digits regularly (and can dodge the Fuzz), perhaps a Bandit or FZ1--tricked out for touring--would be more to your liking. This site also has many Busa owners setting their bikes up for Sport Touring.

Good luck.
Motordog1 had a ZX-14 set up for touring. It looked real nice. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=461016
straightrod is offline   Reply With Quote